Old 04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Scenario Design Contest Winner 

Re: SB Pro PE 2.654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssnake View Post
That lies in the nature of Gaussian normal distributions. The biggest difference is to be found in the rare rounds that go really astray - but in order to see the effect, you have to shoot thousands of rounds...Still, you are right to the extent that the dispersion of the 40mm cannon is substantially higher than that of, say, the 120mm gun ... but it's notably better than that of the 25mm Bushmaster gun, to put things in perspective.
History Lesson #36: back in the '60's, the Bren light machine gun was very accurate. I watched one crew take down a telephone pole with one (28 round) magazine. It was almost too accurate, as it didn't have much dispersion, and so was marginally effective on a spread out (e.g., infantry section) target. Maybe the first fully automatic sniper weapon!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Campaign CO Blue Campaign CO Red 

Our Infantry guys are going down a similar path.

You need to get a "group" of less than X to qualify on the Minimi - sort of pointless I think for a MG that's supposed to give you a "Beaten Zone", "Cone of Fire", etc. and generally relies on dispersion to do the job.

Mark (}-:
LTCOL RAAC
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonm View Post
Our Infantry guys are going down a similar path.
You need to get a "group" of less than X to qualify on the Minimi - sort of pointless I think for a MG that's supposed to give you a "Beaten Zone", "Cone of Fire", etc. and generally relies on dispersion to do the job.
IMHO, you're absolutely right. MGs aren't supposed to be sniper rifles (said he, who fired Centurion and Cougar coax, Ferret .30 GPMG and Lynx .50 HMG) . But be careful, Mark: people might start to group you in with me, and I'm an "Old Guy!!"
Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango29 View Post
IMHO, you're absolutely right. MGs aren't supposed to be sniper rifles (said he, who fired Centurion and Cougar coax, Ferret .30 GPMG and Lynx .50 HMG) . But be careful, Mark: people might start to group you in with me, and I'm an "Old Guy!!"
Ahhmmm! One of the USA's best snipers used a M2 .5" machine gun as a sniper rifle and up to recently had the longest recorded kill rnge with it ( quick google search....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia

M2 as a sniper rifle

The M2 machine gun has also been used as a long-range sniper rifle, when equipped with a telescopic sight. Soldiers during the Korean War used scoped M2s in the role of a sniper rifle, but the practice was most notably used by US Marine Corps sniper Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War. Using an Unertl telescopic sight and a mounting bracket of his own design, Hathcock could quickly convert the M2 into a sniper rifle, using the traversing-and-elevating (T&E) mechanism attached to the tripod and a bolt on pistol grip kit that converts the M2 to fire semi-automatically by activating the trigger on the side plate to assist in aiming at stationary targets.[citation needed] When firing semi-automatically, Hathcock hit man-size targets beyond 2000 yards—twice the range of a standard-caliber sniper rifle of the time (a .30-06 Winchester Model 70). In fact, Hathcock set the record for the longest confirmed kill at 2,460 yards or 1.3 miles (2,250 m), a record which stood until 2002.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Campaign CO Blue Campaign CO Red 

Yes but the M2 has a special selector switch which turns it from a MG to a single shot weapon.

So just unlock it and you'll go from 450-550 rpm to 1.

Mark (}-:
LTCOL RAAC

Last edited by Gibsonm; 04-02-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonm View Post
Yes but the M2 has a special selector switch which truns it from a MG to a single shot weapon.
So just unlock it and you'll go from 450-550 rpm to 1.
A Brit holds the current longest range sniper kill record (well done, CoH Harrison), using a .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge. Prior to him, two Canadians had the record, both using .50 cal cartridges. But these were NOT machine guns, or machine gun cartridges. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest...d_sniper_kills

There is a photo of the macMillan Tac-50 rifle that the two Canadians used to the right of the information table.

OK, back to armoured warfare...NOW!!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rump View Post
Thanks for the patch!

In regard to the changes made for the Leopards, does anyone also see the following behaviour?

- Hotkeys for the Peri slewing mode: can't find them in the controls list

- Laser key: doesn't work (can't turn it or remove it)

- Air Temp, Crosswind, Altitude, Ammo temp values don't show

- Still able to input range via keyboard

Tested in Leo 1A5 Dk, Leo 2A4 and Leopardo

- Rump
Also ...

"Prevented the player's use of binoculars while being in the troop leader position (F11) inside of an IFV."

Still usable for me. Tested in M2, CV9035, M113
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 AM
Friday Night Battle CO - 100x Friday Night Battle Scenario Maker - 10x Campaign CO Red Campaign CO Blue Online Campaign Coordinator SB Pro PE Beta Tester Scenario Contest Judge 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Also ...

"Prevented the player's use of binoculars while being in the troop leader position (F11) inside of an IFV."

Still usable for me. Tested in M2, CV9035, M113
Yes, we are working on our internal communication; this really only happens with a patch because there is a lot of parallel work going on. In any case, the patch is really only bug fixes -- if someone's spots what sounds like it contradicts behavior mentined in notes then yes, it is our mistake in our internal record keeping. This is mainly only the case with enhancements. Anyway, we will get better.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Scenario Contest Judge SB Pro PE Beta Tester 

One point was probably my fault - many of the Leopard 2 ballistic computer related issues will not make it into the Personal Edition because they are gunnery-specific elements (which were always reserved for the classroom version). We don't want to overcomplicate matters.
I shouldn't have copied and pasted them into the release notes in the first place.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Tree Assassin

Location: In the forest, with an M109, a hatchet and some worried trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssnake View Post
I shouldn't have copied and pasted them into the release notes in the first place.
The following is an (approximate) extract from Ssnake's internal monolog:

"Ah, Cut & Paste, we meet again, when I left I was but a learner, now I am, er, still the learner. B**ger"

Tyrannical Martinet, (2IC) UK Armour.