T.A.N.K.S. Saturday Mission 29/11/14

Asid

T.A.N.K.S. mission 29/11/14 20:00 GMT

82dd2733-c183-4c50-bb50-260b66bf6210_zps5eefdea5.png

TF Cougar Defend Against TF Red COOP DOW

Map_zps74214ff0.jpg

Mission summary:

Match between Danish and American Forces. Americans consist of M1A2(SEP), M3A2 CFV, M2A2 IFV, HMMWV TOW Scouts, Apache, Tiger (less Missiles)(Scouts), M109 Artillery, Mortars, Engineers, Air-defense, and support units. Danish forces consist of Leo2A5A2, Leo2A5A1, CV90/35DK, EagleIV(recon), Apache, Tiger (less Missiles)(Scouts), M109 Artillery, Mortars, Engineers, Air-defense, and support units. Each side must try to hold three key avenue objectives, and breakthrough enemy lines, while staying combat effective for follow-on missions.

Excerpts of the battalion commander's orders for...TF Cougar

1) SITUATION:

a)Enemy: Enemy consists of a combined taskforce of armor, IFV, Scouts, and support units. Most likely ground unit

configuration of enemy is one Cavalry Troop, one Armor Company, and one Infantry Company. Enemy will have, artillery, and other support assets.

b)Friendly: A Armor Company with scout platoon, B Calvary Troop, C Infantry Company, D Artillery/Apache/and support units, E Taskforce

Support. On the right TF Blue, Left TF Green, rear Division reserve, front none. Division has tasked us TF Red with attacking

force to secure avenues of attack, and defeat enemy in sector. Friendly units are rested and well supplied.

c)Attachments: TF Cougar will have multiple assets for recovery, repair, supply, artillery, and mortars.

2) Mission: TF Cougar will conduct a hasty defense in sector to secure objectives Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta, and defeat enemy in sector, to provide safe

avenues of attack for follow on forces with the least amount of losses possible <30%.

3) Execution:

Intent: Unit commander is tasked with primary goal of holding objectives Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta. Secondary Goal of defeating enemy in sector

and exploiting gains to the victory line.

a)Concept of Operation: Designed by Player

i) Maneuver: Player

ii) Fires: Player

iii) Additional assets: Player

b)Tasks to Maneuver units: Designed by Player

c)Tasks to Combat Support Units: Designed by Player

d)Coordinating Instructions: Designed by Player

5) Command and Signals: Designed by Player

** Notes **

SB Version: 3.011

Mission Name: TF Cougar Defend Against TF Red COOP DOW By Cougar11

Multi-Crew: Yes

Single Crew: Yes

Mission Type: Co-OP

Mission Duration: 90 mins approx

Date: Saturday 29/11/14

Time: 20:00 GMT http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20141129T20&p0=136&msg=T.A.N.K.S.+%28Steel+Beasts%29&csz=1

Teamspeak Download (windows): http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads&type=ts3_windows_client_latest

Teamspeak IP: 216.22.24.158 , Port 9987

Room: Dogs of War

If you need Port forwarding or ANY help then please come early

You can just listen if you wish by using Teamspeak. You do NOT need Steel Beasts.

Required:

Teamspeak Download (windows): http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads&type=ts3_windows_client_latest

Teamspeak IP: 216.22.24.158 , Port 9987

You can watch it live. You do NOT need Steel Beasts. Stay tuned....

All Welcome

Edited by Asid

After what happened last night with those crap Warriors (Sabot magnets), Happy to use the M2 Bradleys again! I don't EVER want to use an IFV who's gunner sights are the back side of a turret wall!!! All I ask of Cougar is if he can equip my dismounts with the latest ATM. I hit a T-72 in the ass at point blank range and all I did was piss it off! Time for upgrades. I seriously doubt if the AT-4 will be any effective against the Leo2A5s (even though any type of ATM would have killed a tank on a rear shot in real life).

Wardancer,

You will not have to worry about going against Leos in this coop. Enemy are T80/90 and BMP-2s. Its a hot and heavy mission. Either you hold your positions, or you do not. I feel for you in the warriors last night. Definitely need your dismounts to do most of the work for you in the warrior, especially against tanks. See you later today.

On that note I do not get off work till 2000 GMT, and will be online at 2030. If you all are ok waiting cook, but if not I understand.

I hope all enjoy the game.

Cougar11

Not sure about the briefing, may have been a mix up. I am not at my PC to put up anything different at the moment.

From memory there is a Soviet Rifle Battalion moving south. TF Cougar has moved in to the AO, and must occupy hasty defenses, and hold A-D Objectives. 4 air strikes, 3 batteries of arty. Enemy does have artillery support, and air defenses. Friendly units, 2 Leo2A5DK, 3 M1A2SEP, 2 M3A2, 3 M2A2, Tiger Scout helos (no helfires). Arty called only from FO vehicles.

Coguar11

That was perhaps the bloodiest engagement I have ever participated in. I controlled all of C Company (14 Bradleys, 28 dismount teams) and was assigned to hold OBJ Charlie. My dismounts killed a good 12 AFVs before they ran out of AT-4 shots. Had I been issued reloads, I could have made the area a death trap! It wasn't until I received tank support that we were able to clear out the area. The losses were staggering: 11 of 14 M2's lost and 70 of 84 dismounts were dead. But I got the job done!

The problem is that dismounts are only allocated ONE SHOT per rifle team and one reload. In a US infantry dismount squad, they are broken down into 2 three-man teams: rifle team A with an ATM weapons and MG team B with zero ATM weapons. That means only half of a dismount infantry unit can engage AFVs. So I had only 28 shots to hold off one tank and one mechanized companies. Therefore, I ask all who plan on designing scenarios to give the dismounts more reloads. Sure, you can mount back up and automatically reload missiles, but in a heated, prolonged fight, this is just not possible.

Other than that, C Company earned more awards and promotions than any other US company in history...posthumously :D

TThe problem is that dismounts are only allocated ONE SHOT per rifle team and one reload. In a US infantry dismount squad, they are broken down into 2 three-man teams: rifle team A with an ATM weapons and MG team B with zero ATM weapons. That means only half of a dismount infantry unit can engage AFVs. So I had only 28 shots to hold off one tank and one mechanized companies. Therefore, I ask all who plan on designing scenarios to give the dismounts more reloads. Sure, you can mount back up and automatically reload missiles, but in a heated, prolonged fight, this is just not possible.

Sure it may have been an oversight but its a balancing act.

Nor is it possible in RL to hump around a bazillion AT-4 rounds at no detriment.

If you overload them, don't complain when the fatigue levels go through the roof. ;)

I controlled all of C Company (14 Bradleys, 28 dismount teams) and was assigned to hold OBJ Charlie.
So I had only 28 shots to hold off one tank and one mechanized companies.

Well that isn't quite right, lets look at the math.

14 Bradleys = 28 TOW (with 5 reloads per vehicle) = 98

28 teams = 14 Infantry anti armour weapons, each with two shots = 28

So in a "perfect" world that's what 98 TOW shots + 28 = 126 Anti Armour "shots" against 20 vehicles (assuming Soviet groupings of 10 in each Coy).

Say only 25% of the TOWs were fired (some friendly vehicles destroyed before they got a shot off, etc.) that's still enough to destroy all twenty enemy AFV before the Infantry even get in the fight.

Grenny,

Sorry just seen your question.

Actually the Brads in those pics are at grid loc 18, 37 in the center of the map where as the Seps are in the process of taking objective Charlie on the western flank.

Different battle. Sorry I wasn't clear. Those are just some random screens I took.

Grenny,

Sorry just seen your question.

Actually the Brads in those pics are at grid loc 18, 37 in the center of the map where as the Seps are in the process of taking objective Charlie on the western flank.

Different battle. Sorry I wasn't clear. Those are just some random screens I took.

No, that was not my point.

I was asking more in the line: why are tanks in "grunt-land" while the IFV's move (and die) in "tank-land". At least that what the pictures seem to imply.