3.0 Weapon System count

Ssnake

• Members

Since this week we're past the 50% threshold of the new feature presentation, and I suppose it's worth a summary. Update as of June 28:

Playable new weapon systems:

• MBT M1A2 SEP Abrams
  • MBT Leopard 1A5-GE
  • APC M113G4
  • RWS ERCWS-M
  • PMV Iveco LMV
  • ATGM Bill-1
  • ATGM Spike-LR
  • IFV ASCOD Ulan
  • IFV CV90/35-NL
  • M1IP Abrams
  • M1A1 Abrams
  • Leopard 2A5-GE
  • 4x4 Technical-F 2.7t ... with numerous MGs and the TOW launcher as optional weapons
  • IFV FV510 Warrior
  • ASV FV107 Scimitar
  • Leopard 2A5A1-DK
  • Leopard 2A5A2-DK
  • Unimog Supply truck
  • Unimog Troop transport

Playable overhauled or expanded (or auxiliary) weapon systems:
  • APC Boxer/Eng
  • APC Fuchs/Eng
  • IFV M2A2 Bradley/Eng
  • APC M113A2
  • MBT T-72M
  • ATGM Javelin
  • ATGM TOW (strike this, it's playable in 2.654 already)
  • M901
  • M966 (strike this, it's playable in 2.654 already)
  • UAV SensoCopter
  • MBT Challenger 2
  • MBT T-62
  • Wisent ARV
  • Lemur 2013X

Non-Playable new weapon systems:

• LT AMX-13
  • LT PT-76
  • MBT Leopard 1A2
  • MBT Leopard 1V
  • APC BTR-50
  • MBT T-72B(with K1 ERA)
  • AH-64A Apache
  • UH-60 Blackhawk
  • ASV Fennek-NL
  • ASV FV101 Scorpion
  • YPR-I 765
  • YPR-J 765
  • YPR-AT
  • Technical-T with 60mm Mortar
  • Technical-T as a troop transport
  • 60/81mm mortar teams
  • 3.5 t Technical with ZU-23/2 AA gun
  • BM-21 Grad 122mm multiple rocket launcher
  • 2S3 Akatsiya 152mm self-propelled armored howitzer
  • M1064 120mm self-propelled armored mortar carrier
  • IFV BMP-3
  • MBT T-90A
  • PRP-3 artillery observer
  • M109 155mm self-propelled armored howitzer
  • 2S1 122mm self-propelled armored howitzer
  • MAN 10t GL supply truck (well, not a weapon system, but it still counts)
  • BMP ambulance (same as for the previous entry...)
  • T-64A
  • T-64B
  • Unimog Ambulance

New key features:
  • Save mission in progress
    Single player, Multiplayer - doesn't matter. Save whenever you feel like it.
  • Join multiplayer sessions in progress
    If the host pauses the session and invites other players
  • Scripted mount/dismount command
  • Any infantry unit may mount any vehicles
    (the days of the parent-child relationship are over)
  • Weather control
    Dynamic changes of visibility, air temperature, barometric pressure, crosswind speed and direction; more in preparation (but not in 3.0)
  • Nation-specific camouflage options
  • Multisidedness
    Non-combatants, and irregular fighters
    About 90 western-looking civilians, and 20 Afghan characters
  • Parties may change allegiance towards you (or other parties) during a mission
  • Super-easy scripting for the creation of directed and random traffic, both pedestrians and cars
  • Four new or updated maps - Hannover-Weserbergland, Kouvola, Paderborn, Pakhajärvi
  • Functional artillery in 3D battlespace with realistic limitations in cadence, range, available trajectories
  • In high realism, artillery strikes will no longer be shown on the map screen. At all. You can still order a strike from the map view, but you'll have to memorize where it'll land (and when), and there's no feedback about the actual location. This strongly favors observed fire.

Like I wrote, we're about halfway through. Tired already?

;)

I have to caution you about the release date however. July 4th may not work out. We're nominally three weeks before the date, and one last key feature has not yet been implemented. Based on past experience this suggests that we would either have to skip that feature, or to further delay the release date. I think that SB Pro PE 3.0 would be incomplete if we shipped it with the old effects animations that you have seen in some of the recent screenshots. Therefore I tend to favor pushing back the release. We won't go overboard with the eye candy so not to delay the release too much, but fire and smoke and dust at the very minimum need to get updated.

I'll keep you posted about the situation as I have news to report.

Edited by Ssnake
General update of the list

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to wait (caution: perhaps not a sentiment shared by all though). :)

I wouldn't say happy, c'mon now, but I have no problem waiting until said effects are implemented (IMO a good call, Ssnake). :)

A consolation video may be required to appease others though. :debile2:

Like I wrote, we're about halfway through. Tired already?

Heck no! The more 'til 3.0 the better.

On another note, I just noticed this on Ssnake's list under new key features: "Nation-specific camouflage options". Nice feature. I wonder if there's a new vehicle "preview" feature as well.

Also, how many new playable and non-playable weapons systems (respectively) are we expecting again?

A nice new top-of-the-line Russian vehicle like the T-90A would be reasonable addition and could be expected to appear as an implemented vehicle fairly soon.

A Leclerc would be a nice addition as well. It would offer a nice alternative to the saturated Leo line , Abrams series and Challenger 2.

Exotic MBTs like a Merkava 1 would trully be like icing on the cake in a way.

One can hope and dream :biggrin:

And yes, the Leo2a5 GE does look really nice :)

there are a lot Leopards:

Leopard 1A5 DK

Leopard 1AS

Leopard 2A4

Leopard 2A5 DK

Strv 122

Leopard 2E

Leopard 1A5 GE

Leopard 1V

Leopard 1A2

(Leopard 2A5 GE + Leopard 2A6 GE ???) :shocked:

So we have 9, potentially even 11 Leopards to chose from. Compare that to the 3 Abrams variants (M1, M1A1 HA, M1A2 SEP) and single Challenger 2 (uparmored) variant. The Leopard line is indeed a little bit saturated compared to the other MBTs. :)

• Members
Bill-1 isn't new is it?

Well... I count it as a new system because so far we only had an ammunition entry for it. There was neither 3D artwork for the missile launcher, nor a crew position, and now we have both. The only thing that makes it "not new" is that old scenarios where missile teams were given the Bill as their ammunition will work straight out of the box without the need for modification.

• Members
So we have 9, potentially even 11 Leopards to chose from. Compare that to the 3 Abrams variants (M1, M1A1 HA, M1A2 SEP) and single Challenger 2 (uparmored) variant. The Leopard line is indeed a little bit saturated compared to the other MBTs. :)

Well, it's a reflection of the fact that

1. Many of our military customers are Leopard user countries.
    Neither the French nor the British nor the US Army ever gave us a single dime for adding one of their vehicles (well, not quite true for the US Army, but still).
  2. The Wegmann fire control system is pretty much identical (with slight variations) across the whole fleet from Leopard 1A5 up.
    That makes it very easy/cost efficient for us to add a new variant. It's primarily an issue of developing the artwork and integrating it. Adding a totally different vehicle from the ground up, with hardly any support of an army as a customer, is much harder and slower going. We're doing it nevertheless, but we have to keep an eye on the economy of our work. Adding a reasonable quality Challenger "demo" is a gamble to change the mind of the British Army that they will finally recognize the value of our work. It's a similar thing with the T-72. We're demonstrating our technical competence with these vehicles, in the hope that it will attract the customers with whom we'd like to do some serious business.

Would we follow a private invitation to France to inspect a Leclerc?

Absolutely.

Do I know whom to call and ask for permission to visit a base and take all the necessary photo and video documentation, and even if I did, could I do all that in French?

Absolutely not.

So, if you are a French Steel Beasts player with the necessary connections to arrange a visit, please do so and contact me. I'll be happy to book flight tickets for me an an artist and/or a programmer to come along. :)

there are a lot Leopards:

Leopard 1A5 DK

Leopard 1AS

Leopard 2A4

Leopard 2A5 DK

Strv 122

Leopard 2E

Leopard 1A5 GE

Leopard 1V

Leopard 1A2

(Leopard 2A5 GE + Leopard 2A6 GE ???) :shocked:

I am a big Leo fan. But agree with you

So, if you are a French Steel Beasts player with the necessary connections to arrange a visit, please do so and contact me. I'll be happy to book flight tickets for me an an artist and/or a programmer to come along. :)

I know its not French, but if I ever come into the ownership of a Chieftain Tank, you'll be the first person I call Ssnake. :biggrin:

Well, it's a reflection of the fact that
  1. Many of our military customers are Leopard user countries.
    Neither the French nor the British nor the US Army ever gave us a single dime for adding one of their vehicles (well, not quite true for the US Army, but still).
  2. The Wegmann fire control system is pretty much identical (with slight variations) across the whole fleet from Leopard 1A5 up.
    That makes it very easy/cost efficient for us to add a new variant. It's primarily an issue of developing the artwork and integrating it. Adding a totally different vehicle from the ground up, with hardly any support of an army as a customer, is much harder and slower going. We're doing it nevertheless, but we have to keep an eye on the economy of our work. Adding a reasonable quality Challenger "demo" is a gamble to change the mind of the British Army that they will finally recognize the value of our work. It's a similar thing with the T-72. We're demonstrating our technical competence with these vehicles, in the hope that it will attract the customers with whom we'd like to do some serious business.

Would we follow a private invitation to France to inspect a Leclerc?

Absolutely.

Do I know whom to call and ask for permission to visit a base and take all the necessary photo and video documentation, and even if I did, could I do all that in French?

Absolutely not.

They are open doors at the 12ème régiment de Cuirassiers, Olivet, France, in June, the 22nd and 23rd, one of my former regiments.

I will contact the colonel (wich was my squadron commander in 2000-02) during those days, in order to make a small SB LAN for Tank squadrons and platoon leaders after 3.0 release, and to promote the 507 RCC (VU).

Edited by Froggy