Leopard 2E hotfix (for v3.011 and v3.019b)

Volcano

• Moderators

Hello everyone,

Until the next beta and/or update, an updated Leopard 2E .MRF file hotfix will be made available here (future betas and updates will incorporate this hotfix). This "fix" is a beta, and it corrects a couple of bugs with the Leo 2E:

-Fixes the bug where maingun damage would happen from shooting the loader's machine gun.

-Fixes the "white tracks" issue when tank is seen at medium range.

-------------

To apply this fix, just download the attached .zip file here, then extract its contents to your game folder. It should prompt to overwrite if you put it in the correct place (unless you disabled this prompting in your .zip extractor, of course).

Please post here if there are any problems specifically relating to the issues mentioned above.

Leo2E_MRF_update_v2_zip.b8a5a75f4d014e87

Leo2E_MRF_update_v2.zip

Edited by Volcano

• Moderators

OK, yes, apologies about that. Complicated stuff. I guess I didn't quite shoot the LMG perfectly when I tested it before. Anyway, both issues really should be fixed now.

If any of you downloaded and applied the fix before, then please get it again (the .zip file is now named as "v2").

Legend has it, that Volcano was attacked by a bug of some sort as a small child. It was a profound moment in his development, and forever altered him.

Since that point, thousands of bugs have fallen by his sword.

I use a daily issue of wine for any bugs I may catch on my person, up to now it has worked....burp :)

I hesitate to ask this but will risk approbrium and humiliation and do so anyway...

Does the appearance of this hotfix/patch mean that other known bugs - some far more serious than this one IMHO - willl be fixed in the same way? I.e, before the next update.

I hesitate to ask this but will risk approbrium and humiliation and do so anyway...

Does the appearance of this hotfix/patch mean that other known bugs - some far more serious than this one IMHO - willl be fixed in the same way? I.e, before the next update.

I suspect that's a function of the issue and how hard it is to fix.

Here is was identified that something had been omitted and it was an easy thing to address.

Something else like say "the Infantry modelling is $#@#$!%@#^%@" would require a whole bunch of effort to look into.

Then you need to work out the impacts of the fix. Here it seems to have been a pretty self contained thing that could be fixed in isolation. Something else might have impacts across the software (no idea if this is right but "fixing" Infantry pathing in built up areas might mess with Helicopters say) so it needs to be considered as part of the whole.

Then you then need to think of the impacts on the players.

There is already a bit of a divide between those with 3.011 and those with 3.019.

This hotfix doesn't matter if you don't have Leo 2Es in your scenario. If you do and you are playing MP then the server at least needs it.

Imagine the confusion if suddenly we needed 3.091 plus Hotfix1 + Hotfix2 + Hotfix3 and someone turns up with 3.019 and only Hotfixes 1 and 3.

You could spend half a MP session trying to confirm that everyone had all the hotfixes before hitting "start". :)

Lastly, it would result in a pretty fragmented production plan for eSim with hotfixes coming out in dribs and drabs and probably building expectations that things will be fixed very rapidly with a constant stream of these hotfixes.

I think their preferred model is to aggregate the hotfixes into the current system of periodic patches where they know Hotfix 1 and Hotfix 2 work together and if the person downloads patch X they get both.

Just a set of external observations though (no insider information at all) except for "living the dream" with TGIF sessions where people turned up without the Beta or the wrong version of it, etc.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators
I think such hotfix is due to the nature of the bug.

There is no coding involved just a model to be tweaked/ a file to be modified.

Correct. The only case that something else will be fixed before an update is if there is another similar bug pertaining to a vehicle. And even in this case we would have waited, but we treat armor model bugs as top priority.

There is already a bit of a divide between those with 3.011 and those with 3.019.

Imagine the confusion if suddenly we needed 3.091 plus Hotfix1 + Hotfix2 + Hotfix3 and someone turns up with 3.019 and only Hotfixes 1 and 3.

You could spend half a MP session trying to confirm that everyone had all the hotfixes before hitting "start". :)

Not really IMHO. You would just send them off to get the hotfixes/patches required to bring them up to the latest version, and ask them to come back when they;d done that. IIRC, that's how IL2 worked. When a patch came out the word went round like wildfire and everyone updated asap. At worst, someone might turn up for a session needing the two latest patches, but as these were quick to download and self-installing, it took only about 5min for everyone to be 'singing from the same hymn sheet'.

Not really IMHO. You would just send them off to get the hotfixes/patches required to bring them up to the latest version, and ask them to come back when they;d done that. IIRC, that's how IL2 worked. When a patch came out the word went round like wildfire and everyone updated asap. At worst, someone might turn up for a session needing the two latest patches, but as these were quick to download and self-installing, it took only about 5min for everyone to be 'singing from the same hymn sheet'.

Well for what three TGIFs in a row we had 30min+ (out of an activity that is "meant" to go for 120-180mins) delays as people sorted out who had what versions, whether they could download it and apply it in time, etc.

Hence why I said:

Just a set of external observations though (no insider information at all) except for "living the dream" with TGIF sessions where people turned up without the Beta or the wrong version of it, etc.

• Moderators
All the bugs currently affecting the movement of infantry and IFVs?

You cannot fix that with an MRF (resource) file change. So no, the EXE is only changed in Beta releases, or official updates and upgrades of course (a "hotfix" of the EXE would break more than it would fix, while MRF files are isolated, focused fixes, with low risk).

Well for what three TGIFs in a row we had 30min+ (out of an activity that is "meant" to go for 120-180mins) delays as people sorted out who had what versions, whether they could download it and apply it in time, etc.

I don't understand this. TGIF is a multiplayer event officially sanctioned by eSim Games. Surely it MUST be played using the latest official version of the game: 3.011? Are you saying that someone who has just bought SB Pro PE with the totally reasonable expectation of playing TGIF cannot do so because it is being played using a beta version for which he cannot obtain a licence?

We certainly don't have this problem in DoW. We run our MP sessions using 3.019 UNLESS someone doesn't have it - or has the software but not a licence. I which case we go with 3.011. The decision makinng process takes about 30 sec.

I am genuinely confused. :confused:

...a "hotfix" of the EXE would break more than it would fix, while MRF files are isolated, focused fixes, with low risk).

Well I don't know why. Other games developers regularly update their .exe files successfully with patches.

Regarding the Mech Infantry, surely the existing 'broken' nature of this aspect of the sim must be hurting eSim's sales of SB Pro to potential military customers? Or have the problems been fixed in Pro but not in Pro PE? If that is the case - and introducing these fixes in Pro PE is some sort of problem - would it not be better to say so - and if possible explain why? People might be disappointed, but most would be understanding IMHO. What they can't understand - the people I've spoken to, at least - is why eSim appear not to be addressing this apparently important problem with any urgency.

'Yeah, we know it's broke, but we aren't going to fix it 'til next year' is, with all due respect, not great customer service.

I don't understand this. TGIF is a multiplayer event officially sanctioned by eSim Games. Surely it MUST be played using the latest official version of the game: 3.011? Are you saying that someone who has just bought SB Pro PE with the totally reasonable expectation of playing TGIF cannot do so because it is being played using a beta version for which he cannot obtain a licence?

We certainly don't have this problem in DoW. We run our MP sessions using 3.019 UNLESS someone doesn't have it - or has the software but not a licence. I which case we go with 3.011. The decision makinng process takes about 30 sec.

I am genuinely confused. :confused:

No I'm not saying that at all.

What I am saying is that when 3.011 first came out (not a Beta, no issue with limited licenses) and when 3.017/ 3.019 first came out (i.e. still advertised here, licenses still readily available) there were a host of long time SB players who either don't know / didn't look and so turned up with 3.002 and then there was a disruption while people went to get the still readily available software.

I am not talking about "now" when the number of licences available have expired/been reduced.

This was a counter argument to your comment of:

Because:

1. The word obviously didn't go "round like wildfire and everyone updated asap" and

2. It most certainly didn't take "only about 5min for everyone to be 'singing from the same hymn sheet'"

Now perhaps the IL2 community is different (no idea) but this is the way things have happened here for the last three major updates / public betas.

Well I don't know why. Other games developers regularly update their .exe files successfully with patches.

This is where some knowledge of programming comes in handy. Some aspects of a program may behave in a more isolated way than others. On the other hand, some aspects may be fundamental to the way the program works.

Think of it this way: If you want to change the tread pattern of the tires on your car, you just pull the old ones off and put the new ones on and you're done. Now, if you want to change the size of the tires on your car, you may have to adjust the ride height, suspension, wheel well size, recalibrate the speedometer/odometer, etc...

• Administrators

Regarding the Mech Infantry, surely the existing 'broken' nature of this aspect of the sim must be hurting eSim's sales of SB Pro to potential military customers? Or have the problems been fixed in Pro but not in Pro PE? If that is the case - and introducing these fixes in Pro PE is some sort of problem - would it not be better to say so - and if possible explain why? People might be disappointed, but most would be understanding IMHO. What they can't understand - the people I've spoken to, at least - is why eSim appear not to be addressing this apparently important problem with any urgency.

'Yeah, we know it's broke, but we aren't going to fix it 'til next year' is, with all due respect, not great customer service.

EXE patches require merging branches of code and the full QA process, including internal beta testing. This fix, on the other hand, required changing one resource file where the amount changed is isolated to two parts on one vehicles armor. This fix was produced by Volcano in his spare time. Does that help explain the difference?

Which bug is the show stopper for you?