Version 3.025 need help with install

Wicked

Hello all,

Some info first:

I had version 3.023 installed. Completely uninstalled that version , incl codemeters.

I downloaded 3.025 from Steelbeasts.com.

I want to install my 3.025 on my D: harddrive. So I choose that drive for the install. Plenty room there.

Om my C: drive I have like 5Gig space left.

The installer is unpacking to my D: drive first for the install and the usual files to my C: drive after that. In the end of the install it stops unpacking some file and tells me I dont have enough space left?

My question is, has something changed filesize speaking? Because I had a succesfull install with 3.023. Size should be pretty much the same with 3.025, not?

Or do I need to download again from different location, eSIM or so? Some file corrupted?

Any help appreciated. Thank you all

Regards

Wicked.

3.025 is a little different, the SBProPE3_025.part1.exe file self-extracts to the windows temp folder (which is on the C: drive by default) and automatically runs the installer, which asks for the final destination to install SB, it's not a two-step process like in older versions where it first asked for where to extract the installer and data files, which you then had to run to install SB.

Well you can always install it onto D:\ and once that is complete move the folder to wherever you want it to be on C:\.

You'd need to edit the path files in the shortcuts/Start menu items though so it was looking in the right place.

The key requirement is that you initially have enough space on C:\ for the common files (maps, bundled scenarios, etc.) that go into:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts

And the decompressed files in the temp directory.

Alternatively is there a suitably sized chunk of data that you can temporarily move from C:\ to D:\, do the install and then move back?

Thank you too Gibson. And ignore my lil tears above :)

I figured out I could right-click the extraction and point them to my E: Drive (wich is my download drive). From there I could run the install without problems. It could be I have done this also with v 3.023 but I really cant remember.

Things work ok now. Thank you again and regards from a happy tanker :)

Thank you too Gibson. And ignore my lil tears above :)

I figured out I could right-click the extraction and point them to my E: Drive (wich is my download drive). From there I could run the install without problems. It could be I have done this also with v 3.023 but I really cant remember.

Things work ok now. Thank you again and regards from a happy tanker :)

Thanks for this reminder. I'm also sitting with critical space shortages on my C drive, and this will help.

*cough* Drives are cheap yes, but *cough* SSD drives which are smaller are often used as the boot drive, the fact that SB installs 2 GB to C which you don't have a say in doesn't help *cough*.

Being able to dodge the space required by the installer alone helps of course, thanks again.

• Members
*cough* Drives are cheap yes, but *cough* SSD drives which are smaller are often used as the boot drive, the fact that SB installs 2 GB to C which you don't have a say in doesn't help *cough*.

The way I understand it, this is a consequence of the way how Microsoft designed Windows for a multi-user environment. They never came up with a practical way to redirect certain system variables to user-defined directories. I will freely admit that it was MY design decision that we wouldn't install just about everything into C:\SBPro as was still the norm in 1998 for many game developers but that we would actually adhere to the rules by the operating system manufacturer.

That said, maybe there are ways how we can get the map files installed into a different directory per command line option or something in future Steel Beasts versions. If the OS manufacturer doesn't provide proper tools...

Thanks for this reminder. I'm also sitting with critical space shortages on my C drive, and this will help.

Being able to dodge the space required by the installer alone helps of course, thanks again.

If it's any consolation, those files are erased from the C: after the installation is complete.