v2.640 Bugs

Scrapper_511

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, well, suppress only works with area fire weapons such as small arms and high explosive rounds (ie. autocannon HE), not KE, HEAT or ATGMs. ;)

Huh? Okay, I've been fiddling with the supress command for a bit, and noticed when I've ordered the M1A1 to suppress a distant (greater than 1500m?) target, the AI gunner fires up all of the "ready" HEAT rounds, then switches to Sabot.

• Moderators
Huh? Okay, I've been fiddling with the supress command for a bit, and noticed when I've ordered the M1A1 to suppress a distant (greater than 1500m?) target, the AI gunner fires up all of the "ready" HEAT rounds, then switches to Sabot.

I meant normally. If you are using the suppress command on an area that is beyond what would be the practical limit for small arms (2000m or so) then it will use whatever it has available to it.

Edited by Volcano
typo

Here's another one.

Scenario:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19518131/EA.sce

AAR:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19518131/EA_032412EMMA-VAIO2053.aar

12:12:50 M1 hit by "frag".

12:12:12 M1 hit from the rear by T-55 to its front????

Screenshots attached.

Screenshot1.jpg.943d9d627bee0b5297623ebe

Screenshot2.jpg.fd0121b4e5b356a224e8a6c1

Screenshot1.jpg.943d9d627bee0b5297623ebe

Screenshot2.jpg.fd0121b4e5b356a224e8a6c1

• Members

Both could happen, depending on what "really" happened which I can't see from these two screenshots. In case one, if a fragment hit the antenna, that would result in a "lost comm" type damage. In the second case, if the HE round exploded on some obstacle close to, but behind the M1, a fragment could still fly "backwards" (they fly faster than the impact velocity of HEF rounds is).

Strange shots fired by Red LAV over very long distance through woods to Blue troops - see screenshots.

As if the woods were invisible ?

NB I had plenty of examples of the same behaviour in this scenario (Dasv2 - Holding Action).

What could this be ?

SS_11_39_57.jpg.85046257458acba53d65d674

SS_11_40_18.jpg.eb427112b273f04d1ea2eaaa

SS_11_40_40.jpg.d6e11398b2a6efa85220d8b3

SS_11_41_34.jpg.4527b7042e33817a8bc76da6

SS_11_41_39.jpg.36c87dec3d03cf24025da6d2

SS_11_41_49.jpg.3e518747ca47b387676cb9fc

SS_11_39_57.jpg.85046257458acba53d65d674

SS_11_40_18.jpg.eb427112b273f04d1ea2eaaa

SS_11_40_40.jpg.d6e11398b2a6efa85220d8b3

SS_11_41_34.jpg.4527b7042e33817a8bc76da6

SS_11_41_39.jpg.36c87dec3d03cf24025da6d2

SS_11_41_49.jpg.3e518747ca47b387676cb9fc

• Members

Computer-controlled units may shoot through forests, provided that they have line of sight. I'm not totally happy with it, but it's a simplification that usually delivers acceptable results.

We have a few ideas how we could deal with it, but as usual coding time comes at a premium so we need to address the really urgent issues first.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this been covered (again) already.

Bug No. 2138 was listed as squashed in the release notes. (Relates to 3D infantry floating above rubble of destroyed buildings.)

But I noticed this while viewing the 3D world view of an AAR of a recently-played mission. Maybe it's an AAR-only issue?

SS_15_11_50.jpg.e9cfb7ddae348d97542d424a

SS_15_11_50.jpg.e9cfb7ddae348d97542d424a

Roadwheel confusion:

Am doing some stuff with Zipuli regarding the CV 9030 Fin in 2.654 and just noticed something weird (unsure if other vehicles do it too):

When the CV 9030 reverses the track, idler and drive sprocket rotate the "right" way but the roadwheels themselves rotate as if going forward?!

Do you need a Fraps video or something?

• Moderators
Sorry if this been covered (again) already.

Bug No. 2138 was listed as squashed in the release notes. (Relates to 3D infantry floating above rubble of destroyed buildings.)

But I noticed this while viewing the 3D world view of an AAR of a recently-played mission. Maybe it's an AAR-only issue?

Correct, that is a known AAR issue. The original bug was related to in game - they would float as dead bodies above the ground. The infantry in the AAR need a great deal of work as their status is not always displayed (there are some other issues with them currently there, like in many cases seeing on the weapon position of a heavy weapon team moving along and the dead infantry are in the final resting place).

When the CV 9030 reverses the track, idler and drive sprocket rotate the "right" way but the roadwheels themselves rotate as if going forward?!

Might it be a case like the one described here?

Here is the relevant text edited down:

Dan - I'm just wondering why car wheels sometimes appear to be going backwards when you view them under streetlights sometimes?

Chris - I think I've seen it. As you're driving along, the car next to you is accelerating away and it looks like their wheels are going backwards in the streetlights, illuminating the wheels of the car. [...] It’s actually a stroboscopic effect. [...] the streetlight flashing on and off about 120 times a second because mains electricity is 60 hertz. So the light goes on and off 60 times a second. So as a result, you're seeing 60 flashes or illuminations of the car wheel per second.

Now if the car is accelerating, if you imagine you drew a line on the car wheel, a chalk mark and you watched that go around, it would go around in a circle. But you only see it in the dark when it’s illuminated by the street light. Now say, the street light flashes on, you see the chalk mark pointing straight upwards, the light goes off and the wheel turns around a bit [...] Light comes back on, the chalk mark is now in the new position [...] Now as the car wheel speeds up the distance of the chalk mark makes it around the wheel will change according to how fast the car is going [...]

There will therefore be a speed at which the wheel will go when it doesn’t look like it’s moving at all because the chalk mark is starting going all the way around and finishing before the light comes back on again. [...] Once it speeds up a bit more, the chalk mark will go right the way around and then a bit further. So it will look like that it was going faster, faster and faster. Eventually, you’ll get to a speed where it’s actually going right around and back on itself again. So it looks like it’s actually going backwards a bit because it’s doing more than one complete revolution a bit more.

...But of course it would be your screen refreshing instead of a "flashing" light? Or was it at different (reverse) speeds?

• Moderators
Roadwheel confusion:

Am doing some stuff with Zipuli regarding the CV 9030 Fin in 2.654 and just noticed something weird (unsure if other vehicles do it too):

Do you need a Fraps video or something?

Strange, I just tried this with both CV9030-FI and CV9035-DK and both have tracks, roadwheels and srockets rotating correctly in reverse, forward and also turning. Are you sure it is not an optical illusion? Maybe you should make a fraps video actually. :shocked:

• Members

It's the old stroboscopic effect indeed, that makes spoke wheels appear rotating backwards (e.g. in old Laurel & Hardy movies) as well. As long as scenes are rendered frame by frame, there's no way to get around it. You could just increase the frame rate (theoretically) up to a point where it could no longer be noticed. But that's not doable with current technology while maintaining the same scene level of detail.

Here's one I just noticed this week while fabbing up an Aussie M1 for a scenario. The bug might very well have been there since the model was upgraded.

The decal on the starboard side of the turret (not sure what that box is -- something to do with NBC?) flickers. Quite badly.

I don't have video capture software, but hopefully the series of screenshots below will do.

As a side note -- something for the_List, perhaps: It would be really swell if we could get that decal spot reversed for one side or the other. You'll notice the 'roo is arse-forward in the screenie ... that's because it's correctly face-forward on the port side. The same decal is used in both places. Same issue is present on the Leo AS1, I believe -- or maybe the ASLAV. But in that case the decal is reversed so the roo isn't mooning the enemy. (Unfortunately "ARMY" is backwards in that case ... but I digress.)

Or -- if there's any space left on abrams_decals.dds, maybe separate right and left images could be mapped?

Anyway, I just went ahead and painted them onto the skin .dds. It would be nice to take advantage of the functionality of the decals, though, since it's obviously there for a reason.

SS_12_12_39.jpg.4fdf0d8939ca4644da4a84d4

SS_12_12_48.jpg.9c3726b80ba257d121401a9a

SS_12_12_55.jpg.be44ea13d1d05b901164d08f

SS_12_13_35.jpg.cb2841b70fa1843f7f62a09b

SS_12_13_44.jpg.aec63fb0872bfeb4dd619bb9

SS_12_12_39.jpg.4fdf0d8939ca4644da4a84d4

SS_12_12_48.jpg.9c3726b80ba257d121401a9a

SS_12_12_55.jpg.be44ea13d1d05b901164d08f

SS_12_13_35.jpg.cb2841b70fa1843f7f62a09b

SS_12_13_44.jpg.aec63fb0872bfeb4dd619bb9

It's the old stroboscopic effect indeed, that makes spoke wheels appear rotating backwards (e.g. in old Laurel & Hardy movies) as well. As long as scenes are rendered frame by frame, there's no way to get around it. You could just increase the frame rate (theoretically) up to a point where it could no longer be noticed. But that's not doable with current technology while maintaining the same scene level of detail.

Well here we are:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19518131/SBProPEcm%202012-04-13%2010-54-16-39.avi

The roadwheels and axle of the drive sprocket appear to be going forward but the perhaps it is the strobe effect of the drive sprocket teeth suggesting it should be reversing?

Sorry wasn't in control of the vehicle so don't know what commands it was executing but it was under fire so I'm working on the basis that it was reversing (albeit it not moving courtesy of the Finnish bog).

Can post the AAR too.

• Moderators
Well here we are:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19518131/SBProPEcm%202012-04-13%2010-54-16-39.avi

The roadwheels and axle of the drive sprocket appear to be going forward but the perhaps it is the strobe effect of the drive sprocket teeth suggesting it should be reversing?

Sorry wasn't in control of the vehicle so don't know what commands it was executing but it was under fire so I'm working on the basis that it was reversing (albeit it not moving courtesy of the Finnish bog).

Can post the AAR too.

Hmm well, I don't know what to say. The video doesn't play for me -- only the sound plays, I guess I have an out of date codec. Still, I tried the vehicle nine ways to Sunday and I don't see the tracks, wheels or sprocket moving in the wrong direction no matter what I do. No an AAR wouldn't help much.

Are you sure someone wasn't pivot steering in the bog? This would result in one side of the vehicle's wheels moving forward and the other side backwards and might seem like the vehicle is moving backwards overall (sliding) depending on the traction. I can't think of what else it would be.

• Members
Here's one I just noticed this week while fabbing up an Aussie M1 for a scenario. The bug might very well have been there since the model was upgraded.

The decal on the starboard side of the turret (not sure what that box is -- something to do with NBC?) flickers. Quite badly.

Clearly a Z-buffer issue. The decal is on a plane in front of the actual box, and at a range where the depth sort will either calculate it to be in front of the box (where it belongs to), or actually behind the box surface (due to rounding errors). Since this calculation is done for every frame and the rounding will cause alternations of either result, what you get to see is a flicker. If you get closer, it will get away. If you go farther away, the effect will disappear. It's just that at this specific range the rounding effect is apparently very obvious.

Nothing can be done about the Z buffer itself. As long as graphics cards do not allow more than 32 bit, there's only so much that this resolution supports. We must have accuracy in depth sort from centimeters in the near-field up to the multi-kilometer range.

The decal on the port side is rock-solid.

The decal on the starboard side (shown above) flickers no matter what distance or angle you view it from.

Good to hear it might be possible to move it enough to fix the flicker. Would it also be possible to flip its orientation at the same time?

I know it seems like a trivial thing.