Aust CO-OP Campaign - Orders Mission #1

Gibsonm

SQN Orders

TOPOGRAPHY

The TAOR, “Salt Ash”, is depicted on the trace.

The ground is generally flat with some hills and varies from open pasture in the South to wooded areas in the North.

The HUNTER RIVER forms a major obstacle and can only be crossed at the bridges. The HUNTER RIVER forms the landward boundary to the TAOR.

Key Terrain: The bridges across the HUNTER RIVER. The wooded areas around the RAAF base.

Decisive Terrain: The settlement of STOCKTON and RAAF WILLIAMTOWN.

The roads vary from the Pacific Highway (an all weather dual carriageway which is a vital link in the National Highway system) to more minor but still all weather roads to down to dirt tracks near the sand dunes of STOCKTON BEACH.

Known obstacles: It is been reported that the Bridge North of RAYMOND TERRACE, (GS 8375) has been blocked by numerous vehicle wrecks.

SITUATION

Further to the General Brief issued by the S2 earlier, the following update is available.

Enemy:

The Enemy is assessed as a reinforced Airmobile Infantry Coy. Strategic assets report the presence of BMDs supported by some helo assets (atk and tpt) as well as air defence assets.

No MBTs have been sighted in the TAOR.

Apart from rotary wing, it is assessed that due to the current air parity situation, he can insert fixed wing assets for short loiter strikes on High Value Targets (HVT).

It is believed that most of the forces that arrived in theatre via RAAF WILLIAMTOWN have since deployed further afield and the remainder are the local security assets and possibly his regional quick response force (QRF) as this location provides a firm base for large rotary wing assets (CH-47 have been sighted in location).

Most Likely Course of action (MLCOA): is assessed as imposing delay and withdrawing under pressure in order to (IOT) gain time for rotary wing assets to exfil and to damage the airbase as much as possible.

This would cause the Government of Australia (GOAS) to be embarrassed by its perceived inability to defend its own territory.

Most Dangerous Course of Action (MDCOA): is assessed as accepting decisive engagement. This would allow time for the forces in STOCKTON to damage the harbour entrance, as well as damage the coal loading infrastructure and the airbase.

This would create more embarrassment than the MLCOA and if implemented in NEWCASTLE as well would cause massive civilian casualties and inflict large scale economic damage on the region.

Friendly:

Higher Commander’s Intent

Two Up: The Brigade Commander has been directed by the PM and CDF to clear the NEWCASTLE region IOT re-establish Australian sovereignty and set the conditions for GOAS to seek reparations from the invading power.

GOAS has declared a ten nautical mile exclusion zone around the mouth of the HUNTER RIVER. The Maritime and Air component commanders (MCC and ACC) have been tasked to DESTROY vessels that cross that line to ensure that there is no attempt (possibly as part of the MDCOA) to block the channel with a sunken merchant ship, along the lines of the MV Pasha Bulker incident of 2007. ACC and MCC have deployed assets with HARPOON missile system to effect this policy. All ship’s Captains have been advised by radio that this will be a “no warn” policy if a vessel crosses the boundary line.

One Up: Commanding Officer’s (CO’s) intent is to fix the en in the West while supporting the main effort (ME) in NEWCASTLE. Once NEWCASTLE is cleared ME will shift to PORT HEDLAND.

There is a very short chain of command here. The Bde Comd and all unit COs were recently briefed in person by the CDF with the PM in the room.

CO’s Mission: 2nd Cavalry Regiment is to conduct economy of force shield operations in the West IOT allow the concentration of force elements (FE) to enable strike operations in the East.

A Sqn, in NEWCASTLE is ME.

Civilians:

Our TAOR is lightly populated with the exception of RAYMOND TERRACE and STOCKTON. Cbt in these locations is to be avoided but if necessary minimal force to be used.

Attachments and Detachments:

Attached:

1 x Flight of ARH, TACCON for the duration of this activity.

1 x UAV, TACCON for the duration of this activity.

1 x MRH90 for AME tasking.

1 x M88, TACCON for recovery only.

3 TPs of two guns each from 8/12 Medium Regiment, RAA in Direct Support.

MISSION

A Sqn 2nd Cavalry Regiment, is to clear TAOR SALT ASH from not before 0430, IOT secure the Northern approach to NEWCASTLE harbour, reopen the Pacific Hwy and set the conditions for a possible Sqn strength attack on RAAF WILLIAMTOWN (HORNET sector).

EXECUTION

Purpose: We are here to clear the Northern bank of the HUNTER RIVER and be prepared to (BPT) recapture RAAF WILLIAMTOWN.

Method: To achieve this I have divided the TAOR into four TP sectors. Each TP will clear within sector and for some there are secure tasks as well.

Endstate: The endstate will be the North bank cleared the Pacific Hwy re-opened and potentially RAAF WILLIAMTOWN recaptured. This will support BG TIGER’s efforts on the South bank and with the harbour and airfield back in our hands, the enemy will be cut off from his lines of communication.

Concept of Operations

Scheme of manoeuvre: Three TPs will clear the sectors around RAAF WILLIAMTOWN, the fourth will secure STOCKTON and form the Sqn Reserve for the atk on the Airfield. The clearance operations will be supported by ARH and UAV overflights with the ARH switching to an airborne SBF role once the atk on the Airfield is commenced.

Main Effort:

Initial Phase: Secure STOCKTON.

Secondary Phase (on Order): Clear RAAF WILLIAMTOWN

Groupings / Missions and Tasks:

SHQ TP

Grouping: No Change

Mission: Provide C2 IOT achieve the Sqn Mission

Tasks:

- Command the Squadron

- Be prepared to host visits from both PM and CDF who will personally observe the operation from SHQ at some stage after H hour.

- Ensure SITREPs are sent to me, the CO and BDE Comd so we know what the CDF and PM know.

1 TP

Mission: Clear NORTH Sector of TAOR SALT ASH IOT achieve the Sqn Mission

Tasks:

- Clear NORTH Sector

- Clear RAYMOND TERRANCE

- Check trafficability of PACIFIC HWY (MSR) in Sector North of RUBBER BALLOON

- Link up with 2 TP

- Clear all bridges and roads in Sector

- BPT participate in Sqn level RAID on RAAF WILLIAMTOWN on order

Purpose: Deny THREAT withdrawal routes North, Reopen PACIFIC HWY to AS Forces.

2 TP

Mission: Clear CENTRE Sector of TAOR SALT ASH IOT achieve the Sqn Mission

Tasks:

- Clear CENTRE Sector

- Check trafficability of PACIFIC HWY (MSR) in Sector CENTRE to RUBBER BALLOON

- Link up with 1 TP

Purpose: Reopen PACIFIC HWY.

3 TP

Mission: Secure STOCKTON IOT achieve the Regt Mission

Tasks:

- Secure STOCKTON

- Clear rail lines and coal loader infrastructure in Sector

- Link up with 4 TP

- Provide firm base for 4 TP to launch into EAST Sector

- Once 4 TP is established in EAST Sector, SOUTH Sector

- BPT act as Sqn Reserve in RAID on RAAF WILLIAMTOWN on order

Purpose: Secure STOCKTON and set the conditions for NEWCASTLE port to re-commence coal exports.

4 TP

Mission: Secure STOCKTON IOT achieve the Regt Mission

Tasks:

- Clear EAST Sector

- Link up with 3 TP

- BPT spt 3 TP in STOCKTON

Purpose: Close the trap on RAAF WILLIAMTOWN.

5 TP (Admin)

Grouping: M88 added TACCON for recovery purposes only.

Mission: Provide logistic support IOT achieve the Sqn Mission

Tasks:

- Provide medical and recovery assets on order.

- Co-ord AME assets.

- BPT conduct linear replenishment on order

Purpose: Maintain the Sqn’s cbt power.

Coordinating Instructions

Timings:

H Hr not before 0430

TP Sectors cleared NLT 0600

Atk, on order but not before 0600

Boundaries:

As per Trace

Routes:

As per Trace

- 4 TP to cross STOCKTON BRIDGE before 3 TP (GS 8660).

ROE:

Lethal force authorised, collateral damage to be minimised

Fire planning

JOST to co-ordinate air and arty fires as well as aerial recce assets.

ARH to conduct recce in clearance phase, BPT conduct atk operations in subsequent phases. Transition on order.

JOST to develop suitable tgt list for distribution pre H Hr. Use of DPICM has been authorised for non populated areas to minimise the EOD risk.

ADMIN AND LOGISITICS

Supply - Water & Rations / Fuel / Ammo /next replen

All call signs to carry first line.

Next Replen at H+24 unless OPDEM received earlier.

Casevac

By ground initially (either TP means or Admin TP) then via AME for Pri 1 and 2.

COMMAND AND SIGNALS

Command – Myself, Sqn 2IC, Sqn Tech Offr, 1 TP, 2 TP, 3 TP.

Questions in 3 minutes.

ADF_1.jpg

Edited by Gibsonm

5 TP (Admin)

Grouping: M88 added TACCON for recovery purposes only.

Mission: Provide logistic support IOT achieve the Sqn Mission

Tasks:

- Provide medical and recovery assets on order.

- Co-ord AME assets.

- BPT conduct linear replenishment on order

Purpose: Maintain the Sqn’s cbt power.

5 Troop understod and ready to move out!

(but wheres the bloody scenario?)

JOST Planning.........Please Stand By.

Planninng Complete.

Okay the initial fire plan based on intel recieved so far:

I have marked with splodges (Yes its a technical term, look it up) priority Ref/Fire points.

To be uploaded to everyone's map/generic planning device.

(These will in all likelyhood probably maybe will change)

Red is DPICM & HE

Off-Blue is HE only

Purple is a High Priority DPICM area.

The Blue lines indicate the initial approach path and SBF points of the ARHs

The Drone will fly NOE along the roads as needed as REDFOR has ADA assets.

JOST, Out.

56e83c9fdfedc_ADF_1copy.jpg.216695f4ffa7

56e83c9fdfedc_ADF_1copy.jpg.216695f4ffa7

[islamic] Indonesia invaded in Australia??! Need to get rid of them. Music: Prodigy-Invaders Must Die.

Good map.

No I never said that and indeed I’ve never mentioned a specific country.

In any event, its unlikely that the TNI would have the cbt power to sustain this level of force projection on one axis, let alone two.

Re the map: I’ll let Mother Nature know you approve. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

5 Troop understod and ready to move out!

(but wheres the bloody scenario?)

Still being “tweaked” :)

Oh I could say I was holding it ransom awaiting that DPCU M88 which seems to still be in “draft” mode (or did I miss the final version)?

Edited by Gibsonm

Oh I could say I was holding it ransom awaiting that DPCU M88 which seems to still be in “draft” mode (or did I miss the final version)?

It has to be verified, any changes made, verified again run through an SCB, approved for released.....etc. :)

Hopefully not much longer. :)

Found that Red AI didn’t seem to want to fire at anything (not sure why).

However currently testing the 3 machine option at this end (Server, Blue and Red) and seeing if I can make Red a bit more realistic by intervening from time to time.

Still not sure why a Red Inf squad only lets me fire small arms at a vehicle target (though I could cycle through weapon types just like ammunition natures in a vehicle)?

Looks like all I can do is plink away with 5.56 while the RPG Xs never seem to be used (the target is in range, static and I can observe it but still nothing)?

well, NOW I have updated my download with the Aussie version :)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/309/p13_fileid/1939

or just use the one I added as a attachment. :)

M88_rar.f88c80dff0fe52bffe5ad094edae20d5

M88.rar

The "fifteen" tale

In the ADF the QM has the call sign 15, but due to C/S issues (turns out Gibsonm, ADF C/S and SB C/S don't match up ) my name was "admin".

when the scenario started I was position in a standby location but soon started to move south to an area south of the bridge where I could move in any direction, however Tacbat in front of me encountered contacts so I had to stop west of river until he advanced forward.

Once Tacbat had secured the ground I moved up with "15" (my ASLAV-25) and 1B (my ASLAV-A) to secure two wounded crew members from Hedgehogs ARH that got shot down within minutes of game-start, starting to medevac the crews at 04:55

15_1.jpg

ASLAV-A recovering wounded pilots with 15 covering, still dark outside

Once the pilots was secured they got put in the back of the ASLAV-A and 1B with 15 moved back south of the bridge to rendezvous with 10B witch is the MRH90 AME (Air Medical Evacuation) capacity at 05:01

15_2.jpg

As the dark slowly leaves the ambulances is meeting up with the AME to medevac the wounded pilots from the shot down ARH.

At 05:40 Zipuli reported in he had a (severe) vehicles damage and commander injured so I once again rolled out with 1B and 15, but on the way to Zipuli Tacbat radioed in that he had casualty's, one -25 with 2 blown tyres and commander and gunner wounded.

As Tacbat's casualty's had higher priority (could render the vehicles combat effective again in comparison to zips that was a wreak) I turned around at 05:45 and headed to Tacbat's C/S.

15_3.jpg

Medics tending to the commander and gunner while the driver fixes the wheel damage himself.

After giving advanced medical care to the gunner and commander the ASLAV was fit to roll on at 06:33 again with both tyres fixed, rendering the ASLAV in 100% order.

The only towing needed to be done was on a admin C/S that got stuck in the water while crossing a river.

15_5.jpg

M88 tows ASLAV-PC from admin C/S out of the water

After Tacbat's casualty's had been dealt with 1B and 15 could now move to Zipuli's wounded commander.

15_6.jpg

15 in the lead with 1B trailing, racing towards next casualty

15_7.jpg

AME just arrived ready to have the commander transferred to the AME after medical stabilisation by the ambulance personnel.

Arriving at 06:48 the ambulances personnel started working on Zipuli's commander until the AME quickly arrived and the commander could be medevac:ed when the scenario ended. Due to the re-priority of tacbats wounded it tocked almost 1 hour and 10 minutes before qualified medical personnel could arrive, leaving the crew with dealing with their commander for a long time.

Turning around and get to Tacbat and started working on his wounded crew members only tocked 30mikes, which is more within the OK norm.

But what can you do with only small assets and large area to cover?

No rearming or refuelling needed (or could) be done, only the airborne elements consumed enough fuel to get me worried about it. Unfortunately I didn't have any rearming assets or else we could have tried to rearm the ARH when it was low on ammo.

Overall a great scenario, and as Tacbat had to leave for 15mikes I even got some recce done!

/Fifteen Katie

Edited by Kingtiger
Homer moved the thread for me :)

Mission conducted this morning my time.

OC's Backbrief / AAR to follow (apparently the combat cameraman spent his time brown nosing with the PM and couldn't cross the start line as planned).

Some Real Life AAR points:

1. Some concerns over hosting from Aust meant we actually hosted from the Northern Hemisphere (NH). I'm not concerend about losing "control" but it does mean we still don't know if hosting from AS works.

For next battle (possibly 2 weeks time) would like to at least start from "here" and if performance unacceptable then switch to a NH machine (on standby). Otherwise any campaign run from "here" will need to ensure a server is available "there" first and tie someone else up to host.

2. Use of Calendar seemed to help synchronise attendance.

3. Callsigns caused some confusion (esp. with each TP needing at least 2 or as many as 4 - depending on employment, or 6 for individual vehicles).

Since The Mission Editor lets you change names based on the Letter used I've gone with a simplified approach of:

A = 1 TP

B = 2 TP

C = 3 TP

D = 4 TP

E = 5 (or Admin) TP

F = FO and Arty / air assets

O = HQ

P = Pre placed wreckage

I'm pretty sure that US doctrinally that's wrong but that and the TP deployment boxes should help future players ID who gets what.

4. Have added some Ural Fuel and Stores trucks to Admin TP to overcome the ASLAV CSS's limitations.

5. Have damaged the radio in one Admin TP vehicle so people an go there and then jump to the ASLAV (Amb). Some "quirk" in the software apparently.

6. Many positive comments to "Companyteam" re the map and the quality of Red AI. Initially I thought I'd have to drive Red manually but then couldn't as I was no longer the server location. However I believe that Red was not managed by the new server location and it seemed to work very well.

Again all credit to "Companyteam".

I merely described an effect to him and he achieved it very well.

7. Reinforcement of my earlier warning re substantial fences and ASLAVs. Unsure if there is a less sturdy fence option but this provided another real world challenge to people who may have been used to tanks that just crash through such stuff. :)

New improved (call signs and fuel / cargo trucks only changes) version of file attached if people want a re run. (now loacated a coupple of posts down).

Edited by Gibsonm

One request I have regarding ADMIN TP is "screw" aussie standard C/S config in some situations.

I usually move the M113REP with M88 and a ambulance together, as a combat element. so when Zipuli does the scenarios they have platoon C/S so you can attach them together to form a platoon.

Same goes with soft skins. so FUEL and AMMO and the jeeps will have same platoon C/S so I can attach them to each other.

meaning I just have to move 2 or 3 complete sections around on the map instead of a whole bunch individual vehicles. (wich eases moving them around, avoding them to crash into each other etc)

So for next mission I would wish (please santa :) ) =

1 section

• "15" ASLAV-25
  • ASLAV-A

1 section

• M88
  • M113REP

1 section

• URAL FUEL
  • URAL AMMO

All the other as ASLAV-CS and the MB jeeps can be a separate C/S as I didnt do much with them anyway.

A nice addition was the AME, was really nice to add the realism of Helo Medevac. If AME isn't available because of enemy airthreath a BN Aid station could be set up somewhere behind the lines, so the ambulance has to return to the Bn Aid station before it can move out again and pick up new wounded?

But overall as stated on TS, loved the scenario and the map (well, minus fences).

So yeah, add a vehicles with permanent radio damage (one of the jeeps maybe?) so I can djump in and fine move the ambulances and its all perfection :)

Not a challenge in comparison to handling a Coy/Sqn by yourself, but it eases up the handling of rear echelon units so they don't bust into each other etc. I tend to plot routes on suspected roads to be used to ease the workload up but when they all arrive at the endpoint the units stacks up and so-fort so it´s just plain simpler to have them divided in sections. :)

Blast! :(

My AAR file didn't get saved, Bu**er!

Will have to leave it to the others to provide pictures. :(

However in general terms:

1 TP cleared RAYMOND TERRACE and then linked up with 2 TP. They encountered small party contacts in GS 8172 and 8475 at the junctions. They cleared these and confirmed that the supposedly blocked crossing at GS 8375 was trafficable.

They then cleared the East/ West road around the dam and supported 2 TPs assault at the Airfield.

2 TP initially had issues with new crewmen but crossed at HEXHAM and cleared the junction at GS 7768. They recovered the crew of a downed ARH nearby and then cleared the PACIFIC HWY north to RUBBER BALLOON.

They then pushed East and cleared the major lateral encountering some small parties en route and capturing some important documents. They then provided the aslt force for the recapture of the airfield.

3 TP cleared the coal loader area and then came under BMD and accurate indirect fire. Once these were suppressed they supported 4 TPs crossing and then headed South to clear STOCKTON (Sqn ME).

They suffered some casualties there and then re-positioned North to form the Sqn Reserve for the clearance of the Airbase.

4 TP met some initial resistance but achieved the crossing and cleared the East side of the TAOR and provided fire spt for the atk on the airfield.

The Avn assets encountered some hostile fire initially but from then on were able to designate tgts for arty and accounted for some ground targets in their own right.

Admin TP conducted a few casevacs and repaired some vehicle fwd using their FRTs. Admin TPs personal AAR can be seen above.

ADF_1.jpg

Edited by Gibsonm

3 Troop AAR, Part I:

The mission began with my troop splitting up into 2 sections, with Induction leading the second section of 2 x ASLAV-25 and 1 x ASLAV-PC. You can see our starting location from Gibson's map posted above - we are marked "3TP", the second unit from the right. Our mission was to clear the area just south of HUNTER RIVER, support 4 TP (Duke) when they cross the bridge to his AOR, and then to cross the same bridge and head south to clear the town of STOCKTON. As usual, we were the main effort. When completing the mission, we would be used as Squadron reserve.

The mission began around 04:30 local time, so it was still rather dark. My saection moved quickly over the bridge and I continued 3 km straight away, to establish visual on the hangar areas south of text "Hunter River". After my arrival, Induction used best speed to catch up with me and he deployed on my left flank, 200m away.

"We will move in 200m bounds, I'll lead" I ordered and Induction replied quickly.

We started moving forwards 200m at a time, with the other section providing overwatch. Southeast of us, 4 TP was moving 2 km ahead of us and was in contact. Infantry was seen in the buildings on his route to the bridges and 25mm HE was being fired on the confirmed enemy location. Interesting!

silta1.jpg

3 Troop crossing the rail bridge to AOR.

"19, this is 3 TP, Contact, PC on the other side of the river! Am I cleared to engage?" I shouted when I saw a form of a ligtly armoured vehicle near the area marked "South" in Gibson's map. I measured a range of 3700m from my location. "You are cleared to engage, out!" was the answer, and while 19, the Squadron OC was still speaking, I opened up with APDS-T from my 25 mikemike. The 25mm autocannon is mounted on the ASLAV to provide means to engage targets from a safe distance, as the vehicle itself is very lightly armoured. 3700m was a tad bit too safe distance. I watched as the rounds spread wide and long around the target, though I did register a few hits, shown by the bright flashes of metal hitting metal. Nothing. It was like throwing rocks from this distance. I fired all the APDS-T ready rounds with no effect, so I ordered my wingman to move forward to engage.

kartta.jpg

Situation when we made the contact. 4 TP is ahead of us to our southeast.

engaging.jpg

My ASLAV engaging the BMD-2, range 3700m. Futile.

While engaging, my wingman started to receive fire from the now identified BMD-2. It has a 30mm autocannon, though with AP ammo with very low penetration values. The ATGM system mounted on top of the vehicle was what worried me. The 30mm rounds hit the ground all around my wingman's vehicle, but didn't seem to hit that well. Later after the mission, we found about 20 hit marks on the evehicle, proving that from these ranges it was like tossing peas at each other. One of them peas did get stuck in an awkward place though, and my wingman reported "funny feel" in his suspension. One round went in between the two left front wheels and broke down the dampers. I ordered my section to pop smoke and pull back to get out of the fire. "The war of the peas" raged on, with Induction's section opening up on the same target, while I was repositioning.

osuma.jpg

Wingman is hit in the suspension, and losing some tires. At this range that's the best the 30mm AP could do.

But damn them Kiwis, never up for a fair fight! While reloading new belts of APDS-T, I hear a whistling sound, then popping like making popcorn. F***! Looking out through the vision blocks I see Induction's section under ICM barrage. Not good, NOT GOOD! Those little bastards of bomblets can tear through the roof of an Abrams, not to mention the soft skin of my ASLAVs (or ASSLOVEs as one of the cheekier gunners liked to say - the same smartass who wrote "CRUISIN" in the lead vehicle's side back in the training grounds...). Induction started dodging the inevitable, and I saw part of the bomblets dropping 100m behind me... phew! Oh sh**... That's where my ASLAV-PC is! The vehicle was backing up hastily and was lucky enough to miss all the deaths possible. But Induction was less lucky. His ASLAV-25 was hit directly by one of the bomblets, and the vehicle brew up. After the bombardment was over, the vehicle kept popping like a firecracker, as the ammunition inside was boiling. None survived. The spirits went from bad to angry in less than a minute. This was no training, this is "it". I heard on the radio net that the enemy had already caused more casualties to our Squadron - a chopper had been shot down and one ASLAV from 1 TP was blown up. Cursing my bad luck, I saw 4 TP advancing in for the kill southeast of me, but they ran into enemy ambush and lost 2 ASLAVs during the following 15 minutes... Lot's of good mates won't make it to the Cat Empire concert we planned on attending right after this bugger. More pints for me then...

indupalaa.jpg

Induction's ASLAV burning after being hit with ICM.

After being hit by the ICM barrage my Troop repositioned itself, still trying to engage the BMD. Frustrated I called in a firemission from the FO, and was satisfied seeing through my thermals that the fire was spot on. But with no visible effect. Damn! And more ICM started pouring on our last position. Keeping the range to the enemy vehicle was futile, as nothing seemed to work.

"3 TP, best speed forwards, march march, let's kill the wanker! Out!" I yelled on the comms and the 5 vehicles in the troop started speeding up, bouncing as we went. I did wish we had a stabilizer to keep the green image of my TIS stable, now the reticle was all over the place. While gaining speed I saw a 3rd ICM barrage hitting my last location. Cold sweat poured from under my helmet as we closed in with the enemy BMD. If it manages to fire a missile... don't think about it! Just rush like a 'roo and get on with it!

3000m. 2500m. 2000m. The distance became shorter and the target grew in my shaking TIS image. It was not firing, but the turret was looking my way. Not nice of him. My section went past 4 TP just south of me and I maneuvered the 3 vehicles behind a hill, providing me with enough cover to take turret down positions. My vehicle was out of APDS-T, so I ordered a reload break, as my wingman moved up to engage. The ground was littered with small stones on this hill, and it made moving slow and even more bumpy than getting there. Good thing for the rubber tires, otherwise my new tooth fillings would've dropped on the turret floor. A tankie is a tankie, but sometimes he does appreciate a smooth(ish) ride!

cruisin.jpg

"Cruisin" into position in the pebbled hill.

Reaching a good hull down position my wingman opened up with the 25 mikemike. He had only 6 rounds of APDS-T left, and after scoring 6 hits with no confirmed kill, he pulled back to reload. Induction was creeping into position just north of me to engage. I heard his lead vehicle's cannon firing off some rounds and then he too pulled back. My vehicle was back in the game and I drove up to engage. As quickly as I saw him I opened up, scored 20 hits before the bugger decided to die. 2 seconds later an ICM barrage from our FO hit the location, blowing at least 10 more holes in the hulk of the BMD. "Oh, did we have that stuff as well?" I thought, and came to the conclusion that our 2km mad dash towards the possible ATGM launcher in the open was still a manly thing to do. But stupid.

tappo.jpg

The kill. In the AAR I found out Induction killed him, and I fired 20 rounds to the dead hull. But don't tell him, he'll get cocky about it!

After Seeing the BMD burn there was trouble in the south. 4 TP had lost the 2 vehicles mentioned before and I saw a BMD and some footmobiles there. The BMD was in a place where I couldn't engage it, and 4 TP later got him, but the infantrymen that propably had fired RPGs at the ASLAVs were hit by 25mm HE-I bursts and mowed down. While my vehicle kept the 4 TP's front covered facing south, my wingman had finished reloading and took position on the hill.

"Two trucks on the other side of the bridge, engage, follow my tracers!" my wingman ordered to Induction's section after spotting two Ural trucks parked on the road leading to the bridge. The Thump thump thump of 25 mikemike firing HE went on for about 30 rounds, and the trucks were torn to pieces and burned. Induction joined the fray a bit too late to engage, but I ordered him to keep that area and the road leading north under surveillance while I finished off the few men that dismounted from the urals. Few more HE rounds, some gory splatter and flying limbs later the target was neutralized. The right thing to do, but still unnecessary as the troops did not pose any threat to us. But no prisoner's, eh.

rekat.jpg

Engaging the trucks with 25 mikemike.

4 TP had finished mopping up south of me and started crossing the bridge while my troop provided cover. Duke's lads turned north and passed the burning wrecks of the Urals.

"Good hunting, mate!" he cheered to me and I cheered back. Now my troop crossed the bridge and while heading south to our AOR we took a good look at the destroyed BMD we engaged. It looked like a swiss cheese with all the small holes in it. A lot of hit marks, both AP and HE spotted the hull and both tracks were blown to bits. The ATGM launcher was twisted beyong recognition and the body of the driver was still burning on the driver's seat, with his hatch open and the poor bastard clearly trying to get out, with one hand raised and an open mouth. While I passed to scene with my ASLAV, my vehicle shook the ground just enough to cause the charred driver to twist a bit, and 4 of the fingers in the raised hand snapped and dropped inside the vehicle.

silta2.jpg

Crossing the second bridge to move to our AOR.

So there I was in my lead vehicle, passing the dead guy in a BMD, holding his middle finger at me, his mouth open and a russian style tanker's helmet burning. It was an uncanny moment. I looked into his burned out eyes...

"F*** you too!"

End of Part I

3 Troop AAR, Part II:

Heading south to Stockton, our troop was marching with ASLAV-25 on point, but as we reached the northernmost buildings, my section dismounted the troops to sweep the area. The troops went on to check the houses, though not entering them to save time, with my ASLAV-25s providing overwatch, ready to rush to engage any identified targets. I kept the ASLAVs in cover, as the soft skinned loveboats were well out of their comfortzone here in the build up area, where engagement ranges are from 20 to 100 meters. Hell, even an AP round from a 7,62 may just get lucky against the ASLAV!

part2_1.jpg

Stockton. The monkeyboys heading for the buildings while the big guns keep back.

"19, this is 3 Troop, entering Stockton, looks clear, out!"

"Aww roger. Remember clearing Stockton is of utmost importance to us, as if it's not cleared we cannot safely conduct the assault on the Newcastle harbour."

Yeah, yeah, got it! It's just that I got 18 men sweeping the 100+ houses and yards and 5 ASLAVs to provide cover... Not one of the most liked missions. We are supposed to observe and engage from the distance, establishing infantry OPs and so on... Now I knew why the OC put me here...

"You write my mum if I don't come back from here? Over!"

"They receive mail at the zoo now? Over!"

Puzzled as my mum doesn't work in the zoo... wait a minute! Ahh well...

"Contact, PC, my front!" Induction had taken my left side and was moving his troops up with the remaining ASLAV-25 providing support. He had spotted a BMD in front of him, but was having trouble engaging it. I moved up a couple of meters and traversed the turret left. And there it was, a BMD, pointing his gun at Induction's section! My gunner lased, received a "pornographic range" as he liked to say when the LRF gives you "XXX" for range. The damn thing was close enough to touch, a few buildings away.

"Battle sight, walk the fire in!" I ordered and my gunner switched to small magnification, pointed at the target and fired. The first round scored a direct hit and the BMD burst into flames.

"Damn nice job!"

part2_2.jpg

Killing the BMD blocking Induction's avenue of advance. One shot, one kill! Hoo roo!

But there was no time to celebrate...

"Man down, man down!" Shouted the infantry section's leader as one of his men got hit by a shower of tracers. The young scout yanked violently when his knee burst into bits and he fell to the ground. The rest of the MG bursts flew over his head as his buddy crawled in to pull him out of the line of sight.

"He is alive, but lost a leg! There's something at the end of the road! Get 'im dammit!"

My ASLAV came to life again and moved forward along the road I was on. The trees around the road had branches hanging low, low enough to mostly block my sights. I cursed as I positioned myself to see the target.

"There! Fire!" My gunner lased.

"Porn!"

"Fire, fire now!" I yelled and the gunner did just that. Thump thump thump! The rounds flew over the target.

"Aim lower you dang platypus!"

"On it!"

Thump thump click!

The last round of the APDS-T belt flew 5 cm over the target. The BMD's turret turned to point at us.

"Fire HE! Just fire!"

Switching to HE the gunner fired, but after first round left the barrel, a loud crashing sound deafened me. I dropped inside the turret stunned. I looked at my legs, and saw a fountain of blood pouring down from my head.

"Shit, sir, your hit!"

I saw the mouth moving but heard nothing but a loud "beeeep" as my ears were rattled. Feeling my head I noticed that the left side was all bloodied and torn. Was that it for me?

part2_3.jpg

A scout is hit in the knee by 7,62mm PK fire. The BMD is well positioned, and you can see part of the turret in the end of the road. The scout survived, but his career as a rubgy player is over.

part2_4.jpg

The immobilized BMD (propably by the HE fire we fired before "going blind") shooting at us. The first 30mm AP round bounced off the front turret and wounded the TC. Next 2 rounds knocked out the radio and all sights.

While I was struggling to keep calm while my dusty camo suit was turning red, my gunner fired the smoke dischargers and ordered the driver to back up. The sights were down and radio went silent. After backing up behind a house, the gunner popped up his hatch and using hand signals he ordered the wingman's ASLAV to move in and engage the BMD in the cover of the smokescreen. Then he turned his attention to me, and started patching my head up with a bandage. The driver shut down the engine and jumped out and ran to the ASLAV-PC to radio in the medics. "Admin" received the order to come to our aid, but was soon redirected elsewhere due to two casualties in 2 Troop. I would have to hang on for now...

My wingman did as ordered and in the cover of the smokescreen he managed to engage and destroy the BMD. Once the threat was gone, the wounded infantryman was evacuated out of the harm's way and loaded to my PC, where his buddy stayed back to take care of him. The bleeding stopped and morphine gave the oozy, warm feeling. All was good, we were punctured and bloodied, but high none the less.

part2_5.jpg

Wingman engaging the BMD, successfully.

While I was more or less out of the fight, my gunner managed to repair the radio. The antennae were hit by shrapnel but 5 minutes of work and the radio came back to life. From the Troop net I could hear the remaining mates pushed on, house by house, street by street. The BMDs were killed, and the first BMD was re-engaged with MG fire after a helmet popped into sights under the hull. The survivor was gunned down. During our engagement with the second BMD the enemy had fired more ICM at us, setting the buildings afire behind us, but this went mostly unnoticed by me, as I was a little too busy getting hit by that 30mm fire.

part2_6.jpg

The 3 Troop pushing onwards.1/1/A up north is the Troop commander's vehicle, that was damaged and pulled to safety.

Induction's section kept moving on the left side, house by house. All looked quiet, but reaching a two story white building, the 2nd squad of his infantry section came under fire and one of the men got hit in the gut. The rest of the men ducked and opened up. The building's wall disintegrated in the weight of the fire and windows were shattered. The door of the building popped open and a dark figure rushed out with 2 others following. The scouts opened up again and the 3 figures dropped like rugs when zipped with 5,56mm rounds. The lead squad rushed up and finished the job with a hand grenade. Searching the house they found few PK ammo boxes and shell casings. The enemy squad was destroyed.

The other squad went on to inspect the WIA. Unfortunately nothing could be done, but to inject morphine and hold the hand of a dying man, as he went through to the other side, screaming in agony and praying with his guts pouring on the ground. A messy sight... The trooper was bodybagged and moved to Induction's ASLAV-25. War indeed is hell! But fighting on your own turf makes it that more personal, and the troop continued on to finish it. This was no Iraq, where one could just abort a mission if casualties were taken... For the queen and country!

In 15 minutes Stockton was fully sweeped and the southern edge was reached. The harbour area was observed for a short time, but there was no movement. The troops remounted the PCs and the Troop formed a column, moved north and all 5 vehicles started moving north again. I was not in condition to continue fighting, but I kept answering to the radio when our Troop was called. We received orders to ride north to be the Squadron's fast response reserve. The rest of the Squadron were to assault the RAAF airfield, held by the enemy airborne troops.

part2_7.jpg

Stockton cleared. Sun is rising and the troops return to their PCs to mount up and move out.

We started moving up, and the sun came up as well. The battered column of vehicles roared onwards. I radioed "Admin" that he would link up with us at the future reserve site. He agreed and we moved on.

part2_8.jpg

The column on the move. All those fences, Katie so loves. In Australia they are to keep the sheep from going anywhere... you know... you don't want them wandering off...

When we reached the reserve site I was starting to feel the pain. I looked my face's reflection using my combat knife's shiny blade. I looked bad. Left side of my head was covered by a red and white bandage and bits and pieces of the 30mm round had torn open my skin in many places. I looked like a tank's armour when hit by a HEAT round - a hole and a splash of shrapnel around it.

Stopping our vehicle the driver shut down the engine. The birds were singing and the rest of the ASLAVs were humming. I heard on the radio that the medics were on their way to our location. Finally! I was quite OK, but the trooper in the back of my ASLAV was not. He nearly blacked out, but his buddy managed to keep him talking. Sort of. Mumbling to be more precise. But still alive, thank God for that!

The rest of the Troop moved out to move closer to the airfield. In the radio I could hear a lot was happening. Another chopper was shot down, an UAV was shot down. Few ASLAVs received damage, two more got killed in the attack. Some troops were lost in artillery fire. The enemy vehicles and choppers were decimated by our units and artillery. This was war allright. I felt sick about it. But I knew it had to be done...

The ambulance closed in from the horizon and parked next to our vehicle. The medics gave us all their attention untill the scout too was stabilized. After a 15 minutes our medevac chopper arrived in the area, and landed in one of the fields, scaring the sheep. We moved to the chopper, with myself walking and the scout being dragged by the medics. My gunner and driver carried the black bodyback from Induction's section. We 3 were loaded in the chopper, and as we waved, the helo lifted and started moving west. I saw the faces of my comrades fading in the dust lifted by the chopper. In the distance I saw bright flashes and thick black smoke pouring up. The airfield assault was nearing its end and the 3 Troop would not take part in it. My war was over, for now.

part2_9.jpg

The medevac chopper came to evacuate the 3 casualties (2 WIA and 1 KIA) from 3 Troop. Katie's ambulance was a welcome sight when it arrived!

The End.