Spotting a Dead Tank

LtGeorge

In SB, the AI (including your CO and gunner) know instantly if the target is dead or or still living - even if the target has been completely and for all outward appearances to be disabled but still technically "alive." But actual combat is messier.

Thanks to recent events in certain countries, I can watch hundreds of videos on youtube of ATGMs (usually TOW) delivering hits to Soviet-type tanks (usually T-72 and T-62) in actual combat conditions. This brought up an interesting skill that a real-life tanker would have - how do you know the tank you've just hit is finished from the fight?

As I watch these videos, it was rare that a turret was popped and thrown into the air. I think the only ones I've seen popped were close-combat RPGs. It seems rare that a TOW or Spigot would pop a turret, although in SB it is pretty typical that a T-72 turret will get thrown when hit by one of these.

There is the tell-tale fire flare that comes up from the two top hatches once the "furnace" gets going inside, but sometimes it takes some time until that conflagration gets going. In that time, you're probably intending to give the tank another shot while you're being reloaded, because in combat you must assume he's still fighting.

One thing I found myself watching was the muzzle of the main gun. On several hits, you'd see a poof of smoke come out of the muzzle, and that seemed to be a sign of certain death. I was wondering if some tankers could answer why that occurs - was the breech open when the tank was hit? Or if the tank interior is being shredded by fire and explosions, does the breech closure assembly swing open (i.e., loss of hydraulics)?

I guess I could probably answer my own question. It's probably a combination of after-effects, like fire shooting out of the orifices of the hit tank, and/or members of the crew bailing out. Until then I guess a real crew against a real target would keep engaging it.

Makes it seem rather tricky with SB's western tanks, which usually just go still and maybe a trickle of smoke coming from the hatches.

Keep shooting until it changes shape and / or colour.

The British Army doctrine is "Go for the Crew".

One thing I found myself watching was the muzzle of the main gun. On several hits, you'd see a poof of smoke come out of the muzzle, and that seemed to be a sign of certain death. I was wondering if some tankers could answer why that occurs - was the breech open when the tank was hit? Or if the tank interior is being shredded by fire and explosions, does the breech closure assembly swing open (i.e., loss of hydraulics)?

Generally the Gun is the largest "unprotected" part.

The barrel is a thin tube about 25/30mm thick a side.

So it could be a number of things.

A hefty shock could knock mechanisms out of place. etc etc etc.

I often find myself asking the same thing though I began to observe the enemy tank when I gun, if it even remotely twitches I give it another but if not then it is out of action, it can be hard to tell when the turret doesn't pop off or if the barrel doesn't dive forward though that one is rare or I am thinking of Arma as well. Anyway the best bet I found was to simply "try" to observe the tanks reactions after the hit with out spending too much time doing it in open combat :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

....depending on whether a round is in the breech (muzzle goes up), or not. Most guns are mounted "nose-heavy" in the gun cradle even if the designers' attempt is to minimize the imbalance moment to reduce the load on the stabilization system. A cartridge loaded in the breech will usually swing the balance in favor of the rear end already.

• 2 weeks later...