Repairing Armor

cj95

Just something I have always wondered:

Given the complex multi-layered nature of modern armor plate, how does one actually repair it after taking damage?

Say you take a SABOT on the turret face and defeat the round. Assuming this leaves a nice little (non penetrating) hole in your armor are you required to replace the entire turret, or is there some other method for patching up damage?

(Also back in the saddle after about a years absence.)

(Finding my Dongle was a pain in the dongle.)

• Members

Turret replacement is never necessary in such a case. Option a, you sinply patch it up and leave it like that if you can't afford to replace the vehicle. The armor surrounding the impact crater doesn't deteriorate much, so the protection level is still high.

Case in point: The acceptance test of the Leopard 2A6 in Greece was scandalized by the press because the turret failed to stop one DM63 live round ... after absorbing 29 others.

Option b is to send the tank to depot level maintenance. Weld open a number of cover plates, extract the armor inlays, cover the cavity again, and weld it shut. Paint. In the case of the Leclerc, no welding is necessary, just a replacement of the external armor module. And that's it, more or less.

The Leclerc has an array of modules in theturret front. The modules are slided and bolted, then covered with glass fiber to mask the limits.

Behind the modules there are titanium plates that cover the frontal arc. Those plates are indeed welded.

Regarding the hull armor it is quite unknown how the modules are set in place.

The Leclerc has an array of modules in theturret front. The modules are slided and bolted, then covered with glass fiber to mask the limits.

Behind the modules there are titanium plates that cover the frontal arc. Those plates are indeed welded.

Regarding the hull armor it is quite unknown how the modules are set in place.

ah ok, i was looking at the weldlines near the TC's vision blocks.

for leclerc front hull armour, i only have this image:

kWU5Qyi.jpg

Well... the weldlines are basically covered by the fiber glass. But if you take a closer look, you can see it.

In addition the bodywork on the TC and gunner spots cover the welds.

Found this blueprint on the web (most likely a scan from Mr Chassillan's book) here what I see :

12366009_10153731992418187_5732812872231033542_o.jpg

Red are the titanium non modular armor.

Green are the armor modules.

For the turret bustle, it's masked by the turret roof (storage) module.

Regarding the hull, it remains a complete mystery on how they pack things up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they weld a cover plate on top of the armor.