newbee question.

RCJM

Greetings all.

Just a couple of simple questions, (if there is such a thing)

1/

I have been playing with the map/mission editors and wish to know how to target and destroy a static object, eg:- a bridge or building.

I understand you can capture such items, such as in a capture the flag situation by occupying the area about the object but in some cases, as in a real file situation, a capture is not good enough.

How then do you make it so that your target bridge or building can be denied to the enemy or taken out of the situation. I have tried firing shells into farm buildings, bridges, etc. and nothing happens other than the expenditure of munitions. I would love to be able to take a bridge out leaving an enemy platoon trapped midway, if you get what I mean.

2/

There are quiet a few maps and with their contours they are a bit hard to see the areas you want (Map Editor). Has anyone come across an area or areas where there are bluffs and cliffs, or even a battle zone involving the Valley of the Gods, Utah? or the grand canyon??

Thanks for reading

RCJM

• Members

1/

I have been playing with the map/mission editors and wish to know how to target and destroy a static object, eg:- a bridge or building.

Click to select, then press the Del key.

I understand you can capture such items, such as in a capture the flag situation by occupying the area about the object but in some cases, as in a real file situation, a capture is not good enough.

Bridges can be demolished with an IED. You would need to plant the IED in the mission editor and define its trigger condition in a way that units must first capture the bridge region to arm the IED ("place the demolition charge"), and then to retreat to a safe location.

I haven't tried IEDs on buildings. Alternatively, try and trigger an aircraft strike and see if that works.

2/

There are quiet a few maps and with their contours they are a bit hard to see the areas you want (Map Editor). Has anyone come across an area or areas where there are bluffs and cliffs, or even a battle zone involving the Valley of the Gods, Utah? or the grand canyon??

Maybe not that extreme, but there's the "Trentino Alto" map which has a massive height variance. Unfortunately that also makes navigating the map very difficult at best for all vehicles. It is, after all, alpine/high mountainous terrain.

Greetings and welcome to both 2016 and the SB Forum!

Yes IED's can destroy / damage buildings (I use them in the Mission Editor to reflect battle damage - so there are buildings on fire, etc at mission start, not some pristine tourist landscape).

If you have any more questions, happy to help since I live in your corner of the world and our BG ANZAC virtual unit has some Kiwi members too.

Just email / PM me (just click on my ID and select your preferred choice).

Also can I suggest you visit here if you haven't already:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

Thank you all for your wisdom.

Will sure to be asking further questions.

Will eventually look at joining a Virtual Unit but not until I learn how to handle my armour better. Don't want to cause the "Enemy" to die laughing. Or my team mates either.:bigsmile:

I shell check out the map and see how to lay IEDs, and as far as airstrikes go--- in a year or two when I have read anything.

Currently working to build a map for my own learning experience and if it turns out any good may post it. but it is all flat with trees, rock and water as the only obstacles.

Start small and simple

Regards all and to all a happy 2016

Rick (RCJM)

• 3 months later...