REFORGER

Hedgehog

• Members

While the REturn of FORces to GERmany was mostly about US reinforcements being sent across the Atlantic and the US divisions were concentrated south of the Main river, the maneuvers invoked a partial mobilization of NATO forces from Norway, Denmark, and the entirety of the border between West Germany and East Germany and Czechoslovakia. I wouldn't rule out additional land maneuvers in Italy, Greece, and Turkey, but I don't know anything about them. Maybe someone else here does.

The southern half of Germany fell into the sector of the Army Group CENTral (CENTAG), the northern half plus Denmark was the NORTHAG sector (I'll let you guess what that that acronym stands for) and LANDJUT (which was the largest corps in all of NATO, responsible for the terrain north of the Elbe river up to the Skagerrak), so pretty much every map of Germany and Denmark could be part of a Reforger related maneuver zone. The further east, the earlier it would be a location in the typical exercise script. Jutland, the main body of Denmark's territory, would have been the last stand, so to speak, given that Copenhagen was in a rather exposed location, and an early goal in possible amphibious operations in the Baltic sea.