I'm back...and happy to be here :-)

Deputy276

New website looks great and seems much more efficient.

I've been "away" playing the other game on modern armored combat. They are screwing it up so bad with every patch that I finally gave up on it, un-installed it, and re-installed SB. And amazingly, I find that I am actually BETTER at playing SB than I was previously. Perhaps the other place was good training, I dunno. But I am sure enjoying playing the Challenger a lot more here. :D

Just one weird thing I experienced when re-installing SB. When I bought the game last year I got the "loaded" option of manual, DVD, and code key. When I went to install the game using the DVD, it hung up on the first module. Tried over and over and it wouldn't install. I ended up downloading all the modules and installing that way and it worked. I saved everything on a new DVD. So does that mean the DVD I bought is now a drink coaster? :(   

• Members

Well, it lies in the nature of things that with every new update installation disk become obsolete. Some people like them as collectibles; also, some people are still on 56k dial-up networks, so installation disks still have their place.

Finally, we may - depending on circumstances - add more stuff on a DVD than we may put in the online installer (to keep the download size more manageable). We're not always doing this. 

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Well, it lies in the nature of things that with every new update installation disk become obsolete. Some people like them as collectibles; also, some people are still on 56k dial-up networks, so installation disks still have their place.

Finally, we may - depending on circumstances - add more stuff on a DVD than we may put in the online installer (to keep the download size more manageable). We're not always doing this. 

Learn by experience I guess. :|

3 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

New website looks great and seems much more efficient.

I've been "away" playing the other game on modern armored combat. They are screwing it up so bad with every patch that I finally gave up on it, un-installed it, and re-installed SB. And amazingly, I find that I am actually BETTER at playing SB than I was previously. Perhaps the other place was good training, I dunno. But I am sure enjoying playing the Challenger a lot more here. :D

Games like AW/WT/WOT are good for speeding up the reflexes.  IMO

But not very realistic. IMO

Not even close to realistic.. but.. yeah, they help with some basic tactics and things you could learn if you can filter them from all other stupidities community can throw at you :D

Btw i realized that mine skills went up when i changed joystick last year.. Old one was simply too rough for shooting at anything beyond 800m. To the point that i was playing as TC exclusively.

• Members
18 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

Learn by experience I guess. :|

I'm sorry if there was a disappointment for you in this... but really, unless there's a way to remotely update installation disks after production and delivery I'm not sure what the alternative is, aside from not updating our software. That with remedy you'd probably would want your problem back. ;)

11 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I'm sorry if there was a disappointment for you in this... but really, unless there's a way to remotely update installation disks after production and delivery I'm not sure what the alternative is, aside from not updating our software. That with remedy you'd probably would want your problem back. ;)

Not a gigantic thing. But it might be nice to warn folks that the install disc WILL become totally useless once an update is put out. Might save them from wasting their cash. ;) I AM enjoying the game again, so that kinda makes up for it. 

• Members

There's always the question: Should you put out a new installer, or a mere patch. There's several factors at play, some of which are

• Size of download (should be kept as small as possible, which favors the patch)
  • Ease of installation (favors full installers; patches seem to confuse people, particularly if several of them have to be applied in a specific sequence)
  • Installation disk obsolescence (do we throw away the stock of installation disks that haven't been sent out because we create a new installer, or do we put out a patch)
  • Ease of finding the right thing to download and install. Putting up too many options - say, a patch AND a full installer for the same version - seems to sow more confusion than the proponents of "choice is good" seem to be willing to admit; I'm non-judgmental here, just reporting my observations

So, our conclusion is that there should never be more than one patch to apply; if there's a new update that could be rolled out as a patch, it must be one that includes all previous patches. If the sum of all patches requires a new installer, well, it's time to say goodbye to old installation disks.

14 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Well its not quite useless.

It just means your install / update process becomes:

1. Install DVD.

2. Apply patches / updates that have come out since.

As opposed to:

1. Install DVD.

Nope. Doesn't work. Hangs on setup (1st file) on DVD. Tried downloading new setup file. Still didn't work. Had to download ALL new files to get an installation. So install now is:

1. Go to fridge and get a Diet Coke.

2. Place Diet Coke on original install DVD that I paid for.

3. Place newly-burned DVD with new files on it in DVD tray.

4. Drink Diet Coke while DVD installs via new files.

12 hours ago, Ssnake said:

There's always the question: Should you put out a new installer, or a mere patch. There's several factors at play, some of which are

• Size of download (should be kept as small as possible, which favors the patch)
  • Ease of installation (favors full installers; patches seem to confuse people, particularly if several of them have to be applied in a specific sequence)
  • Installation disk obsolescence (do we throw away the stock of installation disks that haven't been sent out because we create a new installer, or do we put out a patch)
  • Ease of finding the right thing to download and install. Putting up too many options - say, a patch AND a full installer for the same version - seems to sow more confusion than the proponents of "choice is good" seem to be willing to admit; I'm non-judgmental here, just reporting my observations

So, our conclusion is that there should never be more than one patch to apply; if there's a new update that could be rolled out as a patch, it must be one that includes all previous patches. If the sum of all patches requires a new installer, well, it's time to say goodbye to old installation disks.

Or......eliminate the DVD and just make the game downloadable so that people don't pay for something that will eventually be totally worthless (other than a soda coaster). :)

• Members

The DVD is a separate item. I'm not sure how much more obvious we can make it in our shop that it's an optional item, short of putting a warning next to it in our web shop not to buy anything. Our marketing is based on near-suicidal, brutal honesty already - but this is a step that I won't take. If you buy software these days you pretty much expect it to evolve. Heck, a glance at our Downloads page reveals every update that we ever released, and the dates when we released these updates. Anyone can extrapolate the rate of obsolescence from that.

Based on your logic we shouldn't offer printed manuals either. Heck, there shouldn't be PCs, just terminals to your regional datacenter.

On 3/20/2016 at 11:04 AM, Ssnake said:

The DVD is a separate item. I'm not sure how much more obvious we can make it in our shop that it's an optional item, short of putting a warning next to it in our web shop not to buy anything. Our marketing is based on near-suicidal, brutal honesty already - but this is a step that I won't take. If you buy software these days you pretty much expect it to evolve. Heck, a glance at our Downloads page reveals every update that we ever released, and the dates when we released these updates. Anyone can extrapolate the rate of obsolescence from that.

Based on your logic we shouldn't offer printed manuals either. Heck, there shouldn't be PCs, just terminals to your regional datacenter.

Nooooo. I simply said warn people that if you buy the DVD, a warning should be present that it may/will eventually become totally useless. It would be one thing if you could always install the game via DVD and then it would automatically upgrade to the latest version, or even warn you that you need to download the latest version and take you to the website. As it is, it simply LOCKS UP and REFUSES to install with no explanation at all. Hardly good marketing to have something like that happen. When it happened to me, I immediately thought I either had a problem with my DVD player or a flaw on the DVD.

Edited by Deputy276

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Well, it certainly shouldn't lock up or anything. It would still install what's on it. I mean, we don't have the technology to prevent the installation of obsolete Steel Beasts versions.

Then I must have an "experimental/prototype" or a bad DVD. It stops cold on installing after about 80% of the first file is complete. I looked at the DVD and cleaned it and it still does the same thing. No scratches or anything present on the surface of the DVD. Actually, it was the first time I used it, since I had the game installed via download prior to ordering the package. I will gladly send it to you at my cost for inspection if you are curious or think I am BSing. :)

Edited by Deputy276

• 4 months later...

Salutations,

Just a comment. When I purchase a game DVD, I expect to be able to load the game version on the disc for play. If there is an update to the game... I still expect to be able to load the original version of the game from the DVD sans update. Afterwards, I should be able to update the original DVD game version to the new version. Even If I have to pay for the new patch.  Am I being unreasonable or have I missed something? I'm sure we can reload the game from our DVD... right?

Edited by Thadwb

Thadwb: Pretty much agree. No idea why the original DVD didn't work. The new DVD does have a different file system where it is in "cab" format instead of the files being compressed into 4-5 files. But yes, it should have worked. I thought maybe a bad DVD, but I had the game downloaded on another DVD and had the exact same problem. And I have loaded it on to this comp before. Danged if I know why it didn't load. Nils WAS great and got me a replacement DVD that works perfectly. 

I DON'T think patches should be something you pay for, though. Upgrades like the one that is coming out...yes. But not repairs.

Edited by Deputy276