SB Pro PE 4.0 - Discussion thread

Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well thanks to those who posted examples of the terrain. I must say I am a bit disappointed. It looks like 2D graphics left over from SVGA video cards. For sure the graphics cards for version 4.0 won't ever be stressed. Is the game engine not capable of anything better than this or is immersion factor for the outside world beyond the armored vehicle not that important? I see tires and tracks that are sunk into concrete. Trees with 2D flat leaves. Polygon angles on curved areas of the road. No real detail on the maps to make you feel like you are on planet Earth. All the foliage is static. Yes, there are tons of bells and whistles inside the tank to twiddle with inside the vehicle. But when you look outside a view port or use 3rd person view, the realism evaporates. I know the emphasis in this program is as a military trainer, but video cards today are capable of so much MORE than what we see in these examples. Are the countries using SB using toasters for computers or what? Okay, here a video of what most folks are used to on their comps for a modern military program. Just concentrate on the scenery and graphics and never mind the lack of realism in the game play or minutia of the vehicles.

Edited by Deputy276

well you cant compare armoured warfare with steelbeast since it runs on first of all a completely different engine compared to steelbeast, and the maps are smaller compared to anything in steelbeast. also i bet all the stuff you see is slowly getting worked on.. i mean if you look at the terrain already now ith 4.0 its been massively altered.. and i for one have used steelbeast for real training purposes for the cv9035 in denmark.. and for us its still a great tool.. if not the best tool for training without having to do the real thing...

Edited by DK-DDAM

I suspect as with any software you can concentrate on realism or you can concentrate of graphics.

To do both takes much more time and you rarely see it. If Esim didn't do awesome internals and went for less realism I'm sure this sim would look like above.

Depends on what you like most. I like what we have personally.

Para: I guess you are right. The immersion factor is what I miss. Even my old, outdated comp can handle the modern graphics. Plus there are strategic issues with not always being out in an open field all the time. I mean tank combat DOES occur in built up areas too. Or at least in village-sized battles. Side-scraping and ambushing just can't be done with SB Pro because there really is no "urban" environment. At least, we haven't seen any. Imagine infantry deploying into a town to clear it and running into a tank and calling for armored support. Would be pretty cool. :)

17 minutes ago, Deputy276 said:

Para: I guess you are right. The immersion factor is what I miss. Even my old, outdated comp can handle the modern graphics. Plus there are strategic issues with not always being out in an open field all the time. I mean tank combat DOES occur in built up areas too. Or at least in village-sized battles. Side-scraping and ambushing just can't be done with SB Pro because there really is no "urban" environment. At least, we haven't seen any. Imagine infantry deploying into a town to clear it and running into a tank and calling for armored support. Would be pretty cool. :)

I would love to see what you are describing although not quite what we see above - maybe some day we will be closer. We have to see in 4.0 what we have once some new maps are made.

Ground detail will be much closer to what we see above I think.

Really what the above sim has is more objects and more detailed buildings. I actually find SB looks better in the distance and It feels more realistic visually even though there is less detail.

The sim above feels cramped - everything is too close. Would be fun clearing towns and calling tank support but that's just a matter of scenario design.

I suspect modders could do a huge amount with buildings and objects - unfortunately I'm not one :)

Edited by Parachuteprone

well thats because para that armoured warfare is more an arcade game like world of tanks. the engine they use is able to handle the details.. since the maps arent that big either... makes a big difference... but hope it will be worked on for SB aswell.. happy with it.

12 minutes ago, Parachuteprone said:

I would love to see what you are describing although not quite what we see above - maybe some day we will be closer.

We all do!

Give me a game that models armored vehicles like Steel Beasts, aircraft like DCS, and Infantry like Rainbow 6: Ravenshield, all with the looks of Battlefield (Frostbite 2 engine, destructible environments!) and I'd probably never leave my house. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

2 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

We all do!

Give me a game that models armored vehicles like Steel Beasts, aircraft like DCS, and Infantry like Rainbow 6: Ravenshield, all with the looks of Battlefield (Frostbite 2 engine, destructible environments!) and I'd probably never leave my house. 

+1

Maybe in SB version 20.0. LoL

8 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

We all do!

Really? You're using Rainbow 6 as the infantry standard, and not Arma 3? Even the old Rainbow games, before Ubisoft turned the series into an arcade crap shooter, were vastly inferior to Arma as an infantry simulator.

Edited by Razor

I'd be happy with just a detailed town/city in SB.  As Para said, we shall have to see what can be done with 4.0. Most video cards can handle WAY more than what is in SB. Even if the trees and grass don't move, they can at least be 3 dimensional and "fleshed out" more that what we are seeing.

For Infanterie Arma 3 is the Best you can get in real SandboxSim. Yeah even with modded stuff amazing but the tanks, chopper and planes are on low realism. But by the way how much hours did you need to train on a plane in dcs or get close to a good tanker in SteelBeasts? That is the problem. Most People want fast action wihout days of hard training.......

Edited by StKpPzBrig18
sytanx

1 minute ago, Deputy276 said:

I'd be happy with just a detailed town/city in SB.  As Para said, we shall have to see what can be done with 4.0. Most video cards can handle WAY more than what is in SB. Even if the trees and grass don't move, they can at least be 3 dimensional and "fleshed out" more that what we are seeing.

Tanks are a open country beast they don't like towns city's.

Its just Generals keep sending them in to them.

I appreciate good Graphics some of the vehicle models in war thunder are stunning but for me its all about the fidelity if I had a choice it will all ways be substance over beauty

That's not taking away anything from what the esim team have achieved with a very old engine talk about getting blood out of a stone.

• Members
8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Dust in the rain? ;)

I've seen it. Anyway, the basic idea is that you set in the terrain theme two extreme ground conditions, "completely dry" and "completely soaked". SB Pro will then interpolate between these extremes. The initial weather control point's precipitation will set the initial ground condition; no precipitation = dry ground conditions. Light precipitation: 25% moisture; medium precipitation = 50% moisture, etc.

I concede that maybe there should be no dust at all at 25% ground moisture level. But these are all just figures. We can change them easily, and some tweaking is still to be expected in the next round of the beta test.

Oh boy, nice... So much hype, and list of vehicles we will be able to drive is not even posted yet...

A simple question to SSnake: IF i get you all possible fabrication docs (armor measures, fire system description, engine and transmissions data, etc..)for M-84 ( or any of subsequent variants made in ex republics of YU,including Croatia or Serbia) can you make it happen ? :D in 4.5 or 5.0 ? 

I have colleague visiting main assembly plant for that MBT like once per month due to work on other game.. So i thought wth.. why not trying ? IT is Cold war project they dont keep those docs behind safe door any more :)