Rotareneg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/30/2016 at 4:01 PM, Parachuteprone said:

In fact to relieve the suffering of the Beta testers I would be willing to pay for and play the release this weekend - It being a long weekend n all for us Canucks !

Its the least we can do :)

I hear you there. I do a bit of testing with a few Steam games and enjoy it. However, seeing how many people place judgement and write a review on a product during early access and testing stages instead of just doing bug reports, I can understand why Ssnake is not for using public testers.

• Members

I'm not so much afraid of negative publicity (although I don't dismiss it either; "reviews" based on beta versions can definitely hurt business). It's just that I feel that if we're charging money for it, it should meet minimum standards for overall product quality. Of course we can debate all day long where exactly that line for "minimum quality" should be drawn. Some people will set the bar higher than others do. But it should be possible to enjoy the experience, and given that we're working on iterations of a legacy product, people have certain expectations about what SB Pro is and what it should be able to do, irrespective of feature additions from one version to the next.

You want to be able to run your old scenarios without a significant performance drop even if we add a layer of eye candy on top of the product. So we definitely want to use the remaining time as best as possible, squashing bugs and tweaking performance. Only after some thorough testing we can decide whether the result is release worthy.

1 hour ago, Azure Lion said:

I hear you there. I do a bit of testing with a few Steam games and enjoy it. However, seeing how many people place judgement and write a review on a product during early access and testing stages instead of just doing bug reports, I can understand why Ssnake is not for using public testers.

Also AIUI the Beta Testers have had to remove 3.028 to ensure there are no conflicts, etc.

So being a Beta Tester effectively quarantines you from MP for X months (apart from MP with other Beta Testers in order to test the MP component) unless of course you have a 2nd machine.

I can definitely understand that, and I applaud you for your excellent business practices. I respect you and esimgames very much due to this.

Going back to public testing though, as was mentioned earlier by Rotareneg, SB is a continuously evolving product. I think many of us understand this, and despite any bugs most of us encounter, we just mention them in the forums and continue enjoying knowing full well it will be corrected at a later date if it warrants the effort.

With that, I feel there are some of us who knowing full well that it is still in the testing stages of development, would be more than happy to purchase a pre-release and assist with the troubleshooting knowing that we will get the get the full release anyway. Plus, I know it pleases me knowing that I helped in the testing and troubleshooting process of a project I enjoy.

That being said, if this route were to ever even be considered, I would definitely say there should be some requirements. Such things as interviews, verifiable and verified contact information, length of time active in the community, perhaps even needing to have the permanent license of the product, certain credentials and/or experience, et cetera.

2 minutes ago, Azure Lion said:

I can definitely understand that, and I applaud you for your excellent business practices. I respect you and esimgames very much due to this.

Going back to public testing though, as was mentioned earlier by Rotareneg, SB is a continuously evolving product. I think many of us understand this, and despite any bugs most of us encounter, we just mention them in the forums and continue enjoying knowing full well it will be corrected at a later date if it warrants the effort.

With that, I feel there are some of us who knowing full well that it is still in the testing stages of development, would be more than happy to purchase a pre-release and assist with the troubleshooting knowing that we will get the get the full release anyway. Plus, I know it pleases me knowing that I helped in the testing and troubleshooting process of a project I enjoy.

That being said, if this route were to ever even be considered, I would definitely say there should be some requirements. Such things as interviews, verifiable and verified contact information, length of time active in the community, perhaps even needing to have the permanent license of the product, certain credentials and/or experience, et cetera.

As I said above though prepare to have no MP experience during your Public Beta test.

The server and all participants need to run the same version.

So if 20+ people and the server have 3.028 and you have 4.x, you can't join.

Edited by Gibsonm

9 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Also AIUI the Beta Testers have had to remove 3.028 to ensure there are no conflicts, etc.

So being a Beta Tester effectively quarantines you from MP for X months (apart from MP with other Beta Testers in order to test the MP component) unless of course you have a 2nd machine.

There are always compromises. This is something I am willing to do. Though, I do have more than enough components to create a second machine... which I have been planning to do for some time, just haven't felt the need nor desire to yet.

2 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

As I said above though prepare to have no MP experience during your Public Beta test.

The server and all participants need to run the same version.

So if 20+ people and the server have 3.028 and you have 4.x, you can't join.

Ach~! Give a person time to reply! xD

25 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Don't you have 2 machines :) I have three, counting my laptop :D

18 minutes ago, JohnO said:

Don't you have 2 machines :) I have three, counting my laptop :D

Oh good grief, I don't want to start counting laptops too. O.o

Mainly because I don't think any of my laptops would run SB Pro PE. xD

Edited by Azure Lion

Here we GO :P No laptop.

1. Commodore Amiga 500. Commodore CRT Monitor. 512 KB memory extension (for Gunship 2000! )
2. Intel Pentium II 500Mhz. 3DFX Voodoo 3000. 14 CRT Monitor. Windows 98. (veeerrrryyyy old 3DFX sims there)
3. AMD Sempron +2800. Nvidia 7800GS. 17 CRT Monitor. Windows XP SP2. (old sims there)
4. Intel Core2Duo e6600. Nvidia 8800GT. 19 4:3 LCD Monitor. Windows XP SP3 + Windows 7 32 bits. (more classics)
5. AMD Athlon 5150 Quad. Integrated Graphics. LED TV. Windows 10. For movies and simple games.
6. Intel i7-4770. Nvidia 770. 16GB. 23 LED Monitor. Windows 7 64bits. (Finally one pretty good for Steel Beasts + Emulators & wrappers HELL for run almost all the sims/games of previous machines 9_9o.OxD But original feeling never gets old B|)

mmm ^_^ is a museum around here :D The bad thing is when you have to clean dust inside them!:S

Regarding the release, I would rather have it sooner than later, but if it must wait then it must wait.

Regarding a beta test, I think it might be best to NOT use the beta in MP play at least for things like LNOT/TGIF just because organizational blah blah.

• Members
6 hours ago, Azure Lion said:

Going back to public testing though, as was mentioned earlier by Rotareneg, ...

I feel there are some of us who knowing full well that it is still in the testing stages of development, would be more than happy to purchase a pre-release and assist with the troubleshooting knowing that we will get the get the full release anyway. Plus, I know it pleases me knowing that I helped in the testing and troubleshooting process of a project I enjoy.

Your offer is worth some consideration for the New Terrain engine in December. Right now we're very close to the end of the initial beta test, and introducing a lot of people and explaining them all the things we expect them to test and how to submit error reports etc., it would just be disruptive rather than helping.

Public beta tests seem to work when the base product is already sufficiently tested and you want certain changes to be confirmed valid. It's a question of choosing the right instrument for the right job.

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Your offer is worth some consideration for the New Terrain engine in December. Right now we're very close to the end of the initial beta test, and introducing a lot of people and explaining them all the things we expect them to test and how to submit error reports etc., it would just be disruptive rather than helping.

Public beta tests seem to work when the base product is already sufficiently tested and you want certain changes to be confirmed valid. It's a question of choosing the right instrument for the right job.

That was the same strategy that Eugen used with wargame Airland Battle and wargame Red Dragon

When I asked on previous page will simulation be delayed then until October, i wasnt panicking :D i was just thinking that would be the most logical thing to do, so i was a bit surprised-  let me try to explain:

All previous versions had some bugs, more or less.

Some were fixed in later patches, some were left around until next major update etc... So if team is busy until October, then maybe it would be better to simply postpone everything until winter holidays, or whenever you think you will have time to do it properly and without fiddling with civil/military versions? 

Main reason from my point of view is that if you release this and then we found something problematic, it will have to wait for 3-4 months to be fixed and there will be nothing any1 can do about it. 

June is behind us, plans A and B went through the window, so lets forget about summer plan C and move on to winter release.

There will be no pressure or nagging here on forum ( hopefully ) :) , eSims will have more time to work on military project "in peace" and hopefully end it faster. Then turn full attention to 4.0 bugs and issues which couldnt be tackled in planned time span during summer. It is a win win situation.

7 minutes ago, BigBadVuk said:

June is behind us, plans A and B went through the window, so lets forget about summer plan C and move on to winter release.

There will be no pressure or nagging here on forum ( hopefully ) :) , eSims will have more time to work on military project "in peace" and hopefully end it faster. Then turn full attention to 4.0 bugs and issues which couldnt be tackled in planned time span during summer. It is a win win situation.

I agree, and this is where I think an open beta would be beneficial. Closed beta is coming to an end, open it up to the community; I bet Rotar can find at least 10 bugs in a week. It's not mandatory and players understand the risk in running two versions.

We've been through this before with 3.011 and 3.019. MP hosts just need to specify which version they plan on running. 

It buys ESim time for a full release in the winter and appeases to players who want to try the new toys immediately .

Edited by Apocalypse 31

Ok this is how I feel. Even if it is pushed back to a winter release, there will still be bugs that are found. Not every bug is going to show itself. I would say release it and the more eyes the better. When mp's or even single play goes on put up a problem post and report it.

15 hours ago, Ssnake said:

It's just that I feel that if we're charging money for it, it should meet minimum standards for overall product quality.

3 minutes ago, Skyshark said:

I would say release it and the more eyes the better

I don't understand why some of the 'release now' advocates think its OK to make people PAY to be beta testers?