High performance graphics processor causing game crash

dave1978

Hello,  i have recently returned to SB pro.  Im using the same machine i have always used in the past with no issues.  I can open the program and get to the options screen but whenever i try to start a game it crashes.  I have tried just loading the gunnery range or different maps and all the usual fixes i can think of.  If i switch the game to use the integrated graphics all is OK starts without issue.

Im using version 3.23

• Members

Please upgrade to the latest version, which is 3.027 (...well, 3.028 actually). I wouldn't know if 3.023 still contained a bug that would cause it.

The next step would be to check for graphics card drivers. Maybe there are newer ones.

• Members

Well, I don't think that that's going to make a big difference. The problem is, right now the entire team is totally swamped with the beta test and preparations for the exhibition next week, so it's really bad timing to ask for tech support. :o

So, "the game crashes" with the main graphics card, but not with the integrated graphics? That suggests that it's a problem with the main graphics card. So, maybe an OLDER driver version doesn't have the problem, that happens at times.

• Do you get an error message? (Please give us the exact text of ALL messages that appear)
  • Have you tried starting Steel Beasts in "Safe mode", and in "Debug mode"?  If so, please add the debugLog.txt file to this thread. This makes sense however ONLY if you REALLY did start SB Pro in debug mode. Note that the debug logs reach back for the last dozen times that you started SB Pro, so be sure to pick the right one (hint: debug mode log files are usually bigger than the typical file)
  • Do you have crash dump files in your user account ..\AppData\Local\CrashDumps ?  (The folder is hidden by default) Look for files named "SBPro......nnnn.dmp" where nnnn stands for a random number. These files would be of interest to us. I would kindly ask you to put them all into a ZIP or RAR file and then to send them to me by email. However, we couldn't analyze them right now, only in June or so.

On 5/9/2016 at 7:14 AM, dave1978 said:

Hello,  i have recently returned to SB pro.  Im using the same machine i have always used in the past with no issues.  I can open the program and get to the options screen but whenever i try to start a game it crashes.  I have tried just loading the gunnery range or different maps and all the usual fixes i can think of.  If i switch the game to use the integrated graphics all is OK starts without issue.

Im using version 3.23

whats graphics card are you using ?

Its the Nvidia GE force 750M.  Thanks for responses but it appears to be sorted.  I installed 3.28 and reversed driver updates back to the last time i played without the problem.  It must have been down to a driver update in past few months.

I myself have this exact issue. Cant get past the Main Menu.

Although i am entirely new user to Steel Beasts, so as soon as i installed this Game plus the recent hotfix.

I have not been able to play this at all. Although difference is i have more newer mobile card: the Nvidia GTX 970m

Edited by Kev2go

Kev2go:

Sorry, I don't have an answer for your issue. I just wanted to provide a bump and say it's a fluke that your post has been overlooked and it doesn't really represent the type of support you'll usually see from eSim. Typically you'll get a response even before the pixels have a chance to dry on your post. But, as Ssnake notes above, you've caught everyone at a rare time when attention is focused on ITEC in London and on the approaching release of a major upgrade in the software.

Hang in there, someone will be along to help sort your issue if you're still experiencing it.

And welcome to the forums.

• Members

Well, I also asked a number of questions/made suggestions how to tackle the issue, and I haven't received any meaningful feedback about it. So even if we were all operating at peak efficiency, I'm not sure what else I could write here before the questions are answered. In addition to what I wrote above, there's the option to start Steel Beasts in "debug mode" (see the Start Menu | All Programs | eSim Games | Steel Beasts Pro PE), and then to upload the log file here to this forum (per instructions in the user's manual). Also, look for crash dump files (per description in the user's manual), they can be rather helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19.5.2016 at 0:30 AM, Kev2go said:

I myself have this exact issue. Cant get past the Main Menu.

The OP stated that he was able to play once he switched to the integrated Intel GPU. Is this true for you as well?

In case you need instructions on how to select whether to run on the Intel GPU or on the nVidia GPU, here is a good guide (although it is aimed at some other app, it's still the same process for SB or any other sim):

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infraworks-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-force-your-laptop-to-Run-with-Graphics-Processor-vs-the-default-Integrated-Graphics-for-InfraWorks.html

My game was on Integrated by default when it didnt run, I switched to Nvidia Processor  simply because its more powerful and what you want to use for gaming, but it doesn't run on that either.

I checked again, switched back to integrated. 

It seems it doesnt want to run on either option , the  game goes to menu but always freezes when you try to actually get into a game.

Edited by Kev2go

Thanks.

Your debug logfiles contain one error code consistently when SB  is calling any D3D function on the GPU:

0x8876086C

The error translation for this on the D3D subsystem simply is "D3DERR_INVALIDCALL".

There are usually three possible origins for this kind of error:

1. A faulty D3D call in the program code. We have to assume that this is not the case here, because otherwise *all* SB users would get this error.
  2. Faulty/outdated graphics drivers. If you have an nVidia Optimus system, i.e. Intel + nVidia, please make sure that *both* the Intel and the nVidia drivers are up2date. If you could let us know which Windows version and which GPU driver version you use, that would be appreciated.
  3. A faulty DirectX installation *or* - in case you are a developer yourself and have installed not only the DirectX runtime, but also the DirectX SDK - using the "debug" DirectX runtimes instead of the normal ones. If you want to be on the safe side, please re-install DirectX via the latest web-installer available here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=159853

If none of these solve the issue for you, we would need to start gathering additional information about your system, e.g. with DXDiag.

graphics drivers are as up to date as they can be.

not a developer,  I dont have any direct x or graphics issues outside of this game even ones still using Dx9

Im using Windows 10 64 bit, Nvidia driver : v368.39

already ran dx diag and posted here

DxDiag.txt

Edited by Kev2go

The DxDiag output shows a BEX64 error for Steel Beasts. This usually is due to the "Data Execution Prevention" settings...

Could you check your DEP settings for SB, please (DEP should be deactivated for SB). To do so, go to the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance Options -> Data Execution Prevention. You have two general choices here, one, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only". This is the default and recommended for SB. If you prefer to use option two, "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:", please make sure that you add the SB executable (SBProPE64cm.exe) to the exception list.

As you're running Windows 10, you might also want ti try running SB "as Administrator" (via a right-click "Run as Administrator...") to check whether it makes a difference.

20 hours ago, dunc said:

The DxDiag output shows a BEX64 error for Steel Beasts. This usually is due to the "Data Execution Prevention" settings...

Could you check your DEP settings for SB, please (DEP should be deactivated for SB). To do so, go to the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance Options -> Data Execution Prevention. You have two general choices here, one, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only". This is the default and recommended for SB. If you prefer to use option two, "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:", please make sure that you add the SB executable (SBProPE64cm.exe) to the exception list.

As you're running Windows 10, you might also want ti try running SB "as Administrator" (via a right-click "Run as Administrator...") to check whether it makes a difference.

It was on option 1 by default, I tried option 2;  to to add the 64bit launcher to the exception list, but it told me 64 bit executable cannot be added to the exceptions list, so i tried the 32 bit launcher. says it can only run with dep on. ( option 1) Running the exe as an administrator did not change anything either.

Edited by Kev2go

Well... got to admit that I'm running out of ideas...

However, as Rotareneg pointed out above, another source for BEX64 errors might be any kind of "D3D interceptors". This could be anything similar to: video capture/streaming tools, frame rate overlays or similar (chat server overlays), GFX "beautifiers" like SweetFX...

Is it possible that you have anything similar to the above running in the background?

I dont  believe have any such overlays, but i closed anything that i thought could be attributed as such.  dragon gaming center which is useful because  I use it  for monitoring GPU and CPU temperature as well as fan speeds.   and MSI true colour. . It made no impact.

Should of tried this earlier, but i decided to install SB on my Desktop.  Quick test; Was able to hop into a instant action and as as well as a tank range without any issues :|

So i guess these SB BEX64  issues are only common on mobile gpus huh? 

Edited by Kev2go

4 minutes ago, Kev2go said:

So i guess these SB BEX64  issues are only common on mobile gpus huh? 

SB runs just fine on my laptop. Windows 10 64 bit, i5-3230M, Intel HD Graphics 4000, no other GPU. I know other people run it just fine on laptops with various combinations of GPUs without trouble. Some security/antivirus software apparently can cause all sorts of odd issues, you might check that too.