New maps in 4.0?

Scrapper_511

14 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

You will need to send a copy of both your scenario file and the customised map to whoever else will be playing.

So for guys like me, who have edited the terrain files - we're kinda screwed for MP - unless we can send people the terrain file.

This is why I highly recommend that eSim releases all of their default terrain files - regardless of change - so that 4.0 players have a baseline, and will not be required to share terrain files prior to MP missions. 

• Members
23 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

This is why I highly recommend that eSim releases all of their default terrain files - regardless of change - so that 4.0 players have a baseline, and will not be required to share terrain files prior to MP missions. 

What are you talking about?

Every full installer of SB Pro contains the "default terrain files". You just need to install the software.

In any case, map file handling and data management has been identified as a major issue, and is undergoing a critical review at the moment. Since changes here will have long lasting consequences we don't want to rush this. At the same time we don't want to delay the 4.0 release more than absolutely necessary. I will post more details in the coming days; I have just come back from four weeks of constant travel and the office looks like a target sector on a hand grenade training area (substitute grenade fragments with sales receipts from travel expenses, and mail that's piling up). I need to take care of this mess first.

I think (based on comments made by Beta Testers) that it will be stongly recommended that previous versions of Steel Beasts be removed before installing 4.0.

So arguably you'll remove those files as part of the uninstall before installing the new ones.

If you want to keep custom themes or maps you'll need to:

1. Copy them somewhere else (ideally I suspect renaming them too).

2. Do the uninstall of 3.028.

3. Do the install of 4.x.

4. Ensure 4.x works.

5. Copy your cutom files back (but don't be surprised if they break things / don't work).

Edited by Gibsonm

2 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I think (based on comments made by Beta Testers) that it will be stongly recommended that previous versions of Steel Beasts be removed before installing 4.0.

So arguably you'll remove those files as part of the uninstall before installing the new ones.

If you want to keep custom themes or maps you'll need to:

1. Copy them somewhere else (ideally I suspect renaming them too).

2. Do the uninstall of 3.028.

3. Do the install of 4.x.

4. Copy your cutom files back (but don't be surprised if they break things / don't work).

Good call. Add keymapper to that list too!

With the exception of one map, I could care less about the edits. I just dont want to mess with the new scenario/map setup and risk having screwed up MP sessions. 

• Members

You wouldn't have messed up network sessions. That's why we're building in all kinds of precautions, error messages to let you clearly know what's wrong, and fallback options like on the fly conversion (where possible; it's just that it's no longer automatically possible due to internal changes that are required to handle pontentially (very) large files in a performant manner).

Either way, we will have very clear instructions about how to install, and how to convert legacy files, and how to prepare network sessions with custom maps properly.