FIST - V

I think it was primarily to do with laser safety etc.

Also when the sight is erected the cupola bassically rotates 180 degress so the MG would be facing the back when the sight is in use. Lastly the Commander can't use the sight and the MG at the same time (only one set of eyes).

• 5 months later...
16 minutes ago, ChrisWerb said:

Only designated FO's can call for fire? In which case, wouldn't a FIST-V crew member automatically count as an FO?

Yes. 

Also, I'm pretty sure who can call for indirect fire is dictated by the scenario designer. I know it is usually restricted to the FO/FST so not everyone on the battlefield is calling for fire at once and clogging up the artillery, as can happen in Multiplayer. 

19 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

In SB 1.XXX, yeah.

But now when you can only have FOs call for fire I think that has fallen by the way side.

Since when?

I have the 4.006 Mission Editor in front of me and under "Options", "Support" there are two check boxes:

Who can call for fire:

1. All units (my underlining)

2. Only fire support units.

IF you select the second option, then yes only FOs can call for fire, but if the Designer selects the first box, any unit can.

5 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

Only designated FO's can call for fire? In which case, wouldn't a FIST-V crew member automatically count as an FO?

No.

As per:

3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Since when?

I have the 4.006 Mission Editor in front of me and under "Options", "Support" there are two check boxes:

Who can call for fire:

1. All units (my underlining)

2. Only fire support units.

IF you select the second option, then yes only FOs can call for fire, but if the Designer selects the first box, any unit can.

To clarify/expand:

I said/implied (not very clearly, if at all) FOs MAY be set in the mission editor to be the only ones to call for fire.

ChirsWerb took this to mean ONLY FOs can call for fire.

(which is wrong)

So to reiterate:

Before mission designers had the ability to allow ONLY FOs to call for fire. (As per the above)

FOs had their importance represented as an improved artillery call for fire response time.

(I think it was 1:50 as opposed to the "normal" 2:50)