AI engagement logic

Scrapper_511

I was just observing a BMP-2 (call it #1) during mission-test time and I saw it engage an enemy vehicle with its missile. Before #1's missile reached the target, another missile fired from another BMP destroyed the target. Surprisingly, #1 let its missile track over the destroyed target and explode into the slope beyond. I saw no other targets near it so I expected #1 to hit the target again instead of wasting it on dirt.

I guess once a target is destroyed it becomes invisible to the AI. But I was wondering, if there was another target nearby, would #1 have actually tried to engage it instead?

Also, does the AI engage targets the moment it has range or line-of-sight?

Edited by Scrapper_511
grammar

• Members

Rapid target switching sounds like a good idea, but in practice it's nearly impossible to pull it off. The guidance wire can snap off, or the missile might become unstable, or the guidance unit loses track. This would only be done if the other target was really close by (more or less literally in the same field of view).

So far "reality". In SB Pro - well, in cases like this we take the simple approach. We don't want the computer-controlled units to surprise you with stunts that humans couldn't do.

Not to start another similar thread – in recent Matsimus tutorial, I was surprised with a notion that to SB's AI, it _makes_ a difference whether a tank is skylining or not. Is that so? I always thought the AI searches for and detects targets in the slightly super-human way, regardless of the target skylining, hiding within trees, etc, etc.

• Members

Yes, at least that was a design goal which at least once worked (and I think it still does). There are a number of factors that go into the equation about the detection likelihood - movement, sound, raising dust, and among them, skylining.

• Members

I'm not sure where this is supposed to lead to. Again, I can only say that a multitude of factors come into play here, and I couldn't even name them all (since I don't code). Even if I could name all the factors I wouldn't know their interaction and relative weighting. And even if we knew all this and started debating the merits of the choices that we made, we simply might be in disagreement. So...?

20 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

What about infantry engagement logic?

Many times infantry will come face to face and there will be a long delay for engagement. 

i love when a G-wagon or a Unimog will face down a T90 instead of finding cover or running away.hope thats been addressed.

57 minutes ago, mpow66m said:

i love when a G-wagon or a Unimog will face down a T90 instead of finding cover or running away.hope thats been addressed.

Well if you have told it to "stay" that's what it will do.

Otherwise people complain that the unit doesn't do what I told it to.

"GIGO" ;)

• 1 month later...

Just finished a quick test scenario. I was controlling the TOW launcher on an M113 and as I was guiding my missile towards a T-64B, another TOW from my platoon started making its way to my target. My missile hit the T-64B first and destroyed it. The second missile continued to track the burning hull until it too struck it for good measure. Given my experience in my OP, I was pleasantly surprised. Now I'm thinking, in the scenario from my OP, the BMP that launched the second missile may have been destroyed causing its ATGM to fly way over its original target (already destroyed by another ATGM).

It was ages since i had red ball of death flying towards me because i moved to tank to tank combat in urban and close quarter wood engagements. As far as i can remember when launching vehicle is dead or disabled missile was always hitting the dirt.

You had easy way to know have you neutralized that vehicle as threat or not - if missile was flying after first hit then it was still dangerous and required more "suppression". IT would go overhead only if you manage to find some cover or ditch etc..

But you say you had completely different experience, and if this was changed then thumbs up for the added realism.