SB Pro PE as Wargame

MAXMAN

• Moderators

I love the 3D representation of infantry.. even though from the youtube videos I think the animation could use some work... are they still commanded at the squad level or can you command infantry at the platoon level now, like you can tanks?

Well, having the misfortune of spending many years as both an 11B and 19K (grunt and tanker) from being involuntarily reclassed, I have seen things from both sides of the fence, providing some nice perspective. In regards to commanding infantry at platoon level, the idea of doing so "like tank platoons" in SB is really not practical. Reason being, tanks more or less operate as a platoon formation before, during and after contact. The only time they do not is when they split into sections to cover each other.

Infantry on the hand very seldom stay in platoon formations once contact is made -- you may actually be an infantry guy and know this already -- but other than advancing to contact in nice pretty platoon formations, the platoon makes contact then the squads maneuver independently, in many cases scattering to the four winds. One squad may suppress while another advances around to flank and assault for example.

So, while it would certainly be nice to combine the squads into a platoon icons to move them around quicker in SB, I just want to say that the idea of controlling an infantry platoon in contact from a single map icon is just not practical if we are actually trying to represent real infantry tactics and not just mobs of troops walking towards each other to open fire. The practicality of controlling infantry from platoon icons would be about the same as trying to effectively control a tank company in contact from a company sized icon in SB for all the same reasons. Anyway, the point is, don't let the fact that SB doesn't let you play with platoon sized infantry icons discourage you -- as this really shouldn't be norm in the first place after the first bullet whizzes by (although it would be a nice possibility for administrative purposes). ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic