Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ssnake

SB Pro PE 4.0 Hardware Recommendations

60 posts in this topic

You know, I know it's a lot of pain porting to a new more modern engine but the sooner that gets done the sooner we'll have a better SB Pro PE that's well optimized and looks gorgeous at the same time.

Time will pass anyway. If this was done say, 4 years ago ...

I think the issue is the limited personnel that Esim has. There aren't enough people to do the porting to a new engine and support current military customers. But the longer this is deferred the more painful it will be for Esim. I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying it NEEDS to be done if SB Pro PE is to be selling well and alive in the next 10 years.

Personally, I'm not bothered much by SB Pro PE graphics. When it came out it blew everything else out of the water.

It's more a sim than a game. But Esim is compelled to improve on things and with it the graphics. The strain of an old engine is going to show sooner or later if you keep on improving the graphics. But I guess that's life so a new engine may not be optional, however painful. The alternative is a badly run game which won't appeal to new gamers.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

As far as I know.  A i5 at 3.4 Ghz, is the same thing as a i7 at 3.4 Ghz.  The only difference is that the i7 3.4 Ghz can use hyper-threading, but if the game/sim in question dosent use hyper-threading you are basicaly using the same CPU.  Iam not talking about the new gen CPU´s mind you, I have no idea how the Haswel CPU´s are working in this regard.  Also you must balance your rig, a better GPU (faster) will not benefit from a slow CPU thus the bottle-neck effect.

My understanding of the intel core architecture and naming schemes is that i5 have between 4 and 6 meg of cache, whilst the i7 have 6-8meg, as well as the hyped-thread....er hyperthreading to double numbers of cores available to the operating system.  Real life visibilty of improvements may vary.

Thats new to me. Thank you Tankenator for the info and clarification.

Care,

Red

I just installed Pro PE 4.0 on a 2011 early 17" screen Mac Book Pro...  It has an integrated Intel video processor and a 1GB Nvidia video processor.  I'm running Windows 7 on Boot Camp.  I installed a 1 TB SSD and 16GB of ram.  No problems at all with the install.  I'm using the USB key license.  With only a few hours going through the initial tutorials I probably haven't exercised the system much.  So far so good...  I naively thought hitting targets would be easier...

Thanks to every one who has contributed to this thread. It has been very useful to me, and Nils' candour about the hardware and legacy software issues was very refreshing and encouraged me to give SB a go. The fact  that SB Pro PE does NOT need a screaming 5000 buck monster system to run is one of its main attractions.

From my own experiments with 4.0.10, the single biggest FPS hit on a mid range i5, Gforce GPU, machine is shadow computation. I just turn them off except for selfie/trophy shots. All the other tweaks only seem to make a couple of FPS difference, but shadowing halves the framerate. Period.

This is not unsurprising as most games have the same issue. As I am not a programmer I cant say if the shadow calculations are to be  impoved by raw CPU power, GPU power or by coding enhancements.

Getting a decent SSD drive to run SB from is also a big time-saver, and much cheaper than the other options.

My ha'penny worth, with my thanks.

Trackpin

Hello fellow Tankers my Question is my hardware my gaming PC was built ground up. The components are AMD 8 Core fx 3.3 Ghz  16gb DDR3 650 watt corsair PSU '2TB HDD, 240GB SSD GEFORCE GTX 980 ti CMP 351 CASE WIN 10 PRO 64BIT. Hope it's enough for this game 

Posted (edited)

Took the plunge (figured I might as well get use out of the new box while waiting for the Engine update / Refresh):

Not saying this is in any way the needed / optimal / benchmark / recommended setup, but its what I've opted for:

- 1 × Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition Window Mid-Tower Case
- 1 × AB65376 Intel Core i5 6600K Quad Core LGA 1151 3.5 GHz Unlocked CPU Processor
- 1 × Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming K5 LGA 1151 ATX Gaming Motherboard
- 2 × G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Memory Red
- 1 × Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-75E1T0
- 1 × Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 650W Modular Power Supply
- 1 × Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB Video Card
- 1 × Windows 10 Professional 64-bit OEM DVD
- 1 × CoolIT Systems Eco III 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - OEM Package - No Fan

Edited by Gibsonm

Awards