Counter mobility prior to Soviet invasion

Scrapper_511

In Germany circa 1980, were there minefields or other obstacles already in place in defense of a Soviet invasion? If not already in place, which locations, if any, were already ear-marked for counter-mobility devices. Same question for vehicle fortifications; were some positions already prepared prior to an invasion?

Thanks in advance. This is research for Fulda map/missions.

im sure they were,i know NATO had ammo and vechicles stashed all over Europe for when the ballon goes up,im sure they still do,but prob not on such a large scale.it would be logical that they did.Germany had all the major bridges rdy for demo w/ demo charges stored neary by i belive.im sure some one Germany can fill you in more.

Doesn't help for Fulda but "yes" for BAOR sector.

During a short exchange trip I was briefed on primary, secondary and alternate fighting positions (with associated ammunition caches).

There we are also numerous dummy positions so that the effect of Soviet air/artillery would be at least be diluted to an extent (we assumed that they had the grids too). :)

• Members

There were many, many things in place. For example, "manhole" covers on drillings for the placement of demolition charges on selected roads (like, on steep slopes), with the demolition materials within a few hundred meters in hidden caches. The Mittellandkanal, connecting the river Rhine with the river Elbe west to east, had "plugs" to pull to flood terrain on either side as a quick countermobility option.

Actual minefields?

Not that I ever heard of it. However, the Bundeswehr had the by far biggest capacity to lay anti-tank mine obstacles in the entirety of NATO (a total of, if memory serves me, around 6,000km length (at 100m depth, average mine density; for comparison, the next largest capacity was 1,400km, rapidly shrinking to maybe 150km on average). Dispensing vehicles like Skorpion/Volcano, rocket artillery, cluster munitions dispensers like the Tornado's MW-1, and of course hand-laying, and trucks with pulled (mine-laying) plow (MiV 85).

Thanks for the feedback, folks. As far as minefields go, I guess they're to be constructed as the tactical picture evolves.

The dummy positions Gibsonm mentioned would make a nice target to waste Soviet arty on. Red will always have arty, but I don't always want Blue to be plastered by them. Not so fun to play. Thanks for the scenario idea.