What's up with wheeled vehicle speeds?

I've noticed that the wheeled vehicles in SB feel really slow, even slower than most tracked MBTs. I did a quick test run to confirm my suspicions, and it seems I was right. The test drive took place on a road, starting with a slight uphill followed by a gentle downwards slope. Looks like wheeled vehicles really are a lot slower than tracked ones. This doesn't make much sense to me, as Centauro has a listed top road speed of 106 km/h, while the Aslav has 120 km/h. This lack of mobility sort of beats the point of taking a wheeled vehicle in the first place - you'll just be better off in a MBT in every scenario. Am I missing something here or is there an issue with the engine models in SB?

Test results below, I listed the top speed of each vehicle during both path segments.

Leo2a5: uphill 55 km/h, downhill 71 km/h

M1a2: uphill 50 km/h, downhill 66 km/h

Centauro: uphill 45 km/h, downhill 58 km/h

Aslav-25: uphill 45 km/h, downhill 57 km/h

4 hours ago, jtyotJOTJIPAEFVJ said:

I've noticed that the wheeled vehicles in SB feel really slow, even slower than most tracked MBTs. I did a quick test run to confirm my suspicions, and it seems I was right. The test drive took place on a road, starting with a slight uphill followed by a gentle downwards slope. Looks like wheeled vehicles really are a lot slower than tracked ones. This doesn't make much sense to me, as Centauro has a listed top road speed of 106 km/h, while the Aslav has 120 km/h. This lack of mobility sort of beats the point of taking a wheeled vehicle in the first place - you'll just be better off in a MBT in every scenario. Am I missing something here or is there an issue with the engine models in SB?

Test results below, I listed the top speed of each vehicle during both path segments.

Leo2a5: uphill 55 km/h, downhill 71 km/h

M1a2: uphill 50 km/h, downhill 66 km/h

Centauro: uphill 45 km/h, downhill 58 km/h

Aslav-25: uphill 45 km/h, downhill 57 km/h

wheeled vehicles are only faster on Roads.

tracked vehicles, with modern engines offer better mobility in off road terrain however, and in fact are better suited for offroad cross country.

anyways here is a study conducted of Military wheeled vehicles vs tracked vehicles.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/2wheels98.pdf

Edited by Kev2go

39 minutes ago, Kev2go said:

wheeled vehicles are only faster on Roads.

tracked vehicles, with modern engines offer better mobility in off road terrain however, and in fact are better suited for offroad cross country.

anyways here is a study conducted of Military wheeled vehicles vs tracked vehicles.

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/2wheels98.pdf

Um... he mentioned that he did this test on a road...

"The test drive took place on a road..."

However, what type of road was not mentioned.

Edited by Azure Lion

Yeah, he said it was a road.

I ran a quick little test on some relatively flat highway and reached 110 kph in the ASLAV before I hit a house on a curve. That is using the joystick as an accelerator. Using the W key (which is not an accelerator but rather pre-set slow, fast and top speed settings) tops out at about 54 kph.

There is, I believe, a reason for that, but I don't recall it just now -- something about avoiding bumper cars in mixed convoys, I think. Everyone's "top speed" needs to be the same in a convoy.

If you're jonesin' to play Carl Edwards, use a joystick. 

If you want to see something odd, take a look at this:

Oj79rRn.png

With the 1.2t Technical-T, HMG, the terrain hardness has a strange effect on the vehicle speed, with a hardness of 0.90 being faster than 1.00, and driving on rolling ground being faster than level ground most of the time. Use trigger 1 to start the vehicles in the attached scenario, or manually drive them.

terrain-road_test.7z

• 2 weeks later...