Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lavictoireestlavie

Everything Leclerc

271 posts in this topic
18 hours ago, lavictoireestlavie said:

I think there is a relatively high probability that a penetrating hit into the autoloader from the fighting compartment will most likely cause the ammunition contained in the autoloader to go up in flames totally destroying the fighting compartment and killing the crew in the process. Once a projectile or jet penetrates the mantlet and composite-trunion block there is not much in the way besides the breech block, gun mechanism and M2 HMG. Even if the autoloader does not get penetrated a penetration through the mantlet would still result in  the main gun getting wrecked and either the gunner or commander to be injured/incapacitated.

No compartmentalization?

F**K fighting in that thing then....

You French guys get up to some weird shit when it comes to designing vehicles.....

"Logic?

Oh non non non, ve are French, we don't do logic."

It isn't a question of logic but one of risk assessment and associated engineering trade-offs. Maybe the compartmentalization would have caused other problems. In the end, a hit straight down the barrel is a problem for every tank, no matter what. You want to propel a projectile from the inside out? You need a hole in the wall. And in tanking holes work both ways.

4 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

It isn't a question of logic but one of risk assessment and associated engineering trade-offs. Maybe the compartmentalization would have caused other problems. In the end, a hit straight down the barrel is a problem for every tank, no matter what. You want to propel a projectile from the inside out? You need a hole in the wall. And in tanking holes work both ways.

I get that.

It feels like the Mantlet on the LeClerc is analogous to the exhaust vent on the death star.

Or the driver's peri on the CR2.

But I guess you've built it now, so......

Look like the turret was designed by separate offices (one for the cmdr's spot, one for the gunner's spot and then 2 each for the autoloader and gun areas) and then gaffa/duct taped together for the prototype.

That hyperbar engine sounds like a cool concept though.

4 hours ago, Retro said:

Well we could just force him into the hatch at all times..

Right, but that was not the suggestion - and it would only cause more complaints, I am sure. ;)

6 hours ago, Froggy said:

It was just I had not time to explain.

On each side, there is 4 tubes for fum (the 4 facing 0 to 80°) and 3 tube for HE (facing 100 to 180°).

The 8 fum are lauch as a unique salvo (one push in the button, and the 8 tubes fire simultaneously).

The 3 right HE fire simultaneously pushing the HE selector on the right.

The 3 left HE fire simultaneously,  pushing the HE selector on the left.

OK, thanks! That helps, and should be easy to do.

6 hours ago, lavictoireestlavie said:

Ugh, i was creating a diagram for that when i saw your post just now xD

Thanks for the diagram too. :)

49 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

It feels like the Mantlet on the LeClerc is analogous to the exhaust vent on the death star.

Or the driver's peri on the CR2.

But I guess you've built it now, so......

Look like the turret was designed by separate offices (one for the cmdr's spot, one for the gunner's spot and then 2 each for the autoloader and gun areas) and then gaffa/duct taped together for the prototype...

LOOOOOOOLxD    ....:o......:(siiigh...

Edited by lavictoireestlavie

Grenade situation should be fixed for the next update, of course we can't easily make the HE grenades fire over the rear though, so for now they will fire over the front (or we could just remove them I guess).

The total volume comes to 1,34 m3. Given the desnity of steel (~8 ton/m3) and tungsten (~22 ton/m3) the weight comes down to 10,7 and  29,5 metric tons respectively. With a total weight of 56,5 metric tons  of the Leclerc S2 it is save to say that the modules are not made of pure tungsten. Any feedback would be appreciated:

Leclerc_armor_module_volume.jpg

Polyureathane and Sintered ceramics are pretty common.

Ceramics tend to be Silicon Carbide, Aluminium Carbide, Tungsten Carbide or Boron Carbide.

And i would hypothesize that there's a layer of armoured steel backstopping all that.

The finer points vary (And are generally classified/restricted) but typically composite armour looks something like this:

https://www.google.com/patents/US7866248

7 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Polyureathane and Sintered ceramics are pretty common.

Ceramics tend to be Silicon Carbide, Aluminium Carbide, Tungsten Carbide or Boron Carbide.

And i would hypothesize that there's a layer of armoured steel backstopping all that.

The finer points vary (And are generally classified/restricted) but typically composite armour looks something like this:

https://www.google.com/patents/US7866248

Thank you! That is very insightful. I guess similar methods are used to break/shatter typical apfsds rounds.

Suspicious damage and deaths through 195 mm DM63 (530 mm pen.) and 120 mm DM23 (520 mm pen.) from within 1km and one unusual KEW-A2 kill (700 mm pen.)

SS_22_13_20.jpg

SS_22_12_42.jpg

SS_22_12_27.jpg

SS_21_58_15.jpg

SS_21_58_05.jpg

SS_20_54_11.jpg

SS_20_54_05.jpg

3 minutes ago, lavictoireestlavie said:

Suspicious damage and deaths through 195 mm DM63 (530 mm pen.) and 120 mm DM23 (520 mm pen.) from within 1km and one unusual KEW-A2 kill (700 mm pen.)

SS_22_13_20.jpg

SS_22_12_42.jpg

SS_22_12_27.jpg

SS_21_58_15.jpg

SS_21_58_05.jpg

SS_20_54_11.jpg

SS_20_54_05.jpg

this has been fixed for the next version already.

Awards