Vehicle speed

haraldhe

I,m not an expert or experienced militarist, but I feel that the top speed of vehicles in game are not related to each other. Example: Should the Centauro and other light infantry vehicles not be much faster then a M60, or other main battle tanks? o.O

58 minutes ago, haraldhe said:

I,m not an expert or experienced militarist, but I feel that the top speed of vehicles in game are not related to each other. Example: Should the Centauro and other light infantry vehicles not be much faster then a M60, or other main battle tanks? o.O

Yes, when driving flat out on a road. Not when performing an administrative march in column with mixed vehicles, not necessarily when on soft ground or in dense vegetation.

If you set the appropriate movement orders most of the wheeled vehicles will drive at 80-120 kph on roads...
However do note that some MBT can achieve high 70s/low 80s... and they will perform relatively better in poor going too.

In march orders *everything* moves at 20 kph/30kph/50kph regardless of it's maximum potential though.

2 hours ago, haraldhe said:

Infantyr fighting vehicles usually are required to "keep up with the tanks", there are rarely faster. Esp. when beeing uparmoured. 36 tons on a 600hp engine(for the Marder) don't make a racecar.

Wheeled vehicles are not necesaarily faster. Off road they sometimes have worse mobility. In steelbeasts the groundtypes are modelled via their bumpiness, softness and drag(resistance to movement). So on harsh terrain, wheeled vehicles go slower the tacked, or even can't go at all.

The point of a vehicle like the Centauro is that it is able to do long roadmarches which little need for fuel and maintenance at the end. Which is not the case fo a tank.

Also the endurance of it is bigger. While tanks  can go for a day maybe 2 without resupply, wheeled recon vehicles like the Centauro can do for roughly 5 day and more, giving them huge flexibility and tactical mobility.