ATGMs are scary now...

Maj.Hans

This really changes things.  I realize that in some legacy scenarios I had inflated numbers of ATGM launching vehicles and ATGM infantry teams.  They were high profile targets, with a pretty big launch signature.  I used to be able to spot the glowing ball of death, find the launching vehicle, and engage it rather than going defensive.

Now if I see a BMP stopped and squared up to me for no apparent reason, I pop smoke and reverse immediately.

When I do spot missiles, they're usually so close that I'm already in "scream like a girl while you pop smoke and slam the hatch" mode.

Edited by Maj.Hans

22 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I've only witnessed TOW missiles in real life, but I can tell you that the launch signature is fairly insignificant. 

There is no 'red ball of death', and missiles are fairly difficult to spot mid-flight. 

I've never been on the receiving end of a TOW or MILAN, so I can't comment on that(thank god).  But I've seen them in flanking fire at targets in front of our BPs.

And even then they are almost invisible. The engine in burned our a few seconds after lauch. No flaming tail, no smoketrail as they glide to the traget...

• Moderators

I remember, two weeks ago perhaps... TGIF game where I think Cupcake fired a TOW from his HMMWV, I saw the launch signature, but could not locate the missile. I thought he fired at someone else, but then about three seconds before impact... "what's that black thing?" OH NOES, reverse!!! (explosion, death, fire etc).

Good times. :P

Speaking of which, computer TCs can often be quite adept at spotting the launch; if there were several tanks lined up and you fire a missile at one of them, the one that's being fired at knows it virtually immediately, the hatch goes down the same moment the button is pressed without delay and the tank may turn to face very quickly. The effect looks like pressing the button is wired to close the hatch on the enemy tank like a switch.
On the other hand, if the computer TC is in the player's vehicle and spots a launch, you tend to know this because you hear the hatch close all of a sudden- but that's it; the TC doesn't give cues like a verbal warning, perhaps a short verbal cue like when it spots enemy vehicles: "missile, left", which I realize would also be a problem with multiple launches coming at the player. Probably not an easy solution.

Edited by Captain_Colossus

6 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

before there was time to do something...  now... when you see it... you have only enough time to figure that "Oh shit"    like in video Lusik posted. 

Or if its a Dragon then you get to ask "what is that dildo shaped thing waving at me... oh shit its a missile!"

There are many videos on YOUTUBE of tanks (and other types of targets) getting hit by ATGMs in Syria, mostly from the ATGM operator's point of view. It seems that in most cases the vehicle's crew is surprised by the hit and doesn't know where did it come from.

Rarely they do notice the missile, and even more rarely they manage to escape like this lucky T-55 crew:

Edited by Iarmor

Wow...The Soviet system looks like a fireworks display at least from the launcher's perspective...

As for all the surprise impacts, I'm thinking that the Syrian tank crews tend to maintain less awareness than western tank crews, for various reasons.