Could this help attract new players to SB Pro PE

[]_--__[]KITT

Considering that that arcade World of Tanks is doing great with people at least spending hundreds of dollars, there are probably quite a few of those players would try a more simulator approach to tank gaming.

This being said, at the present to enjoy SB Pro PE online there seems to be a requirement of being able to enter a close-knit community of veterans and the number of players playing the game online is pretty restricted. But if the game were to be made more online friendly, with online lobby I and more preset/default co-op and PvP scenarios there might be a real chance to attract some of those WoT players into buying SB Pro PE.

I know the majority of people may prefer arcade gaming but War Thunder is successful in implementing more realistic ballistic approach to tank protection.

If online is made more user friendly I'm sure more people will flock to this game.

I just wished more people would play this game. It's really niche at the moment. Even more niche than say 'Rise of Flight' back then when it was not on Steam platform.

I'll get 4.0 before the end of the year or I may cave in and buy this weekend :D

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

War Thunder is successful in implementing more realistic ballistic approach to tank protection. 9_99_9

a requirement of being able to enter a close-knit community of veterans and the number of players playing the game online is pretty restricted

Really?

I have never heard that comment here, or any other sites that review SB Pro. Care to elaborate?

I

4 hours ago, []_--__[]KITT said:

This being said, at the present to enjoy SB Pro PE online there seems to be a requirement of being able to enter a close-knit community of veterans and the number of players playing the game online is pretty restricted. But if the game were to be made more online friendly, with online lobby I and more preset/default co-op and PvP scenarios there might be a real chance to attract some of those WoT players into buying SB Pro PE.

Don't know, if it is perceived that you need to "join an exclusive club", then we as community/as VU's are making a bad impression :-(....

Because this is not the case in any way.  All events and games I know of are open to all backrounds and skilllevels. Its just that you usually get placed in the mission according to your skilllevel.

The thing that is a requirement, is the willingness and basic ability for some social interaction: Saying hello, cooperating and communictating wiht your team, be on time for the game etc etc

In my point of view this also is important for the CORE TRADEMARK of SB-multiplayer: Team work and a Team experience. People jumping into automaticly started games, talking to no one and just shooting up stuff? Thats just not gonna fly with online sessions. But hey, there is the "Instant action" scenario for that :P

Edited by Grenny

23 minutes ago, Grenny said:

I

Don't know, if it is perceived that you need to "join an exclusive club", then we as community/as VU's are making a bad impression :-(....

Because this is not the case in any way.  All events and games I know of are open to all backrounds and skilllevels. Its just that you usually get placed in the mission according to your skilllevel.

The thing that is a requirement, is the willingness and basic ability for some social interaction: Saying hello, cooperating and communictating wiht your team, be on time for the game etc etc

In my point of view this also is important for the CORE TRADEMARK of SB-multiplayer: Team work and a Team experience. People jumping into automaticly started games, talking to no one and just shooting up stuff? Thats just not gonna fly with online sessions. But hey, there is the "Instant action" scenario for that :P

Well, there's just a small community of players that play SB Pro PE online. Sure, team coordination and communication are great to have in games such as SB Pro PE but without more user friendly online experience that includes a lobby, online is going to be pretty restricted and small. 

I personally do not mind as I play mostly single player anyway for games like SB Pro PE but to attract more players, changes to how online game is setup may need to be done.

If people blew hundreds of dollars for pathetically rudimentary game as World of Tanks many of them would invest in SB Pro PE once they know they can get a reliable and easy online experience. There's always the option to go full voice communication and coordination like usual. It would be great if all online sessions are to be done this way but that's not going to attract more players seeking instant game gratification like a 30 min battle with minimum care. Due to the small pool of players playing online, SB Pro PE doesn't really offer the benefit of online gaming to the majority of those wanting a more simulation approach to tank warfare. Unless the process is made easier.

Anyway just my 2 cents. I personally play the game for its single player experience.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

There is a lobby in SB...but games need to be set up by players, as the are no permanent servers. The system in World of tank and the like with simple small PvP Pv"AI" games is so far away from combined arms warefare, getting SB there would make it just another "WoT" with better vehicle models. Another point is, that this would need a HUGE investment on server infrastructure and personel to operate it. Can't see a company doing that whos employment number has one digit.

Esim would have to grow more then tenfold and take in capital(credits)...this is a high risk and would hurt their current core business as the military likes reliable long time support.

to sum up the choice for Esim: abandon your currently working business for the vague hope of becoming the next WoT

I think we have a nice and properly dimensioned comunity. I recall sometimes playing almost 40 players in a  Long Night of Tanks of some of the major multiplayer events.

The people here are in a majority mature, knowledgeable on the armour subject, motivated and educated.

This is a complex simulator, new guys are often fustrated when they start playing SB because they maybe heroes playing Waste of Time or similars and here they do not survive 5 minutes on the battlefield.

This sim required a more "mature" approach than the actual mainstream "military games". You have to train, you have to study, you have to learn the hard way.

This is not a private club. Anyone willing can join but most of the youngsters prefer games like "Plug and shoot" or even better "plug and Boom" :P

I like our actual comunity this way. Quality over quantity. B|

Anyway doors are open and anyone that shows up is helped and welcomed.

58 minutes ago, Grenny said:

There is a lobby in SB...but games need to be set up by players, as the are no permanent servers. The system in World of tank and the like with simple small PvP Pv"AI" games is so far away from combined arms warefare, getting SB there would make it just another "WoT" with better vehicle models. Another point is, that this would need a HUGE investment on server infrastructure and personel to operate it. Can't see a company doing that whos employment number has one digit.

Esim would have to grow more then tenfold and take in capital(credits)...this is a high risk and would hurt their current core business as the military likes reliable long time support.

to sum up the choice for Esim: abandon your currently working business for the vague hope of becoming the next WoT

There's a lobby now? last I checked there wasn't. The server only needs to host the lobby for people to show up, select, join and start a battle.

The sessions themselves should be run on a chosen host's PC. 

Shouldn't be too expensive.

I was thinking to let T-55, Leopard 1, and M60 be freely available to be played without any license whatsoever. This might entice would-be buyers to try out the game and eventually buy it. They can play offline and online but with the limited selection of tanks and IFVs.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

So your idea would be that of a "demo game server" ?  Sure, that would attract player to do a tryout.

Weather its economical feasable is for esim to decide. I mean: a seperate software line to offer the demo. ( AFAIK SB software is not very "modular") And still you need to pay the server and someone to maintain it.  

8 minutes ago, Grenny said:

So your idea would be that of a "demo game server" ?  Sure, that would attract player to do a tryout.

Weather its economical feasable is for esim to decide. I mean: a seperate software line to offer the demo. ( AFAIK SB software is not very "modular") And still you need to pay the server and someone to maintain it.  

I mean the lobby is for all. I'm saying Esim should let people play couple vehicles for absolutely no cost.

I got into "Rise of Flight' just because of this strategy. Without the opportunity to try some aircraft for free, I wouldn't have bought anything from them.

7 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Well, there is a lobby on our TeamSpeak server. It even has a subcategory, "looking for a game".

Yes but that's a second party software. I mean lobby from the game menu.

Just my 2 cents anyway. I thought Esim would benefit from more exposure and a friendlier way to meet up and setup online games. Such a shame WoT got so popular with its mindless matches that don't make much sense...

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

Don't know if these things would be possible without redoing 90% of SB's code.

In the meantime what we can do us beeing as friendly as possible.

@KITT once(if?) you get into SB, hope you enjoy it. Even as single player it has a lot to offer. MP is where it really shines...

1 hour ago, Grenny said:

Don't know if these things would be possible without redoing 90% of SB's code.

In the meantime what we can do us beeing as friendly as possible.

@KITT once(if?) you get into SB, hope you enjoy it. Even as single player it has a lot to offer. MP is where it really shines...

The thing is I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, so the timing to join online games with you guys will be slim.

I tried playing Dangerous Waters online which is also a difficult game to play online. It was with Italian group (mainly Italian) and I had to wake up at odd hours LOL. I quit after a few sessions. It was a lot of fun but the hours LOL. 

I have SB Pro PE 2.654. Will upgrade to 4 before year's end.

1 hour ago, Bond_Villian said:

KITT, in case you havent seen this; http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Current_events 

Check out the timings of 'TGIF' and possibly also the 'BG ANZAC' VU.

Thanks. That will be helpful but I wished there was an inbuilt lobby to meet and select missions still. 

ArmA 3 is great because of it. Still not an easy infantry simulator but it makes playing with others so much easier. It helps match you to the right servers any time of the day.

Edited by []_--__[]KITT

On 8/25/2016 at 2:38 AM, Furia said:

I think we have a nice and properly dimensioned comunity. I recall sometimes playing almost 40 players in a  Long Night of Tanks of some of the major multiplayer events.

The people here are in a majority mature, knowledgeable on the armour subject, motivated and educated.

This is a complex simulator, new guys are often fustrated when they start playing SB because they maybe heroes playing Waste of Time or similars and here they do not survive 5 minutes on the battlefield.

This sim required a more "mature" approach than the actual mainstream "military games". You have to train, you have to study, you have to learn the hard way.

This is not a private club. Anyone willing can join but most of the youngsters prefer games like "Plug and shoot" or even better "plug and Boom" :P

I like our actual comunity this way. Quality over quantity. B|

Anyway doors are open and anyone that shows up is helped and welcomed.

Very, very well said and very, very TRUE!

In my opinion, I hope most of the people of WoT don´t ever come to SB.  Why? Most of them are kids with no respect at all, and just go in there to blast things up, and/or insult each other when you don´t play as they do, or you are trying to go up in TIER and your tank is not upgraded yet so you are in disadvantage while going up the TIER latter.  I play alot of Armored Warfare, but I take it as it is, a shooter to blow off stress.  You have a coffe after lunch while you get into a PVE or PVP game, play 20-40mins. blast guys out and that´s it, theres no more too it.  That´s what it was made for.

On the other hand, saying your not up to standadrs or elite enough to play SB is a bit disrespectful.  Nobody is born with knowledge, and nobody is the same, or you simple don´t have enough time to dedicate it to certain things beacuse people have real lives to live too.  I agree you must take the time to learn the basics of the sim in question, but also there are things that you just don´t understand at first, or you are scared to even ask beacuse everybody is so "elite", or at least they think so., so you try not to feel like a fool even before asking.  All in all it´s a bit demanding or stuck-up to even think that.  So either you´r a pro or stay way from SB and our closed community, is that it?  It might be good for the elite, but not for eSim I would think, and it´s not very mature either.  It´s like we need a psychological profile from you before we even play with you, but this can also work both ways as someone may feel "used" beacuse they are good at something.  Or we will play with you while someone better comes along.  Been there before guys and that´s not cool at all.  I personaly stay away from ego-trips, it´s simply not healthy, and you should be mature enough to know there will always be someone better then you somewhere!  But then again each one to its own.  If you get paid for this as in the Army it´s a different story, but this is not the case.  Yeah we will help you, but comments like this put´s you off right off the bat in my opinion.

As in music, you have two options, play with the best and let them do there thing, or play with amatures and teach them what they have to do.  I personaly try not to ask alot of question beacuse I like to find my way out of things and don´t like to be taken by the hand, but as I said before not everybody is the same, and it´s not healthy to think "or you´r with me, or your against me", we all know where that comes from.

I still remember my "Falcon 4" years.  If it wasent for a couple of guys that took the time to show the rest of the wing new stuff that we didn´t know, some of us would still be making mistakes.  The same goes for Dangerous Waters, there was some of the things on the manual that people just didn´t understand, or they explained it on the manual for people that already knew something about sonar.  Which brings me to the Idea that it wouldent be a bad Idea to have online crash courses for those how are having trouble understanding things, and that would also help in having everybody at a same basic level, regardles of the tutorials in SB it´s self.  A closed atitude only brings to a closed group which in the end ends up in playing with the same people.  These people will eventualy grow older, past away or drift off somewhere which reduces the future of eSim, so food for though...

IMO,There is some merit in some of []_--__[]KITT comments

There does seem to be a perception that the SB community can be elitist.

I have corresponded with people on this issue on other forums.

With out picking at old scabs there was a hate campaign levied at this community and Ssnake by a few individuals.

One I know for sure was thrown out of the SB community.

Unfortunately mud sticks. but thankfully there campaign seems to have ceased. 

I have devoted a lot of time to promoting SB over on the Sim hq forum,

As do others from this forum there's interest in the sim just look at the amount of Views the post promoting SB gets.

Also guys like matsimus have done a great job making videos that the average lay- person can understand what's going on.

Not meant as a criticism but some videos although showing how good SB is, and how professionally its played.

Are literally to professional if you have no military background you would not have a clue what's going on.

Which may in turn make perspective players thing MP play is to high end for them.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Edited by Marko

If someone wants to play SB , he WILL GET HELPED. I've never ever seen an instance where a player got denied game entry because "he's not good enough". The only thing the host will look out for, is that he is not posted  in a job thats above his head (like platoon leader), because said player will likely be busy with sorting out his control over the vehicle he uses.

So at @RED2112; do not misunderstand Furia's statements that "The people here are in a majority mature, knowledgeable on the armour subject, motivated and educated."  for "everyone here is...and you are required to be too".

I have to respectfully disagree with Furia's statement (and other similar ones above) as well.  IMO, the SB community is "elitist" only in the sense that arcade-game mentality is frowned upon.  It has nothing to do with skill level.  I have yet to see any SB virtual unit (or other organized gameplay) that would turn someone away because of skill level.  At most, they would insist that the newbie at least familiarize themselves with the simulation basics by completing a set of tutorials for a vehicle.  As someone who organized a VU for a while, I would have been happy to accept inexperienced players.  My only requirement was that they have a desire for realistic gameplay and a willingness to learn.

I don't play WoT or AW and I don't visit those forums with any frequency, so I can't claim to understand those communities' gameplay "hopes and dreams" or their perception of SB in particular.  I would have assumed that there are a lot of hardware "nuts" over there who, having experienced (IMO) the inanity of WoT and AW, would have yearned for something a bit heavier.  I suspect that ultimately what turns them off about SB is its dated graphics, followed by the high initial cost.

Naive as I may be, I still have hope that there is a significant fraction of the WoT/AW crown that could be enticed over to SB.  Again, not being a regular on their forums, I don't know what (if anything) they say about SB.  Do they watch any of the now-numerous SB gameplay videos on YouTube?  That would seem an obvious recruiting tool. 

Just to clarify in my previous post I stated there seems to be a perception SB MP is elitist

Yes the perception is there  due to some bad press. 

But I do not agree with this perception,

I am a point in case, no military experience what so ever but have gained a lot of knowleague from this forum

And attending MP events.

I also make a point of telling fellow MilSimers on other forums all are welcome regardless of experience to the SB forum and All Virtual units.

Edited by Marko

6 hours ago, Marko said:

There does seem to be a perception that the SB community can be elitist.

Well, sometimes we have to remind ourselves why the price of admission is as high as it is. I think it's supposed to weed out console-gamer types that would come in and just end up perpetuating the wish-list thread or post endlessly about what SB doesn't have. Whether it's called elitist or business management, it is what it is.

But I get it, more publicity and more players equals more income to develop SB into a mil-spec simulator with WoT graphics and inventory, all rolled up into one.

1 hour ago, Marko said:

Just to clarify in my previous post I stated there seems to be a perception SB MP is elitist

Yes the perception is there  due to some bad press. 

The perception is there because some people are naive and foolish enough to believe horseshit.  We see examples of this every day in things other than gaming.  There is nothing the SBPE community can do about this except welcome those who want to join and play and encourage them to ask questions, learn about the game (simulation) and have fun doing it.  The rest is up to the prospective player.