Other games you play at the moment

[]_--__[]KITT

56 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

Regarding Dangerous Waters and it´s mod, what I don´t like about the mod is that there´s no limit to sonar. I wrote up on this sometime ago over at Subguru when I found out about the mod asking them about sonar and torp limit with the mod.  With Jane´s 688i H/K there is a limit to both, of course the longer you have sonar on, the more it can reach just like real life, but not so in DW there´s not limit there, which makes multiplayer "knife fights" to easy!

Was playing DW years ago (I might even have the cd's somewhere... beside 688i & Sub Command), but wasn't aware of that "sonar-issue"...?!

That´s why I pref. Fleet Command.

Oh Fleet Command... that brings back so much memories. I should have the original cd somewhere. Does it still run on modern computers? 

Why can't someone develop such games like these today? Or ist there just no market for such sims, not even a niche one... Am I really that old? O.o

Dennis

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Canadus said:

Was playing DW years ago (I might even have the cd's somewhere... beside 688i & Sub Command), but wasn't aware of that "sonar-issue"...?!

Oh Fleet Command... that brings back so much memories. I should have the original cd somewhere. Does it still run on modern computers? 

Why can't someone develop such games like these today? Or ist there just no market for such sims, not even a niche one... Am I really that old? O.o

Dennis

The sonar issue is "if" you use the mod.  Without the mod DW is the same as Sub Command but with all the extra goddies.  Unfortunatly they all have there bugs.

Regarding Sub Command and Fleet Command working on modern comps.  They work now with the Steam edition!  Minor fixes that you can do (see Steam´s user forums) Fleet Command even works with the NWP mod ;)

Yes we are old now xD

On 9/9/2016 at 5:50 AM, Canadus said:

DW does a good, if basic job of modeling passive sonar.

The active system is all screwed up though.

Some games that I am playing right now:

Steel Beasts Pro PE

Command Modern Air/Naval Operations - very fun. Pretty easy to start playing, but much harder to master. Highly recommended if you can get it on sale.

SAM Simulator (occasionally, have to keep current on operating the SA-2F :) )

Star Citizen (my most recent addiction)

Kerbal Space Program (occasionally)

Warhammer 40K: Armageddon

Edited by Mirzayev

Apart from SB, the only game I play with any regularity is Insurgency.  In the not-too-distant past, I've played Flashpoint: Red Storm and Steam & Iron.  I've had my eye on Command: Modern Air-Naval Combat for a while, and it's only a matter of time before I pull the trigger.

Playing now or in near future:

SBPE

Arma 3 (play using High Command feature)

Scourge of War (Waterloo Editions)

DCS World

IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad (only the aircraft)

Command Modern Air/Naval Operations

Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm

Used to Play:

Combat Mission Series from Battlefront

X-Plane 10

Gary Grigby's War in the East

Many John Tiller Games (Kurst 43 for example)

War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition

Decisive Campaigns Case Blue

Alea Jacta Est

Achtung Panzer Operation Star

7 hours ago, MDF said:

I've had my eye on Command: Modern Air-Naval Combat for a while, and it's only a matter of time before I pull the trigger.

Same here... I'm on the constant lookout for Command getting a reduced price tag. Flashpoint Campaigns is also on my list. 

For the moment I'm investing most of my "PC-time" into getting better at mastering SB; alot of reading PDFs about controls, gameplay, tactics, amoured & infantery warfare, etc... 

After some years out of the "warfare business", it's really so much fun getting used to it again. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I remember that guy.

I have been tempted to ask you if you wear the same person 9_9

But yes, had the pleasure of playing some knife fights with him with 688i (one of the hardest to beat) and speaking with him in sunday morning meetings we had over at the Seawolves. Very nice man, like most Admirals there.  I was known as LCDR Deep2112 CO (AW), LT Deep2112 XO (SW) and CLP Deep2112.

Edited by Red2112

Currently:

Steel Beasts - armor

DCS - Combined armor/air

ArmA - Combined armor, infantry, air

Hopefully Steel Beasts will continue to develop their infantry so that I can remove ArmA from my list. ArmA does everything, but nothing particularly well.

15 hours ago, enigma6584 said:

Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm

FCRS is interesting, and I think it has a lot of potential. However, its also extremely ugly and based of primitive software. I'm not asking for something that looks beautiful, but it needs some eye candy. It doesn't even have dynamic zoom...

Edited by Apocalypse 31

6 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

FCRS is interesting, and I think it has a lot of potential. However, its also extremely ugly and based of primitive software. I'm not asking for something that looks beautiful, but it needs some eye candy. It doesn't even have dynamic zoom...

Well it is in an old or traditional game format but I wouldn't call it ugly or primitive.  They have redone the unit chits and the map terrains have gotten a make-over which is quite beautiful.  It reminds me (affectionately) of the times I used to play the old Avalon Hill board-games.  I personally think it is one of the best games out there simulating command and control aspect of warfare.  I am always on the edge of my seat when a my turn and the AI or my opponent's turn is playing out in real-time.

22 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Currently:

SB Pro

SB Pro PE

WarSIM

JSAF

OneSAF

JCATS

LOTS

If you can say, what's your opinion of WarSim (I assume you mean Lockheed Martin's Warfighters Simulation) and OneSAF?  I've done a bit of reading on both of these over the years in furtherance of my own simulation design efforts.

Edited by MDF

3 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I thought FCRS was adequate-looking (there's a nice map mod).  Where it falls (way) short for me is in the unit tasking model, especially defensive taskings that bear virtually no relationship to the real world.  Also, the ballyhooed OODA loop doesn't make sense when you personally have to control multiple echelons of command.  Sure, a division or brigade might have a 3-hour OODA cycle, but companies and platoons don't.  Anyway, I've shelved FCRS for the time being but definitely am looking forward to the "Southern Storm" expansion (or module, or whatever).

Just now, MDF said:

Also, the ballyhooed OODA loop doesn't make sense when you personally have to control multiple echelons of command.  Sure, a division or brigade might have a 3-hour OODA cycle, but companies and platoons don't.  Anyway, I've shelved FCRS for the time being

I also agree here. Managing EVERY platoon for an entire Regiment or Brigade was entirely too time consuming.

I also thought the orders delay was incredibly unrealistic - performed at the platoon level - since you cant technically give anything above a platoon an 'order' . 

in terms of graphics - i hate how the chits move across the map in a staggered way. this game would look beautiful in 3d - perhaps along the lines of CIV 5 or Order of Battle.

5 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I also thought the orders delay was incredibly unrealistic - performed at the platoon level - since you cant technically give anything above a platoon an 'order' .

Exactly.  A division might only be able to issue an order to its brigades every, say, three hours, but the brigade has a shorter OODA cycle, and should be able to issue commands to its battalions more frequently, and so on down to platoon-level.  Rather than forcing you to issue orders to your platoons but at the (slow) pace of the division's OODA cycle, the game should let you give orders to your brigades, which then (via AI) develop and issue orders to their battalions, and so forth).  I get it....AI is hard.  They really ought to devote serious development time to developing a first-order organizational AI -- say, at the company-level, since most units (NATO, at least) are platoons.  Then work their way up from there.  Easier said than done, I suppose.

The latest version of Flashpoint does allow you to group units and issue one order that affects all of them, but the issue is that it doesn't work when you have the limited staff option enabled, which ruins the whole aspect of having to decide what the best use of your limited orders is. Also, the turns can take an extremely long time to resolve. I wish there was an option where you could only view the highlights of what happened during that action phase, as opposed to watching two NATO icons shoot at each other for 10 minutes without inflicting any casualties.

Those two issues have made it very hard for me to sink any large amount of time into the game.

1 hour ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Command Ops does it, but I found the results to be mixed. 

AI is hard. 

You made my day Sir, thank you for the heads-up on this one :smile2:

Did not know about Command Ops 2 till now and downloading the core game right now. I see it´s a Panthers Game just like  Conquest of the Aegean which I used to play and still have the CD somewhere.

14 hours ago, Red2112 said:

I have been tempted to ask you if you wear the same person 9_9

But yes, had the pleasure of playing some knife fights with him with 688i (one of the hardest to beat) and speaking with him in sunday morning meetings we had over at the Seawolves. Very nice man, like most Admirals there.  I was known as LCDR Deep2112 CO (AW), LT Deep2112 XO (SW) and CLP Deep2112.

You are from Spain and was assigned to the 16th?