BG ANZAC - 08 SEP AAR

Gibsonm

BG ANZAC embarked on a new professional development programme last night.

The aim is to develop a series of competencies through a series of instruction nights followed by demonstration / feedback.

Last night we did a period on "planning" at the Cbt Team level.

This covered the generic skills and provided some suggested tools (most countries have their own processes so I'm not suggesting that what was covered last night is the only way).

The same skills / tools / approach can be applied to various phases of both conventional, asymmetric and HA/DR operations.

Last night we worked through "Delay" as a type of Defensive Operation and covered capabilities (Friendly and Enemy), the Mission, Observation and fields of fire, cover and concealment, obstacles, key and decisive terrain and avenues of approach (OCOKA), Possible Friendly and Enemy Courses of Action (COA), etc.

We also tied that in to Engagement Area management, NAI, TAI, Triggers, etc.

Kingtiger’s “The Demolition Guard” (recently made 4.004 compliant) was used as the vehicle.

The group then fought “a” possible solution.

Several of the team volunteered to develop their own plan(s) for the same problem so we can trial (COA Analysis if you like) various solutions and look to see if the good parts of several plans can be combined into one “better” plan.

The guys seemed happy and once we finish this cycle we will have a break and then perhaps look at an Attack (or other Offensive Operation) and see how the underlying process doesn’t change but some of the inputs may.

Edited by Gibsonm

Great training on planning methods. I had a strange glitch in game where I seemingly got dropped, but didn't get any message to that effect. So once things kicked off, I seemed to be in a different game to the others - I couldn't hear any shooting, or see any vehicles moving. So as the team fought a tough withdrawal, in my game nothing at all happened. Weird, and I hope not to be repeated.

So sadly I didn't get to experience the plan's execution first-hand, but look forward to working up a plan using the principles we covered.