Gamepad Axis

Scheintot887

Hey guys! Just have bought Steel Beasts 4.0.

Is it possible to control the turret while NOT looking through the GPS? It would be much better when I can actually change the axis which is controlling the turret. So it is not the same as the view axis.

Especially in a tank like the M1A2 Abrams where you can see your sight without looking through GPS.

And until now I have nothing found to configure 6dof view and map it to the axis of my gamepad.

If this is not possible, it would be nice to see that in the future.

Edited by Scheintot887

If you are not on the gunner sights you cannot move the turret, however there is a shortcut that allows you some degree of control that is using the Shift+(right or left arrow) that tells the gunner to observe, aka move the gun more to the right or more to the left.

But no, you cannot fight your tank from outside Wot style, you cannot fire neither.

For proper use of the gun you must be either on the gunner sights or as commander making an override from the TC sights.

As far as I know this is the only possible way to control the gun.

Btw. Welcomed to the Steel Beasts Comunity!!

Edited by Furia

8 hours ago, Furia said:

If you are not on the gunner sights you cannot move the turret, however there is a shortcut that allows you some degree of control that is using the Shift+(right or left arrow) that tells the gunner to observe, aka move the gun more to the right or more to the left.

But no, you cannot fight your tank from outside Wot style, you cannot fire neither.

For proper use of the gun you must be either on the gunner sights or as commander making an override from the TC sights.

As far as I know this is the only possible way to control the gun.

Btw. Welcomed to the Steel Beasts Comunity!!

Thanks. 

Just saying, not speaking of WoT Style. Speaking of controlling the turret while in first person view. Like there is picture in picture support, why not use it? ;-)

Would be nice to see that feature in the future. To basically seperate the view axis from turret axis.

• Members

Well, we designed everything the way it is because it's the best approximation of how it is in real life, at least as best as we can do it. That's not to say that everything is perfect or that we know the answer to every possible user interface design question. But we want to retain the style of a simulation, and to keep training value as our #1 priority, with entertainment being #2. PiP would definitely cross the border into territory where we do not want to go.

Ssnake, the PIP he's referring to is already in use in SB to an extent. The gunner position and commander position in several vehicles show a sight picture viewable in the F1 view.

Scheintot887, I found a post by MAJ Fubar here discussing the biocular display: 

And Retro's post here seems to imply what you're looking for does, indeed work in some cases in SB: 

I haven't tested any of the vehicles for this, myself. My question would be, are you using TrackIR or the mouse for views? 

And I do remember, but can't find the post, bug reports about the T72 slewing the turret when out of the optics.

25 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Well, we designed everything the way it is because it's the best approximation of how it is in real life, at least as best as we can do it. That's not to say that everything is perfect or that we know the answer to every possible user interface design question. But we want to retain the style of a simulation, and to keep training value as our #1 priority, with entertainment being #2. PiP would definitely cross the border into territory where we do not want to go.

It has absolutly nothing to do with "entertainment". It is like Splash has mentioned. The PIP is already there, the only problem is we cannot use it because of the strange control design. I mean there is already a lot to configure in the controls, it is just strange that you cannot change any turret/view axis. I think to add a function for it is not comparable with changing the whole sim into an arcade game.

6 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Maybe we are talking past each other. Seems like I don't understand what you're after.

OK, I just hopped in the sim to check, and the M1A2 turret CAN be controlled from the eye view (Gunner F7) if you use the mouse. This is what Retro was talking about in the linked post above. I figure it might be the same in similarly equipped vehicles, but the OP is talking about the SEP.

I never use the mouse for gunning, so I wasn't aware it was so.

Using the joystick (which is how I play) doesn't control the turret. So I'm interpreting the original request to be a mapping option that gives a joystick axis the same control for the gunner in that view as the mouse does now. I'm not sure that could be done, given the multitasking nature of the mouse in SB (view, button-clicking, cadillac control, etc).

I think the commander's position in the SEP is a good example of what he's looking for. You can sit back in the F7 view, see the commander's independent sight, the map, and your surroundings, and still with your joystick override and control the turret, all without going into the F2 sight view.

I think that atleast in some vehicles this what you seem to after for comes possible if you put checkmark on (use control handle) 

However this can and we likely cause atleast small issues. As joystic is not control handle.

I use this sometimes for better immersion or key mapping. But some keys are very troublesome. For example the way how things work can be perfect on commander position but totally screwed up in gunner position. So I don't recommend this. 

Track IR is probably best way to get things work as desired but it has its troubles as well. Though sadly not all the sights actually have moving picture on F1 view. :(

• Members

With mouse only, we toggle between mouse controlling the view and mouse controlling "something else" (and whatever that is, is context-dependent). Controlling the turret by mouse while you are not in a aiming sight view usually makes little sense as you have no control over where you're looking at, and if we then also allowed to fire weapons... uh - No.

There may be exceptions, e.g. if there is a monitor in the 3D view that replicates a gun sight. But these exceptions are rare and we cannot guarantee to apply this to any vehicle. 

For joystick control this is somewhat similar. You CAN you the joystick to look around in the 3D view, and I think that's what it mostly does.

Then we also support control handle replicas. They usually control the turret all the time (exceptions apply), but their use is typically for actual gunnery training, and they have palm switches that the normal joysticks do not have.

So, let me clear my point of view here.

I've just bought SB Pro (full license) couple of days ago. Installed it and mapped my controller. I tried to find a view and turret setting in the controls but I did not find anything so I jumped into the range to see if it was mapped automatically to an axis and yes, it was.

Then I saw a PiP feature in the M1A2 (exactly the tank I have joined to test if the axis was automatically assigned) so I thought it has to be possible. It is pretty disappointing that I have to read that this is not possible. 

I am sorry but for a simulation which cost around 120€ this is a huge weakspot in my opinion. I don't know any other simulation where this is not possible. The absolutly "no go" here is that you as a developer cannot admit that this is just an old design pattern which is out-dated (probably SB1 area).

I don't want to fight against the SB community. I know - you love your sim, you are a small community and anything but cm'on. No seperate view/turret setting for joystick/gamepad users? 2016? It has absolutly nothing to do with entertainment. It is just the fact that you cannot seperate a view/turret axis in a tank simulation....

It is like Major_Fubar has said in the post which Splash has referred to. It gives you a better situational awareness, you are not forced to have a huge green monitor infront of you all the time and as a "entertainment" plus, it adds more immersion to the simulation. Even if it does not apply to every vehicle which don't have any PiP... I can just repeat myself:

You should be able to seperate view and turret control in a tank simulation which costs around 120- 130€. 

Edited by Scheintot887

• Members

So... HAVE you actually set the CITV into manual mode and then tried controlling it from the commander's F1 view with the joystick?

I mean, the CITV is a tad complicated to use, so maybe it can be done what you want but you just didn't click the right buttons. To be honest, I don't know for sure whether this is possible, I'm not an M1 expert. But if it was you'd still need to put the CITV into the correct mode. Then, when detecting a target, override the gunner so the gun moves to meet your line of sight.

On 9/10/2016 at 10:58 PM, Scheintot887 said:

Hey guys! Just have bought Steel Beasts 4.0.

Is it possible to control the turret while NOT looking through the GPS? It would be much better when I can actually change the axis which is controlling the turret. So it is not the same as the view axis.

Especially in a tank like the M1A2 Abrams where you can see your sight without looking through GPS.

And until now I have nothing found to configure 6dof view and map it to the axis of my gamepad.

If this is not possible, it would be nice to see that in the future.

I think he is talking about using your Binocular Image Control Unit, which is the thermal sight to the right of the Gunner's primary sight eyepiece to scan and be able to shoot. Not sure but I think that is what Scheinto887 is referring to.   

IMG_2171.JPG