SB Pro PE High rez Upgrade

fidelthefallguy

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be just me, but I prefer the original textures...

...the contrast is better, they look more realistic as they aren't so sharp... you do not need to show every blade of grass (and yes I understand that you are mainly just tweaking the original textures), your textures look way too busy and rich in color in comparison. Give me the more subdued less obvious ground detail appearance of the original textures anyday.

Bil

that cool max thanks for your input, but so far I have worked on only a few textures, but im not tweaking the original textures, these are all new textures created from scratch, as for the colour being too rich, once the final textures are in place I will tone everything down a bit. This project aims to produce a set of texture that will allow for more terrain detail at closer ranges. s!

• Members

I should mention that a 20x20km² map will require approximately 40MByte of terrain texture space with the stock textures. If you increase their resolution you are also raising the video memory requirements (quadrupled texture size = quadrupled video memory requirements ... 160 MByte in this case).

That's all nice and well if you have a 256MByte+ video card, but those with a 128 or even just 64 MByte card should be prepared to see some serious performance breakdown.

Of course, texture compression adds some safety margin. But once that you are a single byte above the video RAM space limit the rest must be paged from harddisk with the associated stutter.

im running a 256meg Nvidia 7800, with the graphics setting for SB maxed out and see little if no effects as yet on the FPS (40 to 60pfs with the maps shown in the screen shots), Most of the default textures average around 60kb or so each, the new ones I'm making so far have a max size of 978kb. The completed project will be hefty yes, and I don't expect everyone to gain from it, but I think most of us, (maybe not everyone) have machines more than able to run this mod. But point taken Ssnake, I will endeavor to optimize the textures as much as I can before I release so that more people can use it, thanks

• Members
im running a 256meg Nvidia 7800, ... and see little if no effects as yet on the FPS

Of course you don't. With 256 MByte video RAM it'll be a while before you will notice any change. The point of my remark was that people with just a quarter or half the amount of video RAM (64 and 128 MByte respectively) may experience massive performance breakdowns much, much earlier than you will (if ever). It will depend on the map size and the number of different vehicles and buildings, and if there is a mix of high and standard resolution textures in the terrain theme these breakdowns will be even less predictable. Our standard textures are so small for a reason - that people with 64 MByte graphics cards can still run SB Pro PE reasonably well. It's not that eSim Games is inherently against higher texture resolutions. I bet Raino would love it if we gave him a 2048² texture for each and every vehicle.

There are two conclusions that I am drawing from this,

1. users installing mods with higher texture resolutions are on their own, and
  2. mod designers have the moral obligation to point out in their download descriptions what the hardware requirements for their mods are. In other words, you need to run some calculations on your own

Ssnake, I guess people will find out individually if they can run this or not, and Of course its a 3rd party mod and you or eSims can not be blamed if its sucks for those with old out dated hardware. lol but from what JanTog is telling me my textures are giving him an increase in FPS, and I have seen such myself ( didn't want to boast too much) with Nvidia cards I don't know about ATI cards. Chance has one and I think he reported only a minor increase (1 to 2 fps) Im not saying everyone will get an increase on every map, but certainly on some its showing, anyhow, its still in beta and loads of work to do.

peace

• Members
I guess people will find out individually if they can run this or not

I have no doubt that they will find out if it doesn't work. However, as I pointed out, it may be quite erratic that some missions will work and others will not because in some cases the video RAM is just large enough and the next time it is almost large enough (but not quite).

Of course its a 3rd party mod and you or eSims can not be blamed

Justified or not, I'm pretty sure that people will report it as an SB Pro bug and send us on a witch hunt unless I remember to ask whether they installed a particular high res texture mod, and what their video memory size is. My experience tells me that, with luck on Murphy's side, they will not know or give a misleading or confusing answer. It is therefore essential that Mod makers raise awareness of this possible consequence so that if people notice erratic behavior after installing the mod they realize that there may be a connection.

• Members

It's not "another gripe". It's just a reflection of my experiences. People report that Steel Beasts doesn't behave as expected. That's normal, I'm the guy to turn to in these cases, and eventually we will get things sorted out. It's just, I'd like to cut some of the needless complications and to help people faster, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask mod makers to take up some responsibility here by adding a disclaimer line in the download descriptions that if users experience erratic frame rates it may be due to the mod exceeding the modest hardware recommendations for SB Pro PE.

Am I asking for too much here?