Game hangs when switching to 3D view [solved]

AlphaOneSix

I've been having an issue more and more often lately when Steel Beasts will "hang" when switching from a 2D view (map, briefing, etc.) to any 3D view (either by pressing one of the F keys or by double clicking on a unit from the map view). By "hung" I mean that the application becomes unresponsive and Windows marks it as "Not Responding", asking if I'd like to continue waiting for it to respond or close the application.  I had this issue before, but in the past, it tended to "resolve" itself after 10 seconds or so.  Ever since 4.0 (and 4.004) the problem has only "resolved" on its own once.  In about 6 other cases, the game has remained in a hung state (Not Responding, according to Windows) until I finally give up and close the application, usually after 15-20 minutes of waiting.

There is a message in my debug logs that repeats over and over and seems to coincide nicely with the time period where the game was not responding:

"WARN : Message of type MYMSGID_TANKSTATETOHOST (18) was sent XXX times in the last 5000 ms [FPS=64.47 (66.54 - 59.02)]!"

where XXX is usually around 150-250 and the FPS hovers around 60.

The above message appears to begin at the time the game stops responding and doesn't stop until I quit the game. In last night's case during TGIF, the game hung and the messages started at approximately 23:33:50 and there are 345 more messages like that up until I quit the game at 23:57:07.

I am not pretending that this is a problem with Steel Beasts, or surely it would be happening to more people, but if anyone has any insight into what may be happening, I'm all ears (eyes?).

EDIT:  I feel compelled to add that the same messages appear in the logs when the issue "resolved" itself in the past, but the line only occurs 3-5 times and the games resumed working normally.

• Members

I can but ask you to follow the standard troubleshooting routine.

Start SB Pro through the "Troubleshooting" subdirectory's program link in "debug mode" (Windows Start Menu | eSim Games | Steel Beasts Pro PE | Troubleshooting), and send us the related debugLog text files. In addition, zip up the crashdump files in your user account's folder C:\Users\[whatever your user name is]\AppData\Local\CrashDumps) and upload them to some place from where our programmers can retrieve them (e.g. send me a link, or post it here).

Also, please check if this also happens while you are running Steel Beasts in windowed mode. (There may be an error message that you don't get to see in fullscreen mode.)

Tell us about your graphics card driver version. Check if there are background applications that may interfere with 3D scene rendering.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I had a crash again, although it was AFTER rejoining after one of these "lockups".  I rejoined the game in progress (TGIF) and my game crashed as soon as it was unpaused. I was not running the debug version during the first try, but when I rejoined, I was running the debug version.  DebugLog and crash dump attached to this post.  My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with driver version 353.62, although I suspect that my crash on rejoin in this case is not connected to my issue of locking up when switching from the map (2D) view to the 3D world, but hey who knows. Also note that I've been in windowed mode this entire time, I haven't used full screen mode in years.

SBProPE64cm.exe.4616.zip

DebugLog.zip