Gunner video comment

Chiquito

I have two question about this video. I guess this is a M60 with TIS.

1- I see in this video a side movement of the sighting system. This same behavior happen to me last time I took M1A1. Why do this side movement while lasing?

2- we can see the gunner never targeting right over the tank to target, but anyway he got to hit the target well. I guess the right/down correction is ballistic calculation cuz the wing/temp right, but Down? Maybe a ballistic error and the gunner made a manual correction? Anyway I never see he got aim on this tank and was a good hit.

• Members
  1. It's an M1A2 (presumably SEP). Note the additional status messages on the screen, including cardinal direction at the screen top)
  2. This tank isn't shooting, it's a neighbor to the right
  3. This tank never enters a new range into the ballistic computer (or at least no other than 1090m)
  4. This crew has shitty procedures
  5. Any sideways movement of the sights that you may have spotted is coincidental/unrelated to movement in the M1A1. I'll let others explain why. ;)

The reason the reticle moves sideways in the sight on the M60 and older M1s is because the sight has no ability to look left or right of where the turret is facing. When tracking a moving target with lead, the gun and turret aim ahead of the target. Since the sight can't look left or right, it also views ahead of the target. The reticle is moved in the opposite direction inside the sight to compensate for this. Also, since the sight is offset to the side of the gun, there will be a small difference between where the sight is looking and where the round will actually hit, so the reticle gets offset to correct for this based on the range in the FCS.

On other tanks, the sight can move left and right, so when lead is being applied the sight itself can stay aimed at the target while the turret and gun aim ahead of it.