Regarding the CV9035dk/NL

DK-DDAM

Hi DK-DDAM, thanks for the FCS modes video, helped me understand the CV's a bit more. Also just for info, for me the audio on the youtube video kept fading in and out every 5-8 seconds making it hard to follow what you were saying. Others could confirm how the audio is for them as it might be how I have my PC setup currently. Cheers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

should be updated now mate... was the wrong video.. i thought i had changed that bit.. thx for the info though, and posted the right video. placed it in the first post.. so ppl dont have to dig for it :)

Edited by DK-DDAM

Great video - thank you.

Explain more about "chambering the round" please. 

If a round is not chambered is it thrown by hand and consequently has less chance of hitting ? :)

Seriuosly - how does this improve accuracy ?

I had the same problem with shooting helis, sometimes you blast away all your ammo and it has no effect, other times one hit brings it down. (same target type - I know Hinds are tough).

Edited by 2-pies
Clarify:

2 hours ago, 2-pies said:

Great video - thank you.

Explain more about "chambering the round" please. 

If a round is not chambered is it thrown by hand and consequently has less chance of hitting ? :)

Seriuosly - how does this improve accuracy ?

I had the same problem with shooting helis, sometimes you blast away all your ammo and it has no effect, other times one hit brings it down. (same target type - I know Hinds are tough).

i think it might have to do with the round normally being fired open bolt. with "chambering" on, it's semi-closed bolt.

normally when we shoot the KETF round its done with open bolt with chambering we do it closed to make the round more accurate when engaging... as in not just throwing the round out there.. if you need more explination keep asking mate..

49 minutes ago, DK-DDAM said:

normally when we shoot the KETF round its done with open bolt with chambering we do it closed to make the round more accurate when engaging... as in not just throwing the round out there.. if you need more explination keep asking mate..

Thanks - I now understand open- and closed-bolt technology.

That explains why I was blazing away and not hitting.  I was going to comment on the inaccuracy of this gun (it appears to have the CEP of an SS-4 :)) - but I see I was missing a vital step.  And that explains another question I had - what was the Closed Bolt SB control command for ?

It does seem a shame, that here is a 21st century digital FCS linked to a gun which requires 19th century breech loading drills to get an accurate shot ;)

Was this not considered by anybody to be a design flaw (at least a negative) for such a modern weapon system ? 

Surely a modern gun/loader design could be made that did not need to add an additional step - this could surely be automated as part of the loading/firing sequence ? 

I would still like to know the precise reason the design has this trait (if it's not classifed).

28 minutes ago, 2-pies said:

It does seem a shame, that here is a 21st century digital FCS linked to a gun which requires 19th century breech loading drills to get an accurate shot ;)

Was this not considered by anybody to be a design flaw (at least a negative) for such a modern weapon system ? 

Surely a modern gun/loader design could be made that did not need to add an additional step - this could surely be automated as part of the loading/firing sequence ? 

I would still like to know the precise reason the design has this trait (if it's not classifed).

Well, unlike electronics and optronics,  development of small arms and direct fire medium caliber  weapons reached  it limits  a  few decades ago and  any really significant progress is not possible, actually... Its not possible to go further with conventional propellants and  projectile designs.

Edited by Jartsev

My guess is that the mere act of firing the gun in open bolt mode vibrates the gun and causes a sudden change of centre of gravity. There are various small arms out there that fire in open bolt on full auto and closed bolt single shot for this reason. The classic example was the German FG-42 rifle of WW2. 

The UK MoD decided to go totally against the grain with the 30mm L21A1 RARDEN in designing a gun to shoot with extreme accuracy in single shot. Hence RARDEN (uniquely?) fires from a closed bolt/breech along with other features to enhance accuracy. However, you are looking at a weapon that can only be loaded with a maximum of two three round clips at a time and fires at a mere 90 rpm (WW2 Bofors 40mm LAA guns typically fired at 120). A 1980s Jane's describes it as best thought of as a small tank gun fitted with an automatic loader or a large semi auto sniper rifle. That might even have worked out, and perhaps it did on the Fox, Sabre, Scimitar and FV432, but for reasons Ssnake can best explain, it didn't on Warrior....

I will respect your wishes. What we are trying to do is lure people with the kind of deep interest in AFV's to come over from tank-net.com which was once a really active community, but now seems to have gone the way of many hard-core discussion forums. If you would like to check it out, here it is. You'll see Ssnake, MDF and others posting there so you would have been in good company. I won't raise the subject again: 

http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42001

PS: The CV9035DK video already on there was found on youtube, not here, so must be publically available. I'll take that down if you wish.

Edited by ChrisWerb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah as kt said.. when using the different modes keep your spacebutton in or firing button in, till its fired all the rounds for that specific mode.. goes the same for point deep and of course wide.. the FCS turns the turret automaticly in widemode to make it do the spreading, so you dont have to, just keep the reticle in the center part of the infantry group.

That is awesome. I'm finding the CV9035DK a very entertaining/rewarding vehicle to play. Ditto all the CVs. I confess my favourite is the CV90/40B - the relatively rapid reloads, substantial ammo load and utterly devastating 3P ammunition make it pretty fearsome despite its older subsystems and I have been messing about with some (very primitive) Gotland scenarios of my own for which it is obviously ideal.

About the open bolt vs closed bolt and the "chamber" button thing -

I suppose that you could come up with a much more elegant and complicated solution, where in a computer system decides when and if the bolt should be closed...And then hope that it didn't decide to inappropriately leave the chamber open, or suddenly slam it shut.

The existing system may not be slick and high tech, but it is effective.

Open bolt may not be ideal for accuracy, but it prevents the gun from getting too hot and heating up a chambered round until it goes "bang".  So in a situation where you're doing sustained full auto fire, it's a good thing.  My only question would be if the 35mm actually NEEDS  an open bolt

I can't see why it would not be possible to make the gun fire from a closed bolt on single shot semiautomatic and from an open bolt on full auto on the flick of a switch (though Hans raises a good point as to whether the latter is really necessary). This is an externally driven gun which should make such a choice easier than on the FG42 etc. where it had to be implemented mechanically.

Edited by ChrisWerb

• 1 year later...

Can the CV9035DK 35mm main gun fire full automatic in SB or can it only fire in single and burst modes depending on the program being run (air, point, breach etc)? I can't find any button in Steel Beasts to toggle between auto and single.

• Members

All that being said, prepare for the CV90/35 fire control system to become more complicated in future releases. We've just run the gauntlet of a full revision, there were a lot of things not quite right (or even plain wrong, particularly when dealing with air targets, or switching to target modes requiring KETF while you've closed the bolt with an AP round).