Multiplayer connection issues [solved]

Furia

Me and an another member of our VU are experiencing some strange issues with the multiplayer connection in Steel Beasts.

I cannot host a game anylonger since nobody can see my server and may colleage cannot host neither can find any Steel Beasts.

Please bear in mind in the 3 REG Tiyina we do play mostly MP games and we have been doing this for years so we do know how this works and how to open ports and host games. Or so we tought.

In my case I was thinking my problem  was initially related to have moved to Vienna and having a new internet provider and a problem with ports.

Nobody can see my sesion if I am hosting. However I can nicely find any SB session, join and play without problems now.

I though I had a problem with ports but I have opened them. I am enclosing a pic. I have them open Imbound and outbound.

I have disabled my antivirus and removed any firewall in router and in Windows. No joy. Thankfully I can join and play as guest but I cannot host.

My friend has a more serious problem. He cannot see any sesion neither he can host. He has also verified his ports are open and tested it with no AV or FW

We both have tested other games like DCS World and we see can also play and join on those sims with no problem.

We are running out of ideas about how to fix this. Supposedly 4.0 didn´t required to open any ports manually but while for years we have been able to play online, now we are experiencing troubles and we do not really know what else to check on this.

Any help or suggestions are most welcomed

image.png

image.png

Hi Mark.

The screenshot is from the control panel of my router. Besides the new Internet provider the only new thing new on my PC setup is the use of a Powerline network adapter (Devolo dblan 1200+) As far as I know these deviced do not block port traffic and should not be the problem. but at this point I really have no other ideas about what could be happening.

Thanks for the extra info.

I notice this is an IPv6 configuration page, its there one for IPv4?

Most machines are still on the old IPv4 standard (www.xxx.yyy.zzz)

If you have setup IPv6 rules but your machine is on IPv4 that maybe the issue.

Also it doesn't look like the Router has a destination specified. Usually the forwarding is of the format - "incoming traffic on port X forward to address Y"

If the router is sending the traffic on the ports listed to every LAN address I'm not sure how well that can work?

Hi Mark, thanks for your imputs. It is indeed iPv6, seem that here this fiber optic connection uses that protocol.

IPv4 is also enabled  in my pc with default parameters.

when I opened the ports using the control panel I showed on the picture above, it allowed me to open them to "all" ip in the LAN network. I will try to open manually for just one Ip and see what happen.

Have anyone else reported such kind of issues in 4.0?

As I mentioned one of my colleagues in 3 REG Tizona who has  not changed internet provider or changed any hardware or software, reports that from one day to another he cannot simply see any server neither he can host.

We do have reviewed his port forwarding, removed AV and FW but still no joy.

I guess the debug tool of SB would not help to figure our what is happening.

The reason we brought this subject here is because seems we can play nicvely in other games such DCS so we end up suspecting the trouble maybe somehow related to SB althouh oif course we are not certain of anything at all at tghis point.

For SB 4.x only:

1) If you're a CLIENT, you don't need to forward/open ports in either IPv4 or IPv6.

2) If you're a HOST, you DO need to open/forward UDP ports 2300 and 2400 in your router/firewall. You don't need the whole range anymore (like in SB 3.x and older), only these two ports. Neither do you need TCP, you only need UDP.

3) You need to do this for the protocol you're actually using on your PC and SB: if you're using IPv4 in SB, you need to open/forward IPv4. If you're using IPv6 in SB, you need to open IPv6 (there is no forwarding in IPv6).

4) IPV4 and IPv6 don't mix and match in SB. It's either everyone in a network session on IPv4, or everyone on IPv6.

5) Stick with IPv4 by default for best results. IPv6 has only been implemented in addition to be future-proof. However, there is no actual need to use IPv6 if offered by your ISP, nor is there any advantage in using it. In fact, IPv6 uses slightly larger network messages and hence generates more network traffic.

Hope this helps.