Some tracking/dynamic lead questions.

ChrisWerb

I touched on this in a previous thread. Is there something odd going on with the tracking in US MBTs up to the M1A1? The reason I ask is that the sight generates dynamic lead without my even attempting to track, as long as I lase. The sight jumps to the dynamic lead position the instant I lase. On vehicles with newer two axis sights/FCS tracking appears to work as I would expect it to - incredibly subtely in many cases.

Edited by ChrisWerb

That behavior is correct.  The M1's FCS uses "kinematic lead" and begins calculating lead whenever the laser is fired.  When your tank is stationary and you're engaging a stationary target the procedure is to lase,  "dump lead" by releasing the palm switches (P key), then reacquire and fire.

• Members

Technically, lead calculation starts whenever a range is being entered into the fire control computer, be it a manual range, battlesight, or laser range. Lead calculation is then based on the moving average of the turret rotation rate of the last 1.5 seconds if I remember it correctly. Which means that if the commander overrides the gunner with a fast turret traverse you should track the target steadily for 1.5 seconds (to get the (too high) traverse rates out from the moving average before you enter the range.

Lead calculation will continue to work on the 1.5 seconds moving average after the range has been added. The problem is, if your tracking isn't smooth or the target changes direction the moving average effect will result in a deterministic, but apparently erratic, constantly changing lead value. If the gunner then tries to compensate for the reticule movement ("chasing the reticule") this will add more and rapidly changing turret traverse rate values, quickly deteriorating the quality of the lead prediction. Hence the recommendation to dump the lead whenever the target changes direction of travel, or velocity.