Leopard 2A5DK Armor Values

Mirzayev

After the results of yesterday's Kanium Mission, I was curious about the armor value of the Leopard 2A5DK, with one Platoon of Leopards destroying 17 T-72B1 2012s with one tank immobilized. I know the Leopard 2A5DK has a bit more armor in the frontal hull (20mm more protection against KE vs the Leopard 2A5), but I decided to conduct a test between various tanks being shot at from the front from the T-72B1 2012 equipped with BM-46 APFSDS-T rounds. I conducted two tests each against the Leopard 2A5, the Leopard 2A5DK, the Leopard 2A6, and the Challenger 2. The tanks were approximately 100 meters from each other. I kept the gun of the T-72 in the same position for all shots. The results were... interesting.

Leopard 2A5

Test 1: Destroyed in 1 shot

Test 2: Destroyed in 1 shot

Leopard 2A6

Test 1: Destroyed in 1 shot

Test 2: Destroyed in 1 shot

Challenger 2

Test 1: Destroyed in 4 shots

Test 2: Destroyed in 3 shots

Leopard 2A5DK

Test 1: Tank not destroyed; T-72 expended all ammo.

Test 2: Tank not destroyed; T-72 expended all ammo.

Is the Leopard 2A5DK in fact that much tougher of a tank when compared to the normal Leopard 2A5/A6 line?

AARs are included for reference. 

Challenger 2 Test 1.aar

Challenger 2 Test 2.aar

Leopard 2A5 Test 1.aar

Leopard 2A5 Test 2.aar

Leopard 2A5DK Test 1.aar

Leopard 2A5DK Test 2.aar

Leopard 2A6 Test 1.aar

Leopard 2A6 Test 2.aar

SB wiki says : 

A4/A5 standard front hull armor 600 mm 

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Leopard_2A5

A5DK/ 2E front hull armor ~700 mm

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Leopardo_2E

Notice that is says greater than 620mm 

How well these figures actually corresponds to the values modelled in SB 4.006 is anybody,s guess (well Deja or Volcano should know of course ;-)

• Members

The hull front of the Danish, Swedish, and Spanish Leo 2s received an add-on armor plating (as should be plainly visible).

If a round has less energy than is needed to perforate the armor plate, well, then nothing happens.

The regular Leo 2A5 and 2A6 haven't received that extra armor. If a shot manages to perforate there's a big ammo magazine right behind that plate, so there's an elevated chance that it goes kaboom right away.

The Challenger has a thicker armor in places, except where the driver's hatch is. Which, unfortunately, happens to be close to the center of the vehicles, and our computer-controlled units aim for it, so there's an elevated risk to receive a killing blow here.

So if you happened to shoot with an ammo that barely perforates the classic hull of the Leo 2, the difference to the uparmored versions shouldn't come as a big surprise.