Using older scenarios with version 4.0?

Holman

Another quick question:  what's the rule of thumb on using older scenarios with the latest version of the game?

If I'm running 4.0+, will weird things happen if I play scenarios created under earlier versions of the game?  How far back can I go?

Thanks!

• Members

In principle it works.

With scenarios made in version 2.6 and older there is however one snag: Mech infantry would automatically dismount in those versions (and auto-remount), something that we had to break with version 3.0

So, in those cases it may be required to do some repair work.

In Steel Beasts 1 scenarios vehicles could pass through any water tile adjacent to a land tile - IOW, rivers of up to 25m width could simply be driven through. That was no longer possible with any version 2.x, so some movement routes would have needed to get adapted.

It happens with any original SB scenario I've seen. The scoring in the old SB works significantly differently, with the option to subtract points from the total score instead of the current system which is purely additive. Here's a screenshot of the scoring from the old "Rock, Paper, Scissors" scenario:

HnxPI7K.jpg

• Members

Probably only goes to show how much I have forgotten over the years.

Yeah, that part had to be changed for compatibility with the classroom version. I don't remember the exact reasons why we made the decision to break backwars compatibility. It may have been at a time, maybe 2004, when we didn't even think of the Personal Edition and how that might somehow become the successor to legacy scenarios. We committed to a maximum of backwards compatibility only with the Professional Version, acknowledging that the real investment for our customers wasn't the software license, but developing the library of training content.