M1 and M60 Question

Lore_DK

Hey

I´m new here and I have a quick question. If you use the Laser Range finder too much on the M1 and M60 it will take damage and you can not use it any more. Is this a real problem and if yes, what happens?

The Leopard1 A5-DK and the Leopard2 A5-DK dose not have the same problem.

I hope anyone can help me.

Best

Lars

Edited by Lore_DK

Hi

This is from tutorial's briefing:

"The laser in the M1's LRF can burn out if you overuse it, so be careful!
To be safe, never fire more than four pulses in an 80-second period. Don't hold
the lase button down for a long time. If you see a green F next to the range
numbers in the GPS and the red reticle disappears, you have burned out the LRF"

Edited by Andres87

32 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Happens also to the Leopard models. In SB be...and at least for 2A4 also  in real life...

I thought that, in the Leos, the laser simply doesn't fire while it is overheated, rather than burning itself out.

I know that the danish A5-DK´s uses the CE628 laser range unit, that can lase 3 times in 4 sec. I am almoste sure that it is the same asin the German Leopards. The M1´uses an ELRF made by Litton. The M60A3 uses an AN/VVG-2.

Edited by Lore_DK

I talked with a platoon chief from JDR (Jyske Dragoon Regiment) and he told that it is impossible to burn the laser tube on the A5-dk´s, because there is a fuse that shuts down it if it gets too hot.

So that I can read is, that the A5-DK´s has a saftey and that this saftey is not on M1érne and M60?

Thank you all for the many fine answer. Sometimes I need to know how things and devices work to understand them. Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions and even with such detailed answers. If there are others out there with more knowledge, please write.

best

Lars