Will THIS ever get FIXED?

Werewolf

I have to say.... I think it's been years since I've had a vehicle drive off a bridge.  i suspect the problem some people are having results from the lead vehicle turning too sharply after clearing the far side of the bridge, and follow-on vehicles' AI attempting to turn as well before having completely crossed.  Or, similarly, the approach route to the bridge is at too sharp an angle to the direction of the bridge.  

So, in my experience, the nearly foolproof method is to create a route where the last 100 meters before the bridge approaches the bridge from an angle less than about 30 degrees from the direction of the bridge; hold the shift key down while plotting the portion that actually crosses the bridge (this causes the route to "snap" directly to the bridge); and make sure that the approximately 100 meters of route on the far side of the bridge does not turn more than about 30 degrees from the direction of the bridge. 

MDF,

Many thanks. "some people" are feeling better informed by the minute! :)

GibsonM, (I will address you as Mark when invited)

Ah yes the primer. It lurks on my hard drive and iPad, and I have dipped in, but have not got  to the route planning section. There is a huge amount of documentation to plough through and digest, both in the game docs and in the downloads here. What would you suggest I read in what order? Say five key documents to start off with.

I understand the User Manual may be updated shortly, so that will have to go in Pending Tray.

Squint closer. No irony here. Not Diehl. Not even close. Perhaps I should have styled myself "Trackpins". Clue: one of the first "live" track designs.

Lastly, we have SB, we have some Vietnam terrain, vegetation, ?structures. We have M113s and Centurion 5/2s (OK need tweak to 5/1s and remove side-skirts etc), but  with RAAC history in mind, have you ever considered the  Battle of Binh Ba, 6th June 1969, or Op Hammersley, Feb 1970 as scenario material? Bruce Cameron's "Canister! On! Fire!" is a seminal work on the subject. As a COIN type battlespace, I don't believe the NVA fielded armour at Binh Ba... but a hypothetical counter attack could be considered.

Pehaps someone downunder has already had a crack at this?

Trackpin

Trackpin,

Permission granted. Mark / Gibbo both fine. :)

In terms of "reading in" can I suggest these two links:

and

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

I've thought about Long Tan, Binh Ba / OP HAMMER, Coral / Balmoral, etc. but to date there have been challenges:

1. Weather - hard to replicate the downpour with resulting impacts on visibility/going (this has been addressed in 4.x with the new weather).

2. Terrain - trying to model the jungle (with M113s bouncing off bamboo, etc.). This remains a challenge. Dense woods aren't quite an ideal replacement.

3. Centurion - whilst the 20Pdr vs 105mm L7 differences aren't that big (in a Vietnam context) getting the right effects of HESH or APCBC/T can be problematic. This is pretty central to bunker busting / house demoltion.

4. Infantry modelling - Isn't quite "good enough" for jungle / MOUT (in terms of AI controlled NVA / VC or Blue RAR) yet, but is getting better.

5. Infantry AT weapons - From memory RPG-7V is the worst AT weapon modelled, but these are much more effective than the RPG-2s faced in Vietnam.

So overall its possible (with squinting) but not perfect. :)

If you are free Thursday night (Oz times) you are more than welcome.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

We DO intend to improve the behavior of vehicles. That said, it will still have to wait a little. Our first step is to improve infantry in general. Once that we're satisfied with that we'll attempt to transfer some of the solutions to the vehicles. Not everything will apply, of course, but as far as AI behavior and pathfinding is concerned, there is a considerable overlap when it comes to the very basics.

Since the vehicle code, while not "great" could be considered "sorta kinda does the job, most of the time" there is a risk to make matters worse if we make the switch too soon. Therefore, I can but ask for a bit more patience.

10 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Our first step is to improve infantry in general

This is fantastic news. 

I had some frustrations during our Kanium session this past Sunday.

I, as well as many others appreciate these efforts and look forward to the future. If you require any help during this process please feel free to pick my brain. 

Mark,

There you go!

Photographed on an M4A3 (Late) Sherman gate-guardian in Vermont, USA.

Your prize, an exploded view. Items 5,6 and 7 were mirrored obvs.

The rubber bushings were clever;  acting as shock absorbers, weather seals and de-catenation devices at the same time.

Thanks for the Thursday invite. Most civil, but I think I will remain in defilade and keep practicing getting cremated by AIs!

Trackpin

ShermanTrackParts.jpg

Edited by Trackpin
fat fingers

• Members
16 hours ago, mpow66m said:

off topic,but any idea when the new manual will be avail?

It's done, except for a passage about the new file organization and workflow of map handling in the New Terrain version. Once that the programmers have explained and demonstrated the changes to the rest of the team in a way that we can comprehend we will create a tutorial video for YouTube, and update the manual text. The plan is to have the manual ready when the new terrain engine gets rolled out. We want to run a new print, and naturally we don't want the printed manual to be obsolete from day one.

On 24/01/2017 at 0:55 AM, Gibsonm said:

T

I've thought about Long Tan, Binh Ba / OP HAMMER, Coral / Balmoral, etc. but to date there have been challenges:

1. Weather - hard to replicate the downpour with resulting impacts on visibility/going (this has been addressed in 4.x with the new weather).

2. Terrain - trying to model the jungle (with M113s bouncing off bamboo, etc.). This remains a challenge. Dense woods aren't quite an ideal replacement.

3. Centurion - whilst the 20Pdr vs 105mm L7 differences aren't that big (in a Vietnam context) getting the right effects of HESH or APCBC/T can be problematic. This is pretty central to bunker busting / house demoltion.

4. Infantry modelling - Isn't quite "good enough" for jungle / MOUT (in terms of AI controlled NVA / VC or Blue RAR) yet, but is getting better.

5. Infantry AT weapons - From memory RPG-7V is the worst AT weapon modelled, but these are much more effective than the RPG-2s faced in Vietnam.

So overall its possible (with squinting) but not perfect. :)

If you are free Thursday night (Oz times) you are more than welcome.

Would also need to model. 0.50 RMG used as weapon vs houses etc. as described in Simon Dunstan's "Centurion" :)

I read that the RPG-2/B-40 was actually more effective vs M113 etc. due to its having a less efficient heat warhead that blew a much bigger hole in the vehicle's relatively thin aluminium armour and caused much greater behind around effects.

Edited by ChrisWerb