Computer awareness

Captain_Colossus

Computer crews have a supernatural ability to pop the hatch and button up as soon as the trigger is pulled on a ATGM, it seems there's no delay- the effect looks as though an exposed TC for instance has a guidance wire attached between him and the player's trigger when firing at him- instantaneous, in other words, the exact instant it's fired, the computer already knows it's under attack.

Likewise, I made a group of M113s blind and try to machine gun the unbuttoned TCs to test the reaction time. As above, the TCs popped down the hatch the instant the trigger is pulled, their reaction is faster than bullets being shot at them from 100 meters in my test- and these TCs are supposedly blind and can't observe or sense this. It was the same with autocannons and ATGMs- even while blind, the computer TCs can sense the moment the trigger is pulled and shoot down the hatch faster than any bullet or missile in the air can reach them even at close range.

Finally, it doesn't seem to be the case that sniper teams will shoot at unbutton crews; again, changing the status the vehicles to blind was not encouraging, so even with no chance of enemy crews spotting them, the snipers would not shoot.

Do units 'know' that other units are blind and become more bold, or is it just that some units will not engage regardless- for example snipers.

This is, IIRC, a long standing bug.  Basically the buttoned/unbuttoned status of the vehicle seems to be tied together with the status of the vehicle being "under fire".

"Under fire" is not triggered by the arrival of a projectile, nor by the arrival of sound.  AI will react to an artillery strike and button up before the shells arrive.

In the long run it's not a big deal, but I'm sure Ssnake and the team will give this attention in the future.

I did notice this before, but it's much more apparent to visualize because you can see the embodied representation of the figure dodging bullets and what have you, before you saw the hatch close, but you really couldn't see just how fast the computer was escaping.

I take it then it's impossible to disable an ubuttoned computer crew member- they can always button up faster than any projectile can hit them, though they can be disabled when inside the vehicle.