Some Multiplayer Questions

SovietOnion

Hey gents.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but when I searched I only turned up answers from 2011 or earlier.

I'm a group leader for another military simulation game that focuses on infantry. We've been eyeing Steel Beasts Pro as a means for us to get into some more realistic armor scenarios, but we have some questions.

1: Does the game support dedicated servers, or would one of us have to host?

2: If we have to host, does that require an additional license?

3: Is there a player cap? From what I read in 2011 there was an eight player cap. Not sure if that's still in place.

Thanks for your time.

For the single license there is an eight player cap still.  

If you need more than that you need a server license.  You can talk to eSim about a server license but I am unsure of the criteria for getting one.

Not knowing what you mean by "dedicated server" I can't answer that except to say that you could use one but it does not operate like WoT in that it is open to whomever, whenever.  Someone still needs to control the server.

I'm sure someone will correct me If I'm wrong.

28 minutes ago, SovietOnion said:

1: Does the game support dedicated servers, or would one of us have to host?

2: If we have to host, does that require an additional license?

3: Is there a player cap? From what I read in 2011 there was an eight player cap. Not sure if that's still in place.

Thanks for your time.

Answers:

1. No. Its not like other products with 24/7 support/availability.

Some people run machines that regularly do the "server" function (e.g. TGIF, Kanium, DOW, BG ANZAC, ...) but these are setup on a "as required" basis. That is they start an SB session at as set Date /Time (normally advertised here in the Forum or Calendar) and people turn up and participate.

To run a server requires a good Internet connection, more players = higher bandwidth requirement for "server".

2. If you want more than 8 people to participate, then "Yes". The Server executable is available from eSim (on a "by application basis) and it removes the 8 player limit.

3. See "2" above.

Note: Not correcting CavGunner - he just posted as I was typing. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

So if I wanted to host an event for my friends, I can host the game on the same license and same machine as I am playing on, but can only have 7 others join me without a server license?

I will see about applying for a server license now then, can't hurt.

29 minutes ago, SovietOnion said:

So if I wanted to host an event for my friends, I can host the game on the same license and same machine as I am playing on, but can only have 7 others join me without a server license?

Basically "Yes", but ....

1. You/They will need 8 licenses (either you have one and 7 secondaries, or you have one and each person participating brings their own).

Also the Server only removes the license "cap". Everyone needs a license. e.g. 20 people can join but each of those 20 people need their own (or access to) a license. Running the server application does not allow people without a license to join.

2. The person running the Server (or "Hosting" with the normal one) application will need "Port Forwarding" setup:

Those who are "clients" don't.

Each person who'd like to "host" will need to do this. If its only ever one person/machine then you need it done on that one, if you want the flexibility of anyone hosting then they'll all need it. 

Edited by Gibsonm

• 2 weeks later...

Small addendum to this post:

My crew has received a server license from the gracious ssnake, and we're looking to set up our server on a dedicated, physical server box. We want to (hopefully) be free of the confines of social lives and fickle internet. We own the box, it's the same we use for other games we run.

We have installed the game as normal, but when we go to activate the license we get the following error:

An internal error has occurred. Please try again later.
Error Code = 0x18080001

Initial suspicions, combined with talking to ssnake, might be that because we are on a server box that might deal with USBs the same way as a PC it could be a problem for codemeter. 

Do any of the VU units have experience with setting up a dedicated server?

Edited by SovietOnion