Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

9erRed

Army testing Airless tires for Humvees

Greetings all,

Just finished reading some info about the new or next generation of tires. Army is testing them now and they want a workable design for the Humvees as soon as possible. Here's a link to the article that also has a short slideshow.

Who would have thought that those little bee's building that precise pattern of six-sided cells arranged like a honeycomb would be so strong on a large scale! I still find it odd that when science "discovers" a new stronger way to build something (by coping Nature) they get all exicited.

anyway here's the link...

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=tires-that-dont-need-air

Later ..... 9erRed

Awards

Well, they sure look cool :)

I've seen a similar design on a concept car. The biggest hurtle to the solid tire has been balancing, and heat. As stated in the article.

FYI you can see some of the other designs mentioned here:

http://www.birdtire.com/specialty_tires.htm

Tires like these have been used for years on forklifts.

Anyway, cool tech. And I believe its a good first step in a truly modular tire. Which would be a great advancement in automotive tech. Imagine, if you will. Only changing a "piece of the pie" when you have a damaged tire.

Awards