"Zipuli" interview at rockpapershotgun.com

pvtkramer

The Flare Path: A Typical Atypical Simmer #2

The man currently sipping a Koskenkorva and consulting his cue cards in the U/S Williams X-Jet The Flare Path uses as a dais is Ilja ‘Zipuli’ Varha. Our second ‘atypical simmer‘, Ilja has very kindly agreed to talk about his journey from juvenile M1 Tank Platoon fan to 33-year-old brigade simulator officer in the Finnish Defence Forces. Whether your polygonal battle wagon of preference is a Steel Beasts Leo, a Steel Fury T-34 or a World of Tanks Tiger, the following paragraphs should prove interesting.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/09/the-flare-path-a-typical-atypical-simmer-2/#more-417935

Edited by pvtkramer

“I went on to play a lot of other flight simulators like Spectrum HoloByte’s Falcon 3.0, Jane’s US Navy Fighters, Aces over Europe and more recently IL-2 Sturmovik..."

Falcon 3.0 was great.  Heck, I have the Gold Collection of all three addons (F/A-18, MiG-29, and OFT) and still fire it up now and then...

IL-2 Sturmovik, huh Zipuli?  We may have bumped into each other a few times online lol.

4 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

“I went on to play a lot of other flight simulators like Spectrum HoloByte’s Falcon 3.0, Jane’s US Navy Fighters, Aces over Europe and more recently IL-2 Sturmovik..."

Falcon 3.0 was great.  Heck, I have the Gold Collection of all three addons (F/A-18, MiG-29, and OFT) and still fire it up now and then...

IL-2 Sturmovik, huh Zipuli?  We may have bumped into each other a few times online lol.

That was a great time for flight sims when the shelves used to be full of them.  I was able to squeeze out 624k of conventional memory for Falcon 3.  Expanded memory and a really small mouse driver were the keys.

They need to remake Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

On 13/12/2016 at 6:38 PM, Homer said:

That was a great time for flight sims when the shelves used to be full of them.  I was able to squeeze out 624k of conventional memory for Falcon 3.  Expanded memory and a really small mouse driver were the keys.

They need to remake Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

I have to disagree. Yes, there were tons of simulators and altough many of them were great for its time, I will rather have one DCS module (preferably Ka-50 or Mig-21:-) than all the older sims ever made. 

Do not get me wrong, I spent countless hours with  Hind from DI, Chuck Yeager´s Air Combat Simulator, US Navy Fighters...Retaliator...and many others and loved them all but even though we have much thinner choice these days, the quality is somewhere else. Watching boot sequence of Ka-50´s nav computer will never start to bore me :-)

Oh, and the main reason I got here, thanks to pvtkramer from a long time lurker, first time poster for the link, Zipuli for the interview, very fine read, and his service.