• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
10 hours ago, Pandacat said:

Interesting.  Theoretically, M1 also needs good tracking at long range, right?  Why my performance on 2 vehicles so different?

Because the M1 builds a moving average of your tracking input with a longer history (1.5 seconds). The Leo 2 reacts faster to changes of direction, but is more fickle. Good arguments can be made for either way; we're just documenting what is.

Btw, do you press P before firing or at the same moment of firing.  I always keep P pressed, get a good track, then laze&blaze away.  I see, when I keep P pressed, sometimes "F" flips to "O" and back in quick succession.  Most likely my tracking was off in a quick moment, huh?

No, your tracking has no influence. But in heavy terrain the gun is not always in alignment with the line of sight (plus superelevation and lead angle), and if the deviation is too big - the gun position being outside of the "coincidence window" - the trigger is automatically blocked and the F changes to zero. This is also in the M1 and many other vehicles, but sometimes the fire control systems tolerate bigger deviations. In real life you rarely get to see this, but in a simulation we have an imperfect physical reaction chain (the terrain does not deform under the tank, so there are steeper and more rigid polygon edges than there are in real life); add to that a lower framerate in SB Pro PE than the frequency with which coincidence is being updated in real life, and add the inertia of the LEDs that create the gunner's display, and you can understand that this effect is more prominent in SB Pro than it is in real life.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:07 AM, Ssnake said:

Because the M1 builds a moving average of your tracking input with a longer history (1.5 seconds). The Leo 2 reacts faster to changes of direction, but is more fickle. Good arguments can be made for either way; we're just documenting what is.

No, your tracking has no influence. But in heavy terrain the gun is not always in alignment with the line of sight (plus superelevation and lead angle), and if the deviation is too big - the gun position being outside of the "coincidence window" - the trigger is automatically blocked and the F changes to zero. This is also in the M1 and many other vehicles, but sometimes the fire control systems tolerate bigger deviations. In real life you rarely get to see this, but in a simulation we have an imperfect physical reaction chain (the terrain does not deform under the tank, so there are steeper and more rigid polygon edges than there are in real life); add to that a lower framerate in SB Pro PE than the frequency with which coincidence is being updated in real life, and add the inertia of the LEDs that create the gunner's display, and you can understand that this effect is more prominent in SB Pro than it is in real life.

Oh, I see now.  Good explanation.  Thanx.

A couple of file organizational questions:

1. All the scenarios are saved on C: drive even though my main game folder is installed on D:.  I am very low on space on C.  Is there any way to move the scenario folders to the main game folder on D and have the game point to the right place?

2. I downloaded a custom campaign.  I unpacked in operations folder, but when I launched the game, I don't see it in the operations folder.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Pandacat said:

A couple of file organizational questions:

1. All the scenarios are saved on C: drive even though my main game folder is installed on D:.  I am very low on space on C.  Is there any way to move the scenario folders to the main game folder on D and have the game point to the right place?

2. I downloaded a custom campaign.  I unpacked in operations folder, but when I launched the game, I don't see it in the operations folder.

1.  The only option is to remap your users folder to your d drive.  Try googling junction magic or windows symbolic links for ideas.

2.  Custom campaign does not equal a operation.  Does it say to put it into the operations folder?  Try putting them into your my scenarios folder. 

• Members

The primary role of these heavy MGs, as far as I understand it, is anti-air fire. To that extent it doesn't matter in which direction they are placed by default. I'll leave it to the actual experts that may explain which constructive limitations may have forced the placement to the rear. Personally, having spent a part of my military career on Leopard 2A4s, I hate these bulky HMGs with a passion. Their additional combat value, compared with a stabilized 120mm gun, appears minimal. At the same time they obscure a significant portion of the field of view. I like my turret roofs uncluttered. Other tank commanders I spoke to would not want to miss their HMGs, so I guess it's a matter of personal upbringing/personal taste, or trade-offs.

Unsure but it is linked to the Soviet / Russian design idea of the turret hatches opening "forward" (i.e. the hatch covers most of the chest)?

Whilst it provides some protection I suspect it would make operating a MG painful and the Commander probably has to open up, grab the MG and then slew it and the hatch/cupola 180 Degrees to bring it to bear?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

The commander's sight is mounted to the whole cupola assembly. So, whenever the commander moves the sight, he has to move everything. To that extent turning the HMG around is not an extraordinary effort. You need to be fairly trained to be in the commander's position anyway, but hey - driving tanks is an activity for young men, and they tend to be reasonably fit.

I find the 50 cal on top of M1 is a lot more handier than the Russian gun.  AI gunner takes way too long to kill prone infantry using coaxial.  I like to charge em and grind em into mud.  If anyone dare to raise RPG, I'll hose him down with 50 cal.  The only thing I miss on Leo2 is the TC machine gun.  If you really want to declutter your turret, remove that damned machinegun on the loader side.  Out of all crew, TC spends more time outside the hatch than anyone else.  If TC doesn't get much chance to use his MG, the loader would prolly never use it at all.  Also, that MG blocks the view of the peri to the left side of the turret.  

Btw, a few more game play questions:

1. How do I reload my ATGM infantry teams.  Would load/unload from the parent vehicle reload their missile tubes?  Or I need send them over to the supply trucks to get more ammo?

2. Would supply trucks run out of ammo ever?

3. Is there a shortcut key for the video button on Leo2a6's TIM?  Like, if the gunner declare "identify", I want to see what he is aiming at without taking over the control of the turret.  I can click that button on TIM to quickly flip over to GPS extension to verify.  But a shortcut key would be whole lot faster than using mouse.  Something similar to F2 for M1A2's commander.  

Also a couple of licensing questions:

1. The 30 day license is computer specific.  I guess no way to transfer it to another computer?

2. If I buy the full license, do I need reinstall the game once I have the dongle?

3. Would SB Pro PE work on Mac?

36 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

I find the 50 cal on top of M1 is a lot more handier than the Russian gun.  AI gunner takes way too long to kill prone infantry using coaxial.  I like to charge em and grind em into mud.  If anyone dare to raise RPG, I'll hose him down with 50 cal.  The only thing I miss on Leo2 is the TC machine gun.  If you really want to declutter your turret, remove that damned machinegun on the loader side.  Out of all crew, TC spends more time outside the hatch than anyone else.  If TC doesn't get much chance to use his MG, the loader would prolly never use it at all.  Also, that MG blocks the view of the peri to the left side of the turret.  

The TC is supposed to lead the tank, not shooting at stuff :-P

28 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

Btw, a few more game play questions:

1. How do I reload my ATGM infantry teams.  Would load/unload from the parent vehicle reload their missile tubes?  Or I need send them over to the supply trucks to get more ammo?

2. Would supply trucks run out of ammo ever?

3. Is there a shortcut key for the video button on Leo2a6's TIM?  Like, if the gunner declare "identify", I want to see what he is aiming at without taking over the control of the turret.  I can click that button on TIM to quickly flip over to GPS extension to verify.  But a shortcut key would be whole lot faster than using mouse.  Something similar to F2 for M1A2's commander.  

1.: Both, But for the IFV, do a mount/dismount and they are bombed up again. In case of supply vehicles, place them next to them and wait a while...

2.: No

3.: Don't know...rarely use tank

Edited by Grenny

On 1/3/2017 at 11:36 AM, Grenny said:

1.: Both, But for the IFV, do a mount/dismount and they are bombed up again. In case of supply vehicles, place them next to them and wait a while...

2.: No

3.: Don't know...rarely use tank

It will be nice to have IFV serve a bit like supply truck for infantry.  Like you park your soldiers next to their parent IFVs then after a few minutes they are reloaded.  The problem with mount/dismount is sometimes dumb AI infantry gets stuck, especially in a forested area.  While you are busy with something else, by the time you turn your attention back to your squads, they are still spinning around, not able to climb back into their vehicles.  

Another few questions:

1. Some advanced tanks don't have engine smoke generators anymore?  Like M1A2, leo2a5? So they can only rely on smoke grenades and smoke arty for cover?

2. In mission editor, how do you change out the composition of an IFV's infantry composition?  Like I wan to swap a section of ATGM team for a mortar team.

3. In order to have rocket arty support, you need physically have a rocket arty units on map right?  Such as BM-21 in some corners of the map?

1 hour ago, Pandacat said:

It will be nice to have IFV serve a bit like supply truck for infantry.  Like you park your soldiers next to their parent IFVs then after a few minutes they are reloaded.  The problem with mount/dismount is sometimes dumb AI infantry gets stuck, especially in a forested area.  While you are busy with something else, by the time you turn your attention back to your squads, they are still spinning around, not able to climb back into their vehicles.  

Another few questions:

1. Some advanced tanks don't have engine smoke generators anymore?  Like M1A2, leo2a5? So they can only rely on smoke grenades and smoke arty for cover?

2. In mission editor, how do you change out the composition of an IFV's infantry composition?  Like I wan to swap a section of ATGM team for a mortar team.

3. In order to have rocket arty support, you need physically have a rocket arty units on map right?  Such as BM-21 in some corners of the map?

1. Yes, At least Leo2 I know for sure they don' have some generators

2. click on the mechinf platoon, chose "dismout troops"...click on the dismount team you want to change then (right click)..chooose change unit type...select what you need (Mortars etc etc)

3. It works with a BM21 on map, for other check out the "support " menue in the mission editor. I'm not sure, but there should be an option to enable Rocket arty..

4 hours ago, Pandacat said:

It might be "nice" but getting on board is more accurate as that's where the spare missiles are stored.

It would also be "nice" if the tank crews partially dismounted to reload their ammunition too rather than just a counter starting to tick over.

Personally I'd prefer the tank reload process to approach the Infantry one, rather than the other way around.

On 29.12.2016 at 10:07 AM, delta6 said:

Just a little item on the soviet tanks...Why are most of the .51 cal machine guns pointed to the rear??Wouldn't it make more sense to point them to the front???

On real T-72 MG mount`s ring  traverses  independently of  TC cupola(hatch assy), this is not modeled in SB, and MG  traversed to the front will badly restrict  TC`s field of view.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:16 AM, Grenny said:

1. Yes, At least Leo2 I know for sure they don' have some generators

2. click on the mechinf platoon, chose "dismout troops"...click on the dismount team you want to change then (right click)..chooose change unit type...select what you need (Mortars etc etc)

3. It works with a BM21 on map, for other check out the "support " menue in the mission editor. I'm not sure, but there should be an option to enable Rocket arty..

Just an another quick followup on 2.  Last night I grabbed a pzgrndier mission and changed units out to make an American version.  The only issue I have is when I change some of the dismounted rifle squad to ATGM team, they changed from American units to German ones. (i.e. they have Milan instead of Javelins).  I guess there is a master switch somewhere to specify your country.

34 minutes ago, Pandacat said:

Just an another quick followup on 2.  Last night I grabbed a pzgrndier mission and changed units out to make an American version.  The only issue I have is when I change some of the dismounted rifle squad to ATGM team, they changed from American units to German ones. (i.e. they have Milan instead of Javelins).  I guess there is a master switch somewhere to specify your country.

Many of these things are explained in the manual and/or the SB.wiki. I again would recommend reading them, as its saves a lot of time for you or the repliers here...

In the sce editor you have the general options for nationality in the by choosing in "camoflage" options (in german ist "uniform..." so not entirely sure of the english naming)

But this changes mainly the colours/rifles of the infantry.

For an ATGM team...right click on it, then choose the "optional weapon". This should give you all the playbale ATGM versions to choose from

Great.  Thanks for all the tips.  Just another question about infantry controlling.

1. Is there anyway to group a bunch of units and move them all at once.  For example, I need assault an occupied town with bmps and dismounted infantry.  I want my troops to move ahead in line abreast formation while bmps roll slowly behind to support with fire.  I don't want my infantry or bmps to get too far ahead or out of sync with each other.  Also, I want my whole coy to attack together.  If I assign route for each unit (squad or platoon) one at a time, some will move out way ahead of others and some will lag behind.  Was trying to find any info from the menu, but wasn't able to.  =(

2. Bazooka carrying soldiers sometimes have trouble firing in forested area.  For example, I discovered a tank among some trees.  I crawl some AT soldiers up.  I can clearly see the target in first person view and the AI would also take out its AT weapon to aim, but they just sit there and don't fire.  Sometimes, they aim their AT weapons and then goes back to prone and then just repeat aiming and proning without firing.  Unlike ATGM team where you can simply take control of the unit and fire yourself, Bazooka units are not crewable.  Often times, I found many golden opportunities of sneak attack got wasted.  

I'm sorry but at some point you need to read the manual and the Wiki and use this forum's search tool.

This whole thread is based on your random queries that imply laziness.

IMHO, please stop asking others to do your work for you.

1. Yes. There have been several posts on this already.

2. Yes, AI Infantry engaging vehicle targets is a known issue - again there is a multitude of posts on this.

Edited by Gibsonm