UI Scaling for UHD?

tarball

• Members

I would not recommend it, plain and simple.

The whole UI code needs to get reworked at some point (unfortunately that's another one of those major undertakings that per se do not deliver much in terms of functionality, but rather create a more solid foundation for future development). Let us finish the work on the new terrain engine first, please.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I return a year later, contemplating whether I should return to the SB Pro PE dance and ask this question: what is the status of 4K (UHD) support?  The last I heard was "I would not recommend it, plain and simple," is this still the case?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotar gave me the tip that windows scaling was the problem.  So, make sure your windows scaling is set to zero, then launch sb and pick a resolution less than 4k, like 2k.  In full screen mode.

Its annoying, but it works.  Just have to change scaling to zero before playing, then put it back to +125% or whatever you were using when done.

I don't have any doubt that our programmers can fix this, when they have time.    But it may be awhile, so at least there is a way.  

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Sorta-kinda. We know that something must be done. We know what's needed to do (unfortunately that's a lot). We want to do it. What's stopping us? That there's a lot of other stuff that competes for development time, most of which happens to be the stuff that helps us to earn money. As long as our .mil customers don't feel the pain as much as you do (and then some) it is not quite so likely that they are willing to spend money on getting it fixed. They would probably argue that this is why they are paying for maintenance, and I tend to agree with that, it's just that we can't live from maintenance fees alone. So we have to accept customization contracts, and they absorb development capacity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 5:30 AM, Major duck said:

Hi there

I have played for 2 months now with 3840 x 1080 with no problems what so ever the trick is to not scale to make it 1 to 1

sGuqcRkr.jpg

It is beautiful the only problem is i have to look from side to side all the time :D

MD 

Hello Major Duck,

Can you elaborate about this: "he trick is to not scale to make it 1 to 1"

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2018 at 8:32 PM, Major duck said:

Hi

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2015/12/08/display-scaling-in-windows-10/

an exampel of this is if you hold down ctrl and scroll with your middel mouse wheel to get icons larger or smaller

I hope this helps

MD

Is that what you do to handle the scaling? Do you have to hold down CTRL and scroll wheel when you enter the game?  I am reinstalling right now so I haven't had the occasion to try your advice yet (thanks for it though).

3 hours ago, tarball said:

Is that what you do to handle the scaling? Do you have to hold down CTRL and scroll wheel when you enter the game?  I am reinstalling right now so I haven't had the occasion to try your advice yet (thanks for it though).

Yes it has worked so far for me.

and your velcome

Its something you can do when ever not something you need for the install process i sometimes scale individual webpages  and bring the scaling back when i need to play SB

MD

• 9 months later...

It seems my annual pilgrimage back into the realm of SB leads me to the same general question regarding current handling of the 3840 x 2160 screen resolution. I found the previous suggestions helpful, but it still didn't seam like SB Pro PE was oriented to these higher resolutions in any intrinsic way and I lost interest.  Looking at my original post, It is apparent that I've had this monitor for close to 2 1/2 years now.  Did higher-res monitors not become impactful enough to accommodate?  I am considering grabbing the latest version and/or update, but wonder what developments are like on this front.

Thank you.

Edited by tarball

There hasn't been any changes as we've been on the same version, 4.023, since December 2017. The next update will hopefully be ready in June, but the only publicly confirmed features so far is the higher resolution terrain and some map editor features related to it. They've been keeping very quiet about any other features of the update, so I guess it's just a wait-and-see thing.

• Members
On 12/24/2016 at 1:27 AM, Ssnake said:

The whole UI code needs to get reworked at some point (unfortunately that's another one of those major undertakings that per se do not deliver much in terms of functionality, but rather create a more solid foundation for future development). Let us finish the work on the new terrain engine first, please.

There isn't much I can add here.

We're in the process of hiring a new guy specifically tasked to design the components of a new UI. But even then replacing a (literally) hand-written UI from 700,000 lines of legacy code is hard work with high development risk. It's somewhat inevitable to do it, so it will be done. But it's not something that we could or should do while we're still working on something like the new terrain which also changes everything. For the beta team, the last three years were hell, and with the GUI replacement, it's going to be one or two more years of hell, minimum.

• Members

So as far as practical recommendations are concerned... I hate it like every other guy if a game starts and a low-res intro screen messes up my desktop and resizes and moves all windows from background applications. So I have at some point begun to move them all into an "internment camp" (=other user account) on my machine, which unfortunately still isn't enough; I also need to close applications where the temporary resizing has an effect on my work desktop. Nevertheless, that other user account could be set to a permanently lower screen resolution, and then you could play Steel Beasts only from that account. When done, you log off and log on to your regular account. This would give you bigger text in Steel Beasts and somewhat contain the effects of screen resolution changes, at least until we got the GUI replacement under control..

• 2 years later...

Hello, any update on the UHD  situation? Also, the 2nd account approach is interesting.  I suspect, SB perhaps suffers from the same thing that Falcon BMS does although Pro PE doesn't have a graphics engine quite that old, but does seem to have UI elements that suffer from some of the same conditions.  I am currently attempting a re-install to get to 4.2 and will report experiences.  I do miss SB Pro PE and I haven't actually  played/touched it in getting on to a decade now.

Edited by tarball