Question about a Gun Accuracy Table and Range Finding Rate of Soviet Ballistic Computer

SpecialForcesODA391

Greeting from South Korea.

Since there's lots of men with knowledge about armor in this forum. I wish a favor for finding out sources for 2 information.

Firstly, a friend of mine told me about the accuracy of tanks. 

gun accuracy.png

I asked him where he found this data. But he told me he forgot where he did find this since too much time passed from that moment.

Accuracy of M60A1/T-62 was quite easy to find.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA392784

The Second one is about 1V528 ballistic computer's range-finding rate.

One day, one of my friends who speaks russian quite well showed me a product info. of russian(maybe ukrainian) gunner's primary sight.

It was written that range-finding rate of the sight after laser fired-off 0.3~3.0 seconds. 

I totally forgot the address of that product brochure.

I just want to figure out range-finding rate of gunner sight integrated with 1v528 type ballistic computer and LRF.

I heard it takes two~three seconds to send ranges and ballistic data for its gunner.

I'd be very appreciated if you help me finding links of these information.

gun accuracy.png

Edited by SpecialForcesODA391

• 2 weeks later...

On this forum they are taking about that: http://www.foro.elgrancapitan.org/viewtopic.php?p=850864, is in spanish but is just range tables, i with google translator you should be able to understand it(if not ask).

They say some of that info can be found on this book  Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army ,David C. Isby (1981).

• Members

...however, in 1981 our understanding of Soviet tanks was rather poor, despite all the valiant efforts of intelligence services. That's not to say that the book won't contain the info you're looking for, but I'd expect it to contain outdated or even misleading information with a far greater likelihood.

That data doesn't reveal too much to be useful for modelling purposes. Does the accuracy rate rule out human intervention, for example, in 1973 Arab gunners were subjectively reported as bad shots compared to their Israeli counterparts (I have several materials explaining how even at very close ranges with every advantage- the superior IR sights of T-55s and T-62s would still fail to detect or hit Israeli tanks which didn't have them at dusk or light conditions), how much of the tally is extrapolated from bad training and this sort of thing versus the accuracy of the machine and the gun system? Likewise, on the Syrian front in 1973, Israelis were able to do well despite overwhelming odds not simply because of the accuracy of their machines but because they had presighted range tables of the approaches rehearsed and insinuated into their drills so well so that when the real thing happened, it probably worked out much better than if the whole thing went down completely unprepared. If you see what I mean, you just get a crude figure without much context there.

Edited by Captain_Colossus

1) BV2 unit of 1V528-1  calculates solution in 10msec. Any modern FCS requires to track  target 1.5-2 seconds in order to obtain reliable averaged tracking rate and minimize human error, in case of 1A45- both AZ and EL tracking rates are accounted; additionally with 1A45, if target travel  direction is inbound or outgoing, you may need to re-lase in few seconds,  so FCS will additionally predict target`s speed based on range difference.

2) You can not  compare accuracy of weapon system just by grabbing some values  from some random sources, since you do not know:

a) all variables and conditions which were involved

b) methodology used to estimate said values

Edited by Jartsev