Welcome to Steelbeasts.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Scheintot887

Infantry fleeing

Posted (edited)

Hello Guys,

is it possible to make the infantry fleeing?

I realy don't like the typical scenario where a lot of infantry is getting engaged by a heavy tank and they're just looking at it.

My goal is to avoid that scenario and make it look realistic instead.

Speaking about the 'Mission Editor'.

Greetings.

Edited by Scheintot887

Yes.

Try an Retreat route with an "Embark if ..." criteria and under direct fire choice.

Awards

Are you realy sure this is working?

I've just tried it out and they're just looking at me in a prone position. Also there is an 'Retreat if' option (which I already have tried) but it is not working.

What I have done:

1. placed infantry on the map.
  2. gave them a 'march' route.
  3. then gave them an additional 'retreat' route (instantiate as third waypoint).
  4. on the retreat waypoint I declared the condition when to retreat.

Posted (edited)

Against a tank flight is no option anyway...or can you run at 50 km/h ;-)

The anti-tank handbook is to the point on that:"Who runs gets shot in the back, who just stays put gets crushed. Your Option is to stand and fight."

The problem in SB is more rooted in the lack of ground detail and cover...I hope next update will improve things here

Edited by Grenny

7 minutes ago, Scheintot887 said:

Are you realy sure this is working?

I've just tried it out and they're just looking at me in a prone position. Also there is an 'Retreat if' option (which I already have tried) but it is not working.

What I have done:

1. placed infantry on the map.
  2. gave them a 'march' route.
  3. then gave them an additional 'retreat' route (instantiate as third waypoint).
  4. on the retreat waypoint I declared the condition when to retreat.

Well if they are out in the open then probably not. The AI will opt to hunker down. But then that's the "least worse" option and you probably shouldn't be strolling across a parking lot towards an enemy tank.

If you are in some concealment (woods, etc.) then yes it will.

Awards

Posted (edited)

Okay, thank you for your help Gibsonm! 

I'll try it out tomorrow.

Greetings.

Edited by Scheintot887

Note the difference between "Retreat ROUTES" and "Retreat Conditions" on routes.

A Retreat Route has the movement tactic "Retreat". It may have a condition, or it may be unconditioned. Unconditioned routes will be followed if the implicit embark condition is met (if you don't know what I'm talking about, read chapter 8 of the user's manual, which you should be doing anyway, every day, before going to bed, and after rising in the morning).

A Retreat Condition will make a unit that is already moving along a route go back to the root waypoint of a route (note the difference in spelling, it matters). It is therefore possible to "retreat from a retreat", IOW, to NOT leave but remain firmly glued in place if you put a retreat condition on a retreat route. IOW, don't do that.

id be nice to add an option to the dismounts so that when they are staring down the barrells of a 120mm,.50 cal and a 240 to just go for it and let loose with everything they have and/or charge the tank and throw a couple of grenades down the open hatches or a satchel charge on the deck or track,you know like a sticky bomb.

10 hours ago, mpow66m said:

id be nice to add an option to the dismounts so that when they are staring down the barrells of a 120mm,.50 cal and a 240 to just go for it and let loose with everything they have and/or charge the tank and throw a couple of grenades down the open hatches or a satchel charge on the deck or track,you know like a sticky bomb.

that could be the "Banzai charge if..." condition, :ph34r:

I've had poor results using the 'RETREAT' route for infantry - they usually start walking backwards.

I've been scripting infantry to use an 'ASSAULT' route mixed with 'embark if' condition (80% causalities, under direct fire)

11 hours ago, mpow66m said:

Man i cant wait til esim fixes the grunts.

I guess there will always be 'room for improvement' with a game of this scale, but to be fair, there have been some nice improvements to infantry (among other things) recently.

they have for sure,but no its time for the crunchies.:D

On 1/4/2017 at 7:00 AM, Fincastle said:

that could be the "Banzai charge if..." condition, :ph34r:

Well, sometimes you're just up the creek without a paddle...

You can die because you had bad luck.  Because you were stupid.  Because your buddy was stupid and got you killed.  Because you were negligent.  Because lots of reasons.  But honestly, in some cases, playing the numbers game and saying "Running or waiting gets us all killed, but if we all grab something and rush, maybe we'll kill it before we're all dead..." isn't a bad idea...

I understand that infantry typically cross terrain like roads by sprinting across as a mob.  The idea is that going one at a time gives an MG or sniper you didn't see the chance to pick you off one at a time, but if he's shooting at the whole group some of you are pretty likely to make it across.  Or you might all get across before he can react and decide to shoot.  You just hope that you're not darting across and into an enemy ambush...

Soet of like what birds do when there is a hawk in the area.