TGIF 2017: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

Don't feel bad Sparty.  Last night I had control of 2 vehicles.  Each died within 10 seconds of coming into contact with the enemy.  I spent most of the time observing for teammates in the f8 view.  I've won, and lost many as a player, and as a Co since 2003 when tgif started.  Last night I was in the same boat as You.  Sometimes You are the Hammer, and sometimes You are the Anvil.  Forget it, and move on.  You will have a victory, Your confidence will rise, and all will be ok.  Until You get crushed again.   

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, sparty said:

To be  clear, I was offered another vehicle, but politely declined due to the poor outing I had.  We were down to precious few AFVs and I felt like my taking over one of them would have been wasted when in the hands of a more capable commander it would be more effective. Everyone was incredibly nice and helped troubleshoot a few issues I was having.  It was an overall good experience, but I don't want to feel that lost and useless when I join in because I'm competitive like other folks so I want to at least hold my own! :)

Your humility is appreciated but misplaced here.  For starters, TGIF is open to players of all skill levels.  Moreover, as Brun said, even experienced players get unhorsed quickly at times.  In my case last night, I managed to nurse my initial M1A1 through probably 2/3rds of the mission before getting killed.  But then I lost another two in rapid succession due to boneheaded play on my part.  Not the end of the world.  And, finally, this particular mission contemplated that each company-sized wave would be largely attrited by the time the next company reinforcement wave arrived.  It's not like I (or probably anyone) expected the initial allotment to last more than 30-40 minutes at best.

Bottom line: if you skip TGIF, the AI will have to take your place.  So, you only need to be better than the AI, and that's a pretty low bar.  

lol...hadn't considered that...I am better than the AI (future AI should note...I'm talking about 2017 AI...future AI remains our benevolent overlord) so that definitely makes me feel better.  I may give it a go next Friday.

Edited by sparty

you will at kanium just like everyone else

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11254-kanium-sunday-22nd-jan-4-mektstos-part-2-by-swordsmandk/

we have 3 rules and you don't have to be a member (and you can even be a member of other VUs):

1.)If you sign up you show up or let the organizers know so the can reassign people to cover holes in the orbat.

2.) Family is more important then this sim

3.) Behave and try and make it a good experience for everybody

No worries Sparty,  when I used to have time and participate in TGIF,s, there would be missions I  got zero kills, 1 kill, or many kills.  Like brun said, its part of everybody who participates.  sometimes your the fly, sometimes your the windshield.   Wish I had the time now cause I would definitely love to join in again and kill some tanks and get killed too.  Its all in the fun. 

• Moderators

20 JAN scenario:

Bridge Crossing Heavy 2013-4010-OMU

This is an oldie, slightly tweaked for 4.010.

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• There will be a draft.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

I got an error loading the mission Volcano. This was in the log. Do we need to install the Ft Benning map?

[17:46:21,476] ERROR: Cannot open Height map...''
[17:46:21,476] ERROR: Error loading height map: 'FT_Benning_10m_299vu.hgt'
[17:46:21,476] ERROR: Could not load height map FT_Benning_10m_299vu.hgt

[17:46:21,476] ERROR: *** Failed Reading Tag: 4

• Moderators

27 JAN scenario:

Border Dispute 2013-4010-MAD

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• There will be a draft.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.

• Moderators

3 FEB scenario:

6k Front 2013-4010-M1A2-OMU

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• There will be a draft.

NOTES:

• Moderators

10 FEB scenario:

Brush Fire-Town Dispute-UN playable-4010a

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• Need three COs: UN side, Lubango side, Luena side. Basically all sides are against each other.
  • There will be no actual time allowed to plan in the planning phase. Once everyone is in the planning phase, a timer will be started -- all sides have TWO MINUTES to move units in their deployment zones and then the mission will begin. Actual planning is expected to occur during the mission (or not at all).
  • This can be a short scenario. If it is over within 40 to 60 minutes then we may consider playing it again (since there is no time spent in planning).
  • There will not be a draft.

NOTES: