Nercon

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, haraldhe said:

Ssnake means to say: paying customers are more important then private people entitled to free updates/upgrades.-_-

That is not what he said. And I strongly disagree with  your personal interpretation. 

Edited by Grenny

10 hours ago, haraldhe said:

Ssnake means to say: paying customers are more important then private people entitled to free updates/upgrades.-_-

Well if you are paying salaries and putting bread on your table at home then yes that makes sense.

If the paying customers aren't satisfied and the contracts disappear, then there would be a drastically reduced resource base for any development. 

However whilst being a member of a "paying customer" I also endorse the view that eSim has provided excellent support to its "mere" (to borrow your tone) private people.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Any development that we do is directly or indirectly dependent on profits earned from sales to military customers; most of our work you get from direct development to some army customer, some of it (like the M60, T-72, BMP-2, BRDM, BTR, ...) you get because we can afford to work on it, thanks to profits made from previous military sales.

That being said, while being an important aspect, this is actually of secondary relevance; what really matters is that we have contractual obligations to fulfill, and contractual obligations always have the highest priority. A contract is a contract is a contract, period. (If I promise to the general public that we will deliver a new terrain engine, free of charge, to all customers of the 4.0 version, that actually is a contract too; it's just that there's no deadline tied to it (and no late delivery penalty payment).)

Losing support contracts, and losing an army customer as a contract partner for new customizations would eventually hurt you PE customers worse than a delay of a release by a few months. You will eventually get your update, rest assured about that. I made a promise. I will keep that promise. But you have to understand certain realities. Even if we did not depend on army money to finance our work, we would still depend on armies granting us access to armored combat vehicles. Ask yourself how likely it would be to get that access if we weren't working for them?

That is ok, but dont go public with promises about new patch next time tho... 

I dont see the point in making public announcements about something you cant deliver for like a year... Just publish it once it is ready next time.

Edited by BigBadVuk

4 minutes ago, BigBadVuk said:

That is ok, but dont go public with promises about new patch next time tho... 

I dont see the point in making public announcements about something you cant deliver for like a year... Just publish it once it is ready next time.

You know how to push the wrong buttons mate. 

You are not helping with supporting an open and transparent communication between esim and the users... esim with their best intentions giving insights into their work and they go beyond what many companies would do for their customers to provide us with as much information as possible. 

If you prefer only to know when a patch or release truly come out it is better if you follow the standard sales pages to see public patch releases when they come out. 

• Members

I will be the first to acknowledge that I could have been more careful and reserved about the announcements. But there is the problem that I must announce what's in an update at a point where not everything is settled. We announced the new terrain in 2016 in good faith because we had it working. Okay, there were issues with a certain loss of flexibility in map editing that we developers didn't see/didn't take as serious as they were, until the only solution was to cut the new terrain engine and at least release what we had. That was in August 2016.

Next I was pressed to make a statement when the promised feature of the new terrain engine actually WOULD be delivered, and our best estimate at the time was six months. Unfortunately we didn't take into account the changes that were made to infantry pathfinding at the same time which, for efficiency reasons, had to be made in the same code branch as the new terrain. THEN it turns out that the changes there are both good, but also come with a few serious bugs that again we cannot release the software with the high res terrain without creating more damage in other places. OK, so we delay the release again to fix those infantry bugs.

At the same time we're running into problems with an entirely unrelated project that's just eating up a lot of development time, which inevitably takes away from the time needed to fix the PE beta so it's mature for a release. And THEN we overshoot the window of opportunity for a release, at which point a lot of other projects HAVE to be given priority. These non-linear effects are difficult to predict. The only way around that would be to remain extremely vague and non-committal in all public communication, or to release bug-ridden garbage on time. Both options, I think, are not in your interest as mature consumers of our product. You want to be informed in time, you want to know what to expect, you want adherence to deadlines, and you want mature and stable software at a reasonably low price.

There's the adage that in software development, of the three categories "cheap", "good", and "fast" you may only pick two without compromising. Sometimes things just don't work out as planned. I can but ask any reader of this forum to take my predictions with a grain of salt. The future always was, and will always remain to be inherently unknown. Only CPT Hindsight can predict the past (when teaming up with CPT Obvious). We mere mortals have to make do with estimations.

• Members
20 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

so any chance we would get the loader in M1A1 station animated from these contracts? Since you have access to vehicles IRL? ?

a) We don't have access to any vehicle at any time

Rather, every vehicle with crew position in SB Pro is proof that we had access at least once (or otherwise sufficient information)

b) I don't expect us to animate loaders within then next two years, but after that it might happen.

On November 6, 2017 at 4:03 AM, Bond_Villian said:

Hey wildbillkelsoe, theres a 'wishlist' thread over here http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/4546-steel-beasts-content-wish-list/?page=223

Sorry 

On November 6, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Ssnake said:

a) We don't have access to any vehicle at any time

Rather, every vehicle with crew position in SB Pro is proof that we had access at least once (or otherwise sufficient information)

b) I don't expect us to animate loaders within then next two years, but after that it might happen.

no problem, fingers crossed and sure enough looking forward to it

On 11/6/2017 at 10:34 AM, Ssnake said:

I played a game with animated loaders.  The loader animations were great.

Everything else sucked donkey **** and I uninstalled it IMMEDIATELY...

I think I can live without animated loaders.  Maybe just bend his wrists around so it doesn't look like he's holding an invisible rifle?