Nercon

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/5/2017 at 10:08 AM, inexus said:

You know how to push the wrong buttons mate. 

You are not helping with supporting an open and transparent communication between esim and the users... esim with their best intentions giving insights into their work and they go beyond what many companies would do for their customers to provide us with as much information as possible. 

If you prefer only to know when a patch or release truly come out it is better if you follow the standard sales pages to see public patch releases when they come out. 

We are talking here about delay of 12+ months, not day or two or weeks because patch with terrain was supposed to happen somewhere around summer 2016, i cant even recall the exact month.... And even by saying that i really dont have any grudge against SSnake or his company - they are giving us something we could only dream off before year 2000... 

AS someone with 10+ years of Xp in gaming community handling, im simply stating dont go public with date or announcements until you are 110% sure you can hit that date. It is bad for company image and it aggravate players without a reason because they expect the patch. Nothing more.. If you thought im pushing your buttons on purpose, then i apologize.  I had zero intentions to troll you or any other member of this community. 

• Members

If you want absolute certainty, I can go back to the mode of announcing "Oh, we just uploaded a new version, by the way"

If that's what you want, all you need is to check the eSim Games Downloads page for changes.

If you want information in advance - like the vast majority of readers of this forum want - you'll have to live with the fact that my predictions about the future not always turn out to be accurate. In 2016 we HAD a working high res terrain, but it lacked in usability because of some changed workflow that was considered too restrictive. This forced us to release 4.0 without the high res terrain support. The user interface had to be redesigned. Our projections suggested half a year of work to do so, which then turned out to be more like eight months. Six months or eight, not too bad either. But then you have "events" and the delays caused by them result in non-linear effects (when you have collisions with other projects, and/or interdependencies). Once that you have a collision between two projects there's a cascade of collisions where either everything goes down, or you decide to pull out one element and push it back to the end of the queue so you can save the rest.

This is what happened. I'm sorry about that, but unapologetic. We need those other development project to earn money. Without that money, no PE version. With those other projects come contractual obligations and hard deadlines. They took priority in the past, they will receive priority in the future. This is nothing new to anyone following our work.

So, again, all I can say is that our announcements reflect the best of our knowledge at the time that we make these announcements. Note that I stopped making predictions since about July, yet it is you and others in this thread who are poking me to make new predictions. So some hate me for not making predictions, others hate me for confusing my projections with promises. We have two different words for these because they aren't the same. 110% certainty is not only mathematically ludicrous, even if we reduce it to 100% certainty it means not to make any announcements, ever, at all, until after the fact, at which point the whole thing loses is usefulness.

I could of course publish our entire development schedule in its full glory and update it on a weekly basis. But, well, it contains business secrets. I'm not at liberty to reveal everything. In summary, you will have to learn to live with a certain degree of obscurity and lack of certainty.

In this world, nothing is certain - but death, and taxes.

2 hours ago, Fincastle said:

This discussion brings to mind this quote from a certain philosopher that some here might know,

"I demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty,

... and that is not a demand."

:D

Well said.

But I am a little more crude about it.

Shit-happens-600x300.jpg

On 11/19/2017 at 4:48 AM, BigBadVuk said:

...it aggravate players without a reason because they expect the patch. Nothing more.. If you thought im pushing your buttons on purpose, then i apologize.  I had zero intentions to troll you or any other member of this community.

Hang in there, BigBadVuk! Lots of scenarios you can try out while you wait; dabble in some mission editing...or even map editing to kill tons of time. :)

One solution that can make everyone happy while we wait is rather simple. Videos. Yeah yeah there's one about "dted is dead" that shows new terrain but just showing a few new minutes of a progress made can chill everyone. Especially if there is more to the upcoming patch than just a terrain engine.

3 hours ago, kraze said:

One solution that can make everyone happy while we wait is rather simple. Videos. Yeah yeah there's one about "dted is dead" that shows new terrain but just showing a few new minutes of a progress made can chill everyone. Especially if there is more to the upcoming patch than just a terrain engine.

And the net result of that is:

1. People have to be taken off doing the wrok to make the video.

2. People see the video and say "well if you can make a video then why can't you release it".

Any comments about it being a special case or being done on only one map and it doesn't work universally, etc. will be lost in the clamour.

Edited by Gibsonm

I don't know if this other solution would make other happy, but me surely yes. Make SteelBeast dx11 compatible (and leave the dx9 to the army clients). If not in the 4.x version, in the 5.x one. That would carry better graphics, more polygons, more FPS... etc.... 

But I think this was discussed in the past...

3 hours ago, Japo32 said:

I don't know if this other solution would make other happy, but me surely yes. Make SteelBeast dx11 compatible (and leave the dx9 to the army clients). If not in the 4.x version, in the 5.x one. That would carry better graphics, more polygons, more FPS... etc.... 

But I think this was discussed in the past...

Again AIUI, making it DX11 compliant isn't a simple task.

Potentially we are then throwing the baby out with the bathwater in terms of finding that the work done to date to get the new terrain to work in DX9 is lost as they "start over" for DX11.

Also I think trying to maintain two development paths (and effectively two incompatible versions, say Word vs Word Perfect) for both SB Pro PE and SB Pro is unworkable - there's enough work to do just maintaining / updating the current common base line.

Edited by Gibsonm

Woooosaaah ...... WOOOOOsaaaah 

Stay in motion, Keep the goal in your sights, Overcome difficulties in the order they present themselves.

And never EVER give up or stop moving forward, instead adjust your solutions to the reality you are in.

I want the Terrain as much as anyone and hoped they would be here now as well as improved infantry mechanics, but pushing will in all likelihood not facilitate a faster solution. 

But always expect adversity and always expect that any plan laid will never survive contact with reality. It is what it is.

Edited by Nike-Ajax

On 29/11/2017 at 6:26 AM, Kingtiger said:

Wolfseven is just pulling a classical, ironic joke from IL2 days, Oleg Maddox always said "Two weeks" to when a thing was implemented, so it became a joke, like WW2 Steelbeats will be here in two weeks. 

/KT

The famous " 2 more weeks"

6 hours ago, Froggy said:

The famous " 2 more weeks"

I agree, this phrase has been used by many dev´s.  The airframe we flew in the acrobatic team I used to be in for DCS was always due in "two weeks", said by the dev/leader of the team.  It´s still not finished, and that was three years ago :D

So when some bug would creep up, it was like, "when is this going to be fixed" we would ask, and the reply was..."In two weeks"!  By this Iam not saying this is the same case, Iam just saying it´s a tipical phrase dev´s use, like "it´s done when it´s done".

Back to the reality check, Iam no code wiz or anything alike, but back in the day´s, I did some research regarding maps for my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx for my mountaineering needs, and at the time, maps were done with apps like "Autocad" were you use "nodes" to fix positions (summits) and terrain relief´s.  Iam sure there´s better solutions now day´s but that dosen´t mean it´s a easy job, or easy to implement to the point were disk space and CPU resources are not contemplated for the end user.  To find a balance and make the whole thing happen must be quite challenging.

Just my €0.2 worth...

On 11/28/2017 at 11:26 PM, Kingtiger said:

Oleg Maddox always said "Two weeks" to when a thing was implemented, so it became a joke, like WW2 Steelbeats will be here in two weeks.

Where did you read about a Panther made from a wood?  Throw that book away and never look at it again!

Edit: For those not in the know, this was originally a response to someone claiming that Spitfires were made from wood, to which Oleg's response was "Where did you read about a Spitfire made from a wood?  Throw that book away and never look at it again!"

Edited by Maj.Hans